EGR Canopy Rear Window Gas Struts

EGR Canopy Rear Window Gas Struts

Postby gordyMR on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Had a great trip this weekend but managed to reverse into a tree with the factory fitted (EGR) canopy rear window/door open :oops: End result was the rear window/door was forced upwards beyond limits and both gas struts popped out taking the small ball joints with them. One hinge looks to have broken as well. Door has stayed on and functions, but obviously won't stay open without the gas struts (pretty solid door through!).

Both of my brackets (left and right on the canopy window/door) have a bend in them where the gas strut connects. I am not sure if this is by design or bent as a result of my poor reversing.

I am hoping someone with an EGR canopy fitted could take a couple of photos of where the gas strut connects with the window bracket to show:
1. The shape of the bracket where the gas strut connects. Is the bracket flat or does it have a bend?
2. A close up of the reverse side of the bracket to show how the ball-joint (that the gas strut sits on) is secured. I am thinking that each ball joint can be spot welded back into place.

My Triton is the 2020 version however, I understand the EGR factory fitted canopy fits the 2015 Triton onwards.

Thanks!
gordyMR

Re: EGR Canopy Rear Window Gas Struts

Postby gordyMR on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

OK, so after a bit of googling I think I might have the answer.

My reversing managing to rip each of the ball studs out of their housings. Dunn & Watson sell a pack of two 10mm ball studs with attaching nuts for the princely sum of $2.75. In theory, I can replace the factory fitted ball studs with these $2.75 versions and rehouse each of the gas struts. I shudder to think what Mitsubishi would charge.

I will report back if and when I get this fixed. This post might aid some other idiot who reverses with their canopy rear window open.
gordyMR

Re: EGR Canopy Rear Window Gas Struts

Postby harmigera on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:11 am

FYI

Received a recall from EGR with regards to a fire risk to their canopies fitted to Tritons from May 2018 to February 2021.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/mi ... y-recalled
harmigera

Return to Exterior Mods