Sports Bar Installation

Sports Bar Installation

Postby igs on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi Fellas,

I've had my MQ GLX+ for around a year and just purchased a genuine sports bar. I may get a soft tonneau cover in the future so I need to get the location of the sports bar spot on. I'm after a bit of help:

1) What is the location of the bolt hole closest to the front of the ute? A measurement from matching the image would be great, of if anyone could post a photo it would be much appreciated.

2) Less important, but I'm curious to know how the bar is installed from the shop? There is no access under the rail to get a nut behind there so is there nut back there, presumably installed by removing the guards in the wheel well, or is it tapped, or a rivet nut installed?

Click to view larger picture

And as I'm new - I've taken a look and haven't found any posts on this topic under the fifth gen section. Thanks for any help!
igs

Re: Sports Bar Installation

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 pm

you should have a set of captive nuts. The front ones are on a bar about 6 inches long and slide up inside the tub behind the mounting. Where you have it looks too far forward, especially if you get soft tonneau later on.

ill get a pic tomorrow if you want
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby igs on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:44 pm

A pic would be great Dibby, thank you.
igs

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:55 pm

This is standard install
This is with tonneau fitted
This is same but slightly different angle showing rail for tonneau in it
This is inside tub, front mounting
Rear mounting
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:59 pm

You can see that your position needs to be slightly back. The bolts either side of the mounting bolt into the captive nut plates. How we position them is mark the plate securing holes and drill them, then mark the bar holes and drill those, then slide plates up under lip of tub and secure using 8x1.25 bolts
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby igs on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:47 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:You can see that your position needs to be slightly back. The bolts either side of the mounting bolt into the captive nut plates. How we position them is mark the plate securing holes and drill them, then mark the bar holes and drill those, then slide plates up under lip of tub and secure using 8x1.25 bolts

Yep, I see that I need to move it back a bit, and the installation process makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to share!
igs

Postby Mooch on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:16 pm

I’ve just bought a 2019 GLX and someone is selling a used sports bar from a 2017 model. Anyone know if it will fit?
Mooch

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:01 pm

yes it will fit
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Mooch on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:09 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:yes it will fit

Awesome thanks
Mooch

Postby abarrenger on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi guys, I'm going to put nutserts into my tray to fit my sportsbar as i received no mounting plates with it and was just wondering what the actual distance is for the first picture on this thread that has the measurement location in red. Thanks in advance
abarrenger

Return to Exterior Mods