tonneau cover

tonneau cover

Postby daves on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:46 pm

I will be getting a flexiglass canopy fitted in about 3 wks so I have to remove cover, that looks easy just drill rivots out but have heard the double sided tape can be a bugger ,if anyone has done this any tips to make it easier cheers any help would be appreciated
daves

Re: tonneau cover

Postby Terror on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:35 pm

pop the plastic end caps off and then get a flatblade screwdriver or something under one end of the rail and work along it. After a while it should just pop off. I'ts pretty easy really.

A tip, try and keep the tape stuck to the rail and not your tub, it will want to stay stuck to one or the other and is a bastard to get off later.
Terror

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Soak any leftover tape with some Prepsol (aka wax & grease remover). It will soften the glue and allow easy removal. Use a trim removal tool rather than a screwdriver which is more likely to leave damage when levering.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby daves on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm

cheers will have a go on the weekend
daves

Postby Robbo59 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:25 am

Hi guys first post here, but if anyone wants to remove residual glue or adhesive left over from double sided tape or masking tape hit it with some fly spray.

I had a problem with masking tape left on windows at home in excess of five years, tried all sought of glue remover, chemicals ,etc to no avail.

Then decided to google it , obviously thousands of hits but one hit suggested fly spray and low and behold it worked with only a little bit of rubbing.

The guy was using it on his cars that he was restoring.

Robbo 59

Impending Triton Owner
Robbo59

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:31 am

And it makes faded headlights look clear again too.....................for a little while.

As a spray painter I've seen the aftermath of some of these Google wonders. Stick with Prepsol/Wax & Grease Remover. It won't harm the paint, and it will dissolve the glue. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DaveXT on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Are you selling the tonneau cover?
DaveXT

Postby daves on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:10 pm

finally got around to taking cover and sports bar off ,that double sided tape was a pain but all good just got to clean holes up prob just put rivots back in tried one and looks quite neat ,so anyone in south australia after a cover or sports bar??? was thinking $250 for cover and $50 for bar
daves

Return to Exterior Mods