Tub misalignment

Tub misalignment

Postby Enid_Triton on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 am

I have a MN Triton dual cab 4x4, & I was wondering if the Tub can move/slide on the chassis?
I went bush in the old girl the other week,and the terrain was steep but nothing dramatic, just a couple of steep hills & a few washouts but it was not chassis bending Territory. I reckon I could have driven my Falcon ute on the same track.
Anyway when I was removing the mud & Cow dung with the pressure cleaner I noticed that the front left side of the tub now sits closer to the cabin than the right side does. There is now about 10-15mm difference between the two sides.
All i can think that may have happened is that the Tub might have moved because there was no strain on the chassis at all.
I do not see how it would or could have bent to position the tub where it is now. Would movement be possible?
Enid_Triton

Re: Tub misalignment

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi Enid

It is possible that the tub has moved, as there is some scope of adjustment.

Some of the mounting bolts may not have been done up tight from the factory or worked loose.

Have you actually tried to pull the closer side back?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Tub misalignment

Postby Enid_Triton on Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:35 am

Hi RHKTriton
No i haven't tried moving it yet, but I will give it a go.
On closer inspection it seems to have moved sideways & not forward as I first thought.
Because the tub has those two added curved pieces of metal to fill the gaps on each side between the cab & the tub which sort of curve around the cabin, the sideways movement of the tub makes it look like it has slid forward on one side because the left one now sits closer to the cabin.
But I measured the gap directly behind the cab to the top of the tub & it is the same on both sides, so it hasn't slid forward.
So, I think you are probably right about the tub bolts being loose from the factory.
Yesterday afternoon I got my mate to drive it & I followed him & it doesn't Crab down the road. That is usually a good sign that nothing is bent.
Thanks
Enid_Triton

Return to Exterior Mods