Roof racks question

Roof racks question

Postby Bitsamissing on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 pm

I have an MQ Club Cab with a Carryboy canopy. I had to buy two pairs of roof racks; one for the cabin (using the built-in mounting points), and one for the canopy (which has longitudinal roof bars).

The roof racks are primarily for carrying long kayaks so I normally only use one rack on the cabin and one on the canopy.

I have some long (RHS) steel bars with padded V-shaped supports at each end to support the kayaks without risk of damage.

My question is: Is it okay to rigidly connect (via my steel bars) a roof rack on the cabin to one on the canopy, or should I account for some flex (of the chassis) between the two? I wouldn't like to be applying enough stress to the roof rack mounts to damage something... and then have my kayak fly of the roof at speed and spear through the windscreen of an oncoming car...
Chris
MQ Club Cab Ute
Bitsamissing

Re: Roof racks question

Postby Rhamer on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Guys at ARB told me never ever to do that.
They claim to have many busted canopies returned because of this.
Rhamer

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 am

There was a video posted on this forum (some time ago now) which showed the amount of flex these vehicles (MN)experience, l would suggest that if you were to rigidly connect the two racks damage is far more likely than not.

Not a great idea IMHO.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:48 am

I see so many tradies tying up materials and ladders across four roof bars, wondering about the stresses acroos the canopy,tray bars and the roof bars.

With your long kayaks, pick two points that support it properly and have sufficient rubber in the supports to allow for flexing. I would use elastic ties with a safety strap to stop the kayak shooting off in an accident situation.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bitsamissing on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks for those responses guys.

I will work out a way to allow for the flex.
Chris
MQ Club Cab Ute
Bitsamissing

Postby flyeroz on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:53 am

Check out Rhino-Rack T-Load Tow Ball Mount
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/tr ... unt_rtl007
Designed for carrying long kayaks.
Might be what you are looking for.
flyeroz

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:04 pm

If it’s tied down on the canopy & sitting in the kayak holder on cab with firm adjustment, my kayak flexes a bit anyway. If you are driving down the boat ramp from home less of a problem than if you are 4x4ing to the kayak spot. If you move the tie down points wider on the cab, it holds it down well but allows some flex. How long is the Yak ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Return to Exterior Mods