OIL FOR MQ TRITON

OIL FOR MQ TRITON

Postby mqjosh on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 am

Hi,
I'm considering doing a 7500 km service on the MQ as i think 15000 is a bit of a stretch for service intervals, i was just thinking oil and filter. The manual calls out for a 5w 30 oil with ACEA classification C1, C2, C3 or C4 and JASO classification DL-1.The closest thing i can find to it is NULON full synthetic 5W 30 DIESEL FORMULA LONG LIFE ENGINE OIL. On the label it says
ACEA C3- 12
API CF DIESEL SPEC
API SN PETROL SPEC
LOW SAPS
ULTIMATE PROTECTION FOR MODERN PASSENGER CARS AND LIGHT COMMERCIAL DIESEL AND PETROL ENGINES
SUITABLE FOR VEHICLES WITH DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTERS.

Everything sounds right except it doesn't say anything about the JASO DL-1 classification on the bottle. is this oil ok to use?
can anyone shed some light on this.

Do you recommend oil changes in between your normal service intervals?

Thanks, Josh
mqjosh

Re: OIL FOR MQ TRITON

Postby mqjosh on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:24 am

Found the answer to my own question on the Mitsubishi website for anyone who was wondering:

"Vehicles equipped with a DPF require the use of low ash engine oil. When oil replacement is carried out or if you need to top up the engine oil USE ONLY low ash oil complying with the specification: ACEA C1, C2 or C3 grade OR JASO DL-1 grade. If normal engine oil instead of low ash engine oil is used, ash will accumulate more rapidly in the DPF which reduces the soot load capacity of the DPF".

Ash in the DPF can not be burnt off and can severely reduce the life of the DPF.

In the manual it reads as if it has to meet both the classifications but according to Mitsubishi either one is fine.
mqjosh

Postby grox on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Penrite make pretty good oils for mQ they recommend enviro dl 1. It's 5w30 C2 JASO dl1. Fully synthetic . Most oils will mention if not suitable for dpf as its a $$ stuff up if you use a to high ash.
grox

Postby schilgsy on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:52 pm

I agree with grox, I'm using Penrite DL 1. Been using Penrite for years, in petrol and diesel vehicles. A great Australian product. Check out their website it'll give you all fluid options for your Triton.
schilgsy

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:02 pm

The nylon should be perfectly fine, I've been using it in all my diesels over the last 13years and petrol units before that.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby taurus577 on Mon May 30, 2016 1:37 am

My mechanic used Gulf Western 5w30 euro energy
taurus577

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 30, 2016 6:12 am

taurus577 wrote:My mechanic used Gulf Western 5w30 euro energy

Gee that oil seems a bit thin...do you live in the snow!
Check your manual it should have a graph for choosing oil for your climate....

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby aquagen on Mon May 30, 2016 7:44 am

Mq all climates is 5w30. Plus 1 for penrite
aquagen

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 30, 2016 11:06 am

Using an oil that thin makes one fumey engine if you live in a warm climate ...like that's most of the country especially in the summer...a thin motor oil ..will fill your inter cooler and mixed with soot from the egr will block your manifolds....

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

OIL FOR MQ TRITON

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 30, 2016 11:14 am

This is what I was getting at.....below
------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
Last edited by viking shippy on Mon May 30, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Which oil?
Again and again we get asked about what viscosity grade oil someone should use in their Diesel 4WD. Start looking at the various parts of the vehicle and one soon becomes suspicious if the right guidance or money is driving the oil choice recommendation. When manufacturers run the engine production, they do so with speed and efficiency on mind. Along with that comes the Global mindset that the engine being made will go anywhere in the World. This Global mindset, when we get to the point of adding engine oil, may not be what we need in our local market though. Local market meaning, ‘the conditions the engine will really be running under most of the time”.
Consider this: there are so many factors being designed into New Generation Diesels that it boggles the mind. The one leading them all though is fuel efficiency. Piston ring tensions and frictions are high on the agenda of increasing engine efficiency, and this means more strain on engine oils.
Back to how all these factors, climate and design, affect our engine oil choice. The majority of vehicles we see through our shop usually have the answer to what oil really is a better choice for your vehicle and that lays in the SAE oil guide that most makers fall back on if the ‘recommended’ oil isn’t available. If you really have a good look at that chart and the conditions your vehicle will be running under, you may soon come to realise that 0W30 or 5W30 weight oils aren’t that crash hot after all. While great for global temps down to -30’C or lower, they will struggle in temps as they rise to 30’C.
So what oil should you chose? Keep in mind one that suits our local conditions. That’s certainly not -35’C here in Oz. Speak to your Diesel Expert to get further advice and let’s open more discussions on this topic!
Do you want more diesel tips? PM or check out our website www.berrimadiesel.com!
‪#‎DieselExperts‬
‪#‎BerrimaDiesel‬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
viking shippy

Postby Jm3132 on Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Going to have to agree about 5w30 being pretty thin.
The reason all the new vehicles are trending to have thinner and thinner oil is they are all chasing very strict emmisions and fuel efficiency, hence the introduction of dpf as well.
Personally I run a 5w40 full syn in my mn and would recommend the same for MQ also.
If you're not worried about fuel efficiency and want to create the max protection you could even go up to a 5w50 etc.
I don't want to start a brand debate, but from experience I would stay very clean of gulf western.
Jm3132

Postby Michael.Finch on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi All

I'd have to say I've been using Penrite HPR Diesel 5 (5W-40) in my Terracan for the last 12 years and the engine is spotless. Burns nothing.

So I recookn i'll go with the Penrite DL-1 . Wish it was a 5W-40 though. Unless someone has another suggestion?

Is it right 8.3L for a change? I thought he Terracan was bad at 6.5L.

Thanks

:-)

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby Rain on Wed May 03, 2017 7:30 am

I have been using the penrite DL 1 for the last couple of years on my MQ tritons. The oldest has 100,000km on the clock and no complaints so far. I normally get a 10L drum from tepco when they have 30% off store wide and the MQ takes about 8.5L in.
Rain

Postby Tyno on Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am

Michael.Finch wrote:Hi All

I'd have to say I've been using Penrite HPR Diesel 5 (5W-40) in my Terracan for the last 12 years and the engine is spotless. Burns nothing.

So I recookn i'll go with the Penrite DL-1 . Wish it was a 5W-40 though. Unless someone has another suggestion?

Is it right 8.3L for a change? I thought he Terracan was bad at 6.5L.

Thanks

Mike

According to the Penrite website it comes in 5w40 as well.
Tyno

Postby Michael.Finch on Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for the information guys.

Enviro + is available in a 5W-40, not the DL-1 if I remember.

Seems to comply. = C3

"ENVIRO+ 5W-40 exceeds API SN and ACEA C3 and may be used where SAE 0W-40, 5W-30 & 10W-30 oils are specified in the owners handbook. May also be used where the fuel economy specifications ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 and ILSAC GF-5 are specified and in vehicles requiring ACEA A3/B4 made before the 2010 model year, and where ACEA C2 is specified."

DL 1 = C2

"ENVIRO+ DL-1 meets the requirements of European ACEA C2 and is On-File for JASO DL-1 applications. It is also suitable for use in Japanese light duty diesels that specify JASO DL-1 in the owner's handbook, especially those fitted with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs)."

Penrite recommend as follows .....

ENVIRO+ DL-1 (Recommended), ENVIRO+ 5W-30 and ENVIRO+ C-3.

I'm still not overly keen on using a 5W-30 oil on 40 Degree (C) days. Winter, fine.

5w-30 is rated to +30C whereas 5w-40 is rated to +50C. No brainer?

Will consider further.

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby Merts on Thu May 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Michael.Finch wrote:I'm still not overly keen on using a 5W-30 oil on 40 Degree (C) days. Winter, fine.

Where did you get that info from?

The first figure is the viscosity at cold startup.
The second figure is the viscosity at 100 degrees C.

The engine temperature in your vehicle is going to be roughly the same (controlled by the cooling system thermostat) whether the ambient temperature is 20 or 50.

Manufacturers specify oils to suit their engines based on technical knowledge of what is required. I wouldn't second guess them. I reckon they probably know more about what is required than I ever could.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Merts wrote:
Michael.Finch wrote:I'm still not overly keen on using a 5W-30 oil on 40 Degree (C) days. Winter, fine.

The engine temperature in your vehicle is going to be roughly the same (controlled by the cooling system thermostat) whether the ambient temperature is 20 or 50.

Manufacturers specify oils to suit their engines based on technical knowledge of what is required. I wouldn't second guess them. I reckon they probably know more about what is required than I ever could.

You are correct, the figures are for both min and max viscosity over the engine operating temperature range and not the ambient degrees Celsius.
jrs184

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Been interesting over the years reading about oils and the classic old one used to be the need for 'thick' ( high viscosity ) oils to maintain oil pressure and the supposed lubrication layer. The reality is that oil flow is what's important, for the obvious lube factor but is also part of the cooling design, keeping bearings, pistons, etc cool.

I have never noticed any issues with the 5-30 oils in our Victorian climate but after using 15-40 oils for years in previous vehicles it looks like water in comparison. :lol:

Up in the northern states a heavier weight might be more appropriate.

The full synthetic oils should be much more stable than the old dino snot and don't break down like lard in a fry pan.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Michael.Finch on Fri May 05, 2017 7:17 am

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

Sadly, from a bit of reading, it turns out i'm still thinking 80's/90's oil performance and the relevance of ambient temperatures. (I'm the Dinosaur) No longer.

Need to get over it with the Triton. 5W-30 Full Synthetic C3/DL-1 it is.

Now to make sure the dealer is using that oil. Never know what they have out the back in a 44Gal drum. I have been bitten by that once before by a Nissan Dealer. Inherent distrust of Dealers for a while now, hence why I did most of my own servicing in the Terracan. I'm sure most of them are honest though. We'll see.

Thanks all.

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby RHKTriton on Fri May 05, 2017 8:06 am

Dealers would use strained oil from fish & chip ships if they could get away with it. :lol:

More seriously, they use bulk oil that probably meets the minimum spec to get them to the next scheduled service.

Unless the manufacturers carried out regular audits, who knows what the dealers stick in your engine.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby murwullambah on Fri May 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Merts wrote:

Exactly right, i couldnt agree more, far to many on these sites think they know more than the vehicle Manufacturer and oil producer/manufacturer which i doubt is true. Many racing engine run on 0w/30 oils that reach far higher temps than we do so i cant see why 5w/30 is not ok for our use. As stated the engine will run at the desired temp as controlled by cooling system/ thermostat so if its Germany or Thailand the engine doesnt know where it is.
murwullambah

Postby murwullambah on Fri May 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Im pretty sure the dealers use Castrol semi synthetic DX 5/40

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... om=1021653
murwullambah

Postby Michael.Finch on Sat May 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info.

The Castrol looks fine for 7,500 changes as it's a Semi-synthetic.

Lots of options in the C3/DL-1 5W-30/5W-40 range. Issue sorted.

Thanks all.

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby WUNSIE on Sat May 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Dealer I take mine to uses Valvoline Syn MSTC3 5w-30 ;)
When I dropped the oil @ 6000km I ended up using Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Formula Long Life Engine Oil, low saps suitable for the DPF.
Got it from Supercheap for around $70 when on special down from a about $110
Stayed nice and clean, about as clean as any diesel gets and its the correct viscosity
WUNSIE

Next

Return to Servicing