OIL FOR MQ TRITON

Re: OIL FOR MQ TRITON

Postby koldiron on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

Just went to my local dealer to buy some oil for my 2017 MQ (just reached 5000kms). I was expecting to be given 5W-30 but he handed me some 5W-40. I told him that the manual says to use 5W-30 but he said the service manager said they use the 5W-40. I didn't take it cause I wasn't sure which to use. Should I go with what the dealer says or the manual? Thanks
koldiron

Postby YTO on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Bought a ENVIRO+ DL-1 other week for $95 from repco sale but not sure about what dealer quoted me for genuine filter, he said $49? Is this too much?
YTO

Postby koldiron on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Made the decision and bought the Penrite 5w-30 DL-1. I figure the manual must know what it is talking about. The dealer charged $30 for a filter but Repco had them for $20.
koldiron

Postby YTO on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:08 am

Genuine filter for $20? That's good didn't know repco would stock genuine parts.
YTO

Postby Merts on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am

YTO wrote:Genuine filter for $20? That's good didn't know repco would stock genuine parts.

He didn't actually say the Repco one was a Mitsubishi branded item, and I'm sure it wouldn't be.
I'm interested as to why it matters if it's a 'genuine' filter or not. Mitsubishi don't make filters. The genuine one is made by a third party anyway.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby YTO on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:42 pm

I wasn't sure that's why I asked. One dealer quoted $49 for Mitsubishi branded one but picked one up today from different dealer for $27. Thought better to use their own branded one just in case.
YTO

Postby koldiron on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Repco filter was a Ryco. I actually bought both cause I will use them eventually. Aside from the different color, they both looked the same to me. Just make sure you have a strap wrench or similar. I had a oil filter removal tool that I used on my previous car but it didn't work on the Triton cause the filter diameter is smaller so the tool couldn't grap the filter.
koldiron

Postby YTO on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks for the tip koldiron.
YTO

Postby Sid3169 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 pm

koldiron wrote:Repco filter was a Ryco. I actually bought both cause I will use them eventually. Aside from the different color, they both looked the same to me. Just make sure you have a strap wrench or similar. I had a oil filter removal tool that I used on my previous car but it didn't work on the Triton cause the filter diameter is smaller so the tool couldn't grap the filter.

Hey koldiron how does this affect you warranty if you are replacing the oil yourself. Cheers
Sid3169

Postby koldiron on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 am

i cann't see how it would cause I am using the correct specification oil. Not sure how I would prove that or how they could disprove it, especially with a factory filter installed. I'm still 10,000kms away from my first dealer service but was thinking of asking them to put the Penrite oil in cause I like to stick to the same brand/specification when doing oil changes. They were going to give me 5w-40 (instead of 5w-30 as per owners manual) so I'm guessing they aren't too fussy.
On a side note and slightly off topic, I drained about 100ml out of the provent catch can which I installed within the first 400km of buying the car.
koldiron

Postby YTO on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm

I just realized the one on the car is 1230A182 but the one I bought is MD352627. Same but different part number.

I'm sure I drained about at least 250ml ish since new about 100km
YTO

Postby koldiron on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:20 pm

When I bought my filter from the dealer, he did tell me that it might have a different number than the original one installed on the car. He said that it depended on which supplier the filter came from. It wouldn't surprise me if all the filters where made by one or two factories.
koldiron

Postby jerrah on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:46 pm

I understood the dealers were using Castrol Professional 5w-30. Roughly equivalent to this stuff:
Castrol Edge Diesel DPF Engine Oil - 5W-30 LL I'm not sure the difference between the earlier linked Castrol Synth DX 5w-40 other than weight. They're both ACEA C3 and DPF approved.
jerrah

Postby Spaceman on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Just had my 15,000 service done with Mitsubishi and when I looked the invoice they used Delo 400LE 15w-40 engine oil it appears to be a straight mineral oil not even semi syn. I rang them to check if this was correct and they said yes it was correct and it is a low sap for the DPF. When I enquired why they don’t use a 5w-30 as per the manual they replied with that viscosity is better for our weather conditions. I have used Penrite for years and did a 7,500k oil change with DL-1 which I was happy with and did not use any oil. I don’t think I’m comfortable with their choose of oil, it must be cheap.
Spaceman

Postby Crackles on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 am

If the manufacturer recommends 15k service intervals, why go against that? Do you all know more than the manufacturer of the vehicle and engine?
Crackles

Postby Spaceman on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:03 am

CrackIes, I was not referring to the service intervals, I was referring to the oil viscosity used which does differ from what the mitsubishi service manual states.
Spaceman

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm

As that old saying goes "trust me we're from the government" can be said about the servicing done on any motor car these's days' do you trust them? i guess most people do cause it's in the manual and a lot of people really just don't care as long as it start's n stops then that's good enough for em' in saying that there are a lot of people who do care whats been used for servicing and want to use the best they can' if that being the case i'm sure they would have no problem in accepting far better quality oil you supply as long as it meets the requirements stated. ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Spaceman wrote:Just had my 15,000 service done with Mitsubishi and when I looked the invoice they used Delo 400LE 15w-40 engine oil it appears to be a straight mineral oil not even semi syn. I rang them to check if this was correct and they said yes it was correct and it is a low sap for the DPF. When I enquired why they don’t use a 5w-30 as per the manual they replied with that viscosity is better for our weather conditions. I have used Penrite for years and did a 7,500k oil change with DL-1 which I was happy with and did not use any oil. I don’t think I’m comfortable with their choose of oil, it must be cheap.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with what they put in, Read the PDF in regards to the Delo 400LE, and what he said is correct in regards to the viscosity being more suited to our climate,
Ive just had mine in for its 2nd year service 18,000 km and I asked to have a 5w40 or 10w40 oil put in , and they happily obliged.
The 30 weight oil is to fumey when hot.
At work all our long haul diesels run a 40 weight oil, and our mixed fleet of service utes run 10w40 oil
WUNSIE

Postby Spaceman on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Correct I agree Wunsie with respect to the upper 40 part of the grade. I have owned common rail diesels since 2007 never have used higher than a 5w-40 oil and always Penrite a good aussie product without a issue in ford's, Toyota's and Mitsubishi's . I live in QLD but in winter I will be in areas west which have a temp of -5 deg which are within 3 hours of Brisbane. The most engine wear is at start up.
Spaceman

Postby 91GQST on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm

jerrah wrote:I understood the dealers were using Castrol Professional 5w-30. Roughly equivalent to this stuff:
Castrol Edge Diesel DPF Engine Oil - 5W-30 LL I'm not sure the difference between the earlier linked Castrol Synth DX 5w-40 other than weight. They're both ACEA C3 and DPF approved.

I have been wondering if I should do an intermediate oil change on mine now it has around 8000k's on it as the oil level is getting a bit low and I reckon it will need topping up before the 15000 service. Rang the dealer to see about buying some oil to top it up and was told they had 4 litre containers but he couldn't tell me how much they were? :? So today I went to the local Supercheap which had a sale on and checked what the recommended oil was for an MQ Triton and there were a few options listed, one of which was Castrol Edge Titanium FST 5W-30 which according to the online guide was suitable for DPF vehicles and at 45% off was really well priced so I grabbed a couple to buy and as usual read the back of the container before purchase and it said "not suitable for Vehicles with DPF" so WTF? Also just checked the Castrol website and it recommended this oil as suitablel yet the container said otherwise so I am really confused. It would be good to know what the dealers use. BTW I fitted a catch can just after the 1500 service and after around 6500Ks I drained 120mls of oil.
91GQST

Postby Ryanc on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Go to Mitsubishi they should top up for free.
Ryanc

Previous

Return to Servicing