Outside Temp sensor?

Outside Temp sensor?

Postby jim80h on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:31 am

I have just picked up my new MQ GLS. Well, 200km now. My outside Temp display was showing 2C yesterday afternoon. It was about 21 outside. This morning when I got in, it had gone up to 6C. Anyone else having this sort of trouble?
jim80h

Re: Outside Temp sensor?

Postby Grosit01 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Yep mine is off too, not that much
Grosit01

Postby jim80h on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 am

Update: My temp sensor seems to have self healed. All seems OK now. :roll:
jim80h

Postby JKAY on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Yeah interestingly enough mine seems to play up some time, I was in Fairfield NSW a couple weeks back was near 31 but the temp showed 20, strange
JKAY

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Dodgey connector somewhere?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby criminally_minded on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm

I had the same issue when I first picked up my Exceed. Reported to the dealer however by the time I had it back for the 1,500k inspection, it seemed to have righted itself.

10,000k later and I am pretty convinced that the external temp sensor registers 5-6 degrees higher than actual most of the time, and (I think) this is causing the climate control to constantly blow cold air. If I set the CC to 25 degrees, it blows cold air even when the cab is too cool and it's only 22 degrees outside!

My logic is, the interior temp sensor realises that the cab is too cold, but the exterior sensor thinks the outside air is warmer than it actually is, so it cools the air as it enter the car. End result, always blowing cold air over the front passengers. My gf hates it. My MN had CC and it worked a dream, this one is hopeless.

Am I on the right track? Or more likely dud interior AND exterior sensors?
criminally_minded

Postby andelect on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm

I too am somewhat disappointed in the climate control. To get warm air on a winters day means I need to set the temp over 26degrees. So end result is the climate control is very much manual setting to compensate inaccuracy.
I have driven other climate controlled vehicles which were very good at this, virtually never having to adjust temperature.

This Triton needs constant adjustment to maintain reasonable temps.

I actually moved the temp sensor away from it's location, placing forward in the grill area, nylon tying to the front part of the grill in direct air. I found the temp readings were much more accurate, to within a couple of degrees of actual air temp (while moving), and not an inaccurate 5-6 degrees above ambient temps.

It will, on standing still after engine running, rise in temp due to latent heat from engine, however the speed in which it returned to reasonable air temp reading was greatly sped up when driving continued, getting direct outside air blowing on it.
I'll see what happens this winter with this change. I suspect I will still be manual changing to achieve cabin constant temps.
andelect

Postby yeahbutnah on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm

where is this sensor located on the MN?
yeahbutnah

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

As far as I'm aware, climate control is governed by a thermostat that is inside the cabin. Usually down the bottom front of the console, generally behind two or three small slots cut in the plastic. It feeds back current in cab temperature to the BCM which then know whether to run the air conditioning more, or less, adjust fan speed, etc.

Sometimes the air flow to this sensor isn't quite what it should, or could, be and you may get an improvement with some judicious relocation. Of course, if you get the new spot wrong you may find performance declines.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm

The mn uses the fan to draw air cabin through a sensor, which which is located behind the slots down near your left knee.
Thats where it gets it temp feedback.
I assume the MQ is the same, if someone can confirn please.
Lower spec models, MN, get the slots but not the sensor
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:30 pm

The outside temp sensor is there for the RV display and ice warning.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andelect on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Page 7-10 of the user manual basically says "Temp value of air conditioner is switched in conjunction with the outside air temp display on the Multi info display"
The interior air temperature sensor is the same as the MN. Tube with resistor pulling air through. Shine a torch in through the grill and you'll see the resistor.
andelect

Return to Warranty/Recalls