MQ Rough Idle

MQ Rough Idle

Postby Robvenning on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 pm

Hello,
Im new to this forum so if this isn't the right place to post this i apologize.

I have a 2017 Triton MQ 5 speed auto 2.4 (4n15) with 132,000 kms.
I have recently noticed a rough idle when stopped (I have only noticed it in gear), and a slight hesitation when taking off.
I have asked around and nobody can really tell me what the problem is, I think it might be the intake clogged up with soot but I'd love to hear your opinions on it.
It also seems to be using slightly more fuel and the engine sounds much rougher tan it used to.

The ute has been serviced every 10,000 kms religiously at the dealer, and I havent had any faults since I bought the Triton brand new.
I drive it very gently on very long distances, (rarely less than 30kms at a time and the occasional 500km drive) but it does do quite a lot of towing.

Again I apologize if this isn't the right thread but it's beginning to worry me and I'd love to catch any serious problems before they come.

The link is the problem I describe. It seems very unnoticeable but It shakes the Triton quite severely.

https://youtu.be/sQWl_QVjFRU
Robvenning

Re: MQ Rough Idle

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:48 am

Almost impossible to diagnose something like this remotely given that it could be any of a number of things. Best to take it in to your dealer and get them to diagnose.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:15 am

Have a look under the plastic engine cover. Especially where the injectors go into the head. With that model you should have had your valve clearances done twice, and i have heard of poor sealing around the injectors can cause issues. the area around the injectors should be dry, not oily or wet.

A clip of the engine running with cover off might help.

But as the man says.....

NowForThe5th wrote:Almost impossible to diagnose something like this remotely given that it could be any of a number of things. Best to take it in to your dealer and get them to diagnose.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 am

First things I'd do on the diy side.

Drain your fuel filter into a jar and see if there is contamination.

Clean the MAF sensor and MAP sensor tubing.

Wack a dose of Diesel fuel system cleaner in a partially filled tank and give it a 'lively' drive.

Check your air filter, don't assume it's clean.

Re filters, mark them (scratch) with the date and Kilometers they were replaced. I've had the case where a dealer skipped two fuel filter changes before I picked it up.

Ultimately, a competent dealer should be able to plug in the MUT and see if any parameters are out.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ska77 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:02 pm

Any luck on finding the problem mate.
Ska77

Postby Robvenning on Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:32 am

I replaced the SCV earlier this year and the problem is still there. I sometimes get a very sharp/sudden loss of power and slight hesitation on the get up and go. Still works fine but i haven't been able to find the problem. Starting to think it's either the injectors or something ECU related.
Any tips would help.
Robvenning

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:53 am

Have you checked that the linkage operating the turbo vanes moves freely and smoothly?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AndrewGLS on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:47 am

I have a weird "miss" on mine that seems to happen when idling and mostly when it's been raining. That could be coincidental. I had a look at your youtube vid and it did look very similar. No loss of performance anywhere else though.
AndrewGLS

Postby gartam on Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:55 pm

Do you have a throttle controller? I had the same symptoms using a throttle controller but I can't remember the brand.
gartam

Postby AndrewGLS on Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:00 am

AndrewGLS wrote:I have a weird "miss" on mine that seems to happen when idling and mostly when it's been raining. That could be coincidental. I had a look at your youtube vid and it did look very similar. No loss of performance anywhere else though.

Well, my rough idle problem went away. Maybe it was a cold weather thing but it's since been smooth. Time will tell!
AndrewGLS

Postby AndrewGLS on Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:55 pm

Rugh idle has returned with cold mornings. I've been in the Kimberly and NT for ages and had no isses. As soon I I got back to Alice where it's chilly, rough idle.
But it gets worse. On a cold morning, the ute starts easy. But then about 20-30 sec of idle it just dies and takes a long time to restart.

Just had it in for it's 30k km service today and of course, they were not able to recreate the issue as the engine was warm, as was the ambient temp.

It's a bit shit, for a that has issues like this from the get go, and is less than a year old to be exhibiting these kinds of issues. Any ideas?
AndrewGLS

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:33 pm

RHKTriton wrote:
Check your air filter, don't assume it's clean.

Re filters, mark them (scratch) with the date and Kilometers they were replaced.

Do that everytime myself ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
WUNSIE

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:21 pm

AndrewGLS wrote:
It's a bit shit, for a that has issues like this from the get go, and is less than a year old to be exhibiting these kinds of issues. Any ideas?

This will be due to The EGR operating when it doesnt need to. Its caused by the software in the PCM, and current thinking is that it is due to Australia not having EURO6 emission equipment (selective catalytic reduction and Adblue), whereas nearly the rest of the world does. Ther currently is no fix for it MMC and MMTH are working on the problem. I have one customer that has had this since delivery and now done 45000kms, and it does it most of the time. In conjunction with MMAL it has had new EGR, Injectors (and a "modified set) , Turbo and PCM, all to no avail.

Im currently Driving A 2023 GSR, and that has had it since day one. Its not good, but they will find a cure eventually
We have toyed with the idea of flashing the ECU with older Euro5 software, but If it doesnt work, then the ECU is an expensive paperweight, which we dont want the responsibility of.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:39 am

Just considering DDDJ's comment, if it were my ride, I'd do the electronic EGR defeat.

Problem seems to go away when it's warmer. We trick ECU that it's warmer.

Worth a try.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AndrewGLS on Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:08 am

Thanks heaps dibby. makes sense. I'll mention it at the next service, last place was clueless.

Your contributions to this site are fantastic. I can't thank you enough.
AndrewGLS

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:11 pm

Just a quick addition. The software is now available, It concerns the turbocharger vane position at idle. So get it booked in with your dealer
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Return to Servicing