Mq triton bullbars/winch blocking intercooler

Mq triton bullbars/winch blocking intercooler

Postby Switch-47 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 am

Hi all I have installed a mcc rocker bar and a 1200lb winch on my MQ.
The position of the winch is directly in front of the intercooler and on a couple of occasions the fenders are getting really hot and a bubbling boiling noise can be heard.

Now I'm generally leaning towards the winch as the problem ?

Is there a fix for this (ie moving intercooler ?). Or Am I just having to remove the winch altogether. ?

Ta :cry:
Switch-47

Re: Mq triton bullbars/winch bloking intercooler

Postby jerrah on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:44 am

The coolant shouldn't be bubbling. I thought I heard a bubbling noise when I turned off my motor but it turned out to be my AC gasses. If the coolant is bubbling you should get someone to check it out with a scantool and find out what temperatures your coolant is really running at!
jerrah

Postby Switch-47 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 am

Yeh going to see Mitsubishi today to get an idea of what's going on
Switch-47

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 am

Fenders? You mean guards?

How can radiator heat transfer to the guards? And, if it did, what is near the guards that is liquid and could get hot enough to boil?

Think this through. The intercooler is air to air so no liquid in there to bubble/boil. If the radiator is the culprit then you should see the temperature rise on the gauge on the dash.

There have been lots of these MCC Rocker bars installed and I can't say I've seen a single mention of them contributing to overheating. However, the dealers quite regularly use this as an easy way out. Don't be fooled, it's highly unlikely that the bar and/or winch is causing the problem.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Switch-47 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 am

Yeh drivers side front guard.

So for the dummies (me) the Mq triton has an air to air intercooler so the boiling and excessive heat can only be the radiator? On an MQ the intercooler is directly in front of the radiator down towards the bottom so still restricting air flow because of the winch ?
Switch-47

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I doubt it. The intercooler does cover part of the radiator but most of the radiator gets good clean flow through the grille. Does your temperature gauge show any particularly high temps? Would have to be up near the "H" mark to be boiling.

I can't explain heat in the guards, unless that's how engine heat is routed out but the big heat generators are turbo, exhaust and cat convertor and they're all at the side/back on one side with airflow going under the car.

If you have a Scangauge or similar you can look at air temperature in the intake manifold. Any problem with the intercooler is likely to manifest itself with unusual temperatures here.

Where's the coolant overflow bottle in the MQ? Is that what you're hearing? As said above, it shouldn't make any noise unless air is getting into the system, but it's one more thing to check.

Honestly, I really don't think that your bar/winch are the cause of any problem. Can you give some more detail on when this happens? After a long hard run or just sitting idling? A/C on or off? Can you make it do it? How?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby stefanos on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Υes...the intercooler and winch have some block on the radiator.If you touch the left upper quarter of the radiator (at about 90 deg) you'll see that it's more cooler than the other places of the rad......the left lower quarter ( the inlet of the radiator) is more warmer...
I have noticed that, when I take off the rope of the winch I see lower Inlet manifold temp on scangauge.
I'm gonna install the IC to another place
stefanos

Postby Switch-47 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Pulled my grille of and the upper Plastic guard -
Question what's the 3rd radiator up on the top left ( looking at the front) ?
Switch-47

Postby jerrah on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:07 pm

You'll have a radiator, intercooler, ac heat exchanger and if you have an auto (I don't) you'll probably have an automatic cooler.
jerrah

Return to Exterior Mods