Towbar Bolts Loosening

Towbar Bolts Loosening

Postby Harveytile on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 pm

So I was washing my nice new GLX Triton and got to the tow bar, washed the bolts and noticed two bolts were totally loose and held in place by a few threads of the flange head bolts. Checked all the other nuts / bolts and found of the 16, 14 had at least 1/8th of a turn needed to nip them up. Not to FT specs, just nipped up!

After an admittedly snotty email to the dealer, I was rewarded with a blank copy of the recall notice I should receive in the post shortly...

SAFETY RELATED RECALL 010099-010100
FIRST NOTIFICATION MARCH 2016
Dear Mitsubishi Owner of [Insert VIN]
At Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd (MMAL), we are committed to continual product quality improvement to ensure the safety and satisfaction of all our customers. We are writing to inform you that as a precautionary measure we are recalling selected 16MY MQ Triton and QE Pajero Sport vehicles fitted with a genuine Mitsubishi tow bars.
Description of Problem
MMAL has identified that the fitted flange head bolts may loosen in use. MMAL will replace these fitted flange head bolts and nuts with conventional bolts, spring washers, flat washers and nuts.
Hazard
If the bolts become loose, the towbar can become detached from the vehicle creating a safety hazard to the occupants and other parties.
What to do
Our records indicate that you currently own one of the vehicles that may be fitted with an affected towbar. We ask that you contact your selling Dealer or, if that is not convenient, the nearest Mitsubishi Dealer to make an appointment to have the vehicle rectified.
Until this rectification is performed, we advise that you should not tow with the vehicle.
Note: If your vehicle is NOT equipped with a Mitsubishi towbar, please complete and return the Customer Feedback Form attached.
Contact Information
If you do not have the Dealer phone number available, please call 1300 13 12 11, select option 2 and enter the post code of your selling Dealer to be re-directed to that Dealer or your post code to be re-directed to the nearest Dealer.
Your cooperation in taking this action will ensure that no further correspondence will be mailed to yourself on this subject.
When presenting your vehicle, please hand this letter to your Mitsubishi Dealer. This will be used by your Dealer to advise us that the correction has been carried out on your vehicle and enable our records to be updated accordingly.
If you require any further information relating to this recall please call 1300 13 12 11 and select option 4.
MMAL regrets any inconvenience caused to you by the need for this action which is taken in the interest of safety and continued customer satisfaction.
Yours faithfully
Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited
Yoshi Tatewaki
Head of Field Service & Warranty
Please turn over
Harveytile

Re: Towbar Bolts Loosening

Postby gspy4u on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:06 am

that's why i fitted mine myself so i made sure everything was tight and locktighted as well. Also saved money too :-)
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby damo83 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 am

damo83

Postby schilgsy on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Got my recall letter today, fingers crossed it's the last.
schilgsy

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:29 pm

schilgsy wrote:Got my recall letter today, fingers crossed it's the last.

Me too! I was wondering if I'd receive one as I got theirs last minute and fitted it myself.

Gotta book her in for the 15000 service for next week so should have it sorted
Tasc4life

Postby Logzy on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Got mine done yesterday as it went in for its 15,000 service.
Logzy

Postby andelect on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:39 am

Tried to book mine for next week and got told shortage at the moment, try in a few weeks.
andelect

Postby coughy on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:08 am

andelect wrote:Tried to book mine for next week and got told shortage at the moment, try in a few weeks.

Until this rectification is performed, we advise that you should not tow with the vehicle.
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Harveytile on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Had mine done by mobile mechanic from the dealer. All new shiny 10.9 bolts, spring washers, std washers, and nuts. Old skool still works. Don't change it...
Harveytile

Postby Tim650 on Tue May 03, 2016 11:44 am

Just done 2,700km round trip to Fraser Island towing an offroad camper trailer weighing around 1.3t. Come back from the trip, got my 15k service done and noticed the towbar recall had been done. Mustn't be too bad or my camper would be sitting somewhere on Fraser with my towbar still attached :lol:
Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight, yet few people can see bugger all right in front of them!

Regret hurts more than failure ....
Tim650

Return to Warranty/Recalls