Whats your MQ fuel economy like

Re: Whats your MQs economy like

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:25 am

You'll need to verify your odometer reading if you want the actual economy, is compare your reading over 3 or 4 km against the kilometre markers at the side of the road.

With the 32"s on my truck the Odom. Is reading about 100m low per km.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rsv4dan on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Gps on my phone shows approx 100-101speed when you're sitting on 100kph on the dash. So the bigger tyres have made the speedo bang on
rsv4dan

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:30 am

Yes your speedo will be nearer to correct but the odometer reads low, ravd, this means the economy shown on the display is slightly worse than it actually is.

In my case a km on the odometer is actually about 1100m travelled.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aquagen on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 am

Not too hard to work out. Eg 245/65 stock upgraded to 265/65 is 3% bigger distance travelled. So multiply odo by 1.03
http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/speedo-error-calculator is a good one I think. And fuelio on android works out the rest. Ignore the computer
aquagen

Re: Whats your MQ fuel economy like

Postby bobski on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:14 pm

GLX 4x4 manual, ironman bar, OEM highway tyres. Last 3 fills 8.1,8.2,8.0. At least its consistent :P
bobski

Postby Gee El Ess on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Bog stock triton GLS. I can keep it under 9 but the wife is around 10-11.
Bloody heavy foot id say
Gee El Ess

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:58 am

I'm sitting on 5500 km now and have run three tanks since the new gear was added (bull bar, winch, suspension and rails). First was towing at least half of it but managed to get around 550 from that tank. Now the last two were around 9.5-10L/100km mark.

In saying that, I have found the fuel really makes a difference. I got a full tank of Caltex vortex and found it worst so far. Most my driving (when keeping check) has been commuting so pretty consistent.

Best so far is the BP ultimate or whatever they have. Seems to go the furthest. I'm on 630km at the moment and just dropped to the final bar on the gauge. Pretty mixed driving on this tank with city and highway kms.

I usually fill up at this point and put in something around the 60ltr mark.
Tasc4life

Postby ICKIS on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:04 am

My speedo is out to the shithouse.... have used 3 different gps units in car and all read same speed... at 100km/hr on speedo i am only doing 92 or 3 kmph.... at 11o on the speedo am doing 103 on gps....
To actually do 110kmph according to 3 different gpd units.. my speedo reads 119kmph....

My fuel economy sucks too... am hard pressed to break 11l per 100... and with the speedo out that makes it worse. Any thoughts... 2000k on the clock...I have a bullbar and roof rack with factory tyres and snorkel...
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:36 am

ICKIS wrote:My speedo is out to the shithouse.... have used 3 different gps units in car and all read same speed... at 100km/hr on speedo i am only doing 92 or 3 kmph.... at 11o on the speedo am doing 103 on gps....
To actually do 110kmph according to 3 different gpd units.. my speedo reads 119kmph....

My fuel economy sucks too... am hard pressed to break 11l per 100... and with the speedo out that makes it worse. Any thoughts... 2000k on the clock...I have a bullbar and roof rack with factory tyres and snorkel...

Is funny you mention the GPS thing, I actually Downloaded 2 of the apps and tested it on the way to work this afternoon.

Mine was pretty much on the money. At 60 kms speedo it was reading 58 kms on the GPS. I didn't test it long enough though. Will run it on the way up next trip.

That sucks about the high fuel economy, I can't really help out there. Have you tried different places for fuel at all? I'm sure somone here would know something to help out..
Tasc4life

Postby andelect on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:13 am

Tasc4life wrote:
ICKIS wrote:My speedo is out to the shithouse.... have used 3 different gps units in car and all read same speed... at 100km/hr on speedo i am only doing 92 or 3 kmph.... at 11o on the speedo am doing 103 on gps....

Is funny you mention the GPS thing, I actually Downloaded 2 of the apps and tested it on the way to work this afternoon.

Mine was pretty much on the money. At 60 kms speedo it was reading 58 kms on the GPS. I didn't test it long enough though. Will run it on the way up next trip.

That sucks about the high fuel economy, I can't really help out there. Have you tried different places for fuel at all? I'm sure somone here would know something to help out..
My speedo is out 4% at 100 Km, reading 104kph when GPS indicates 100kph. I would assume therefore the odometer trip or overall km would read 4% higher than actual, if of course the info is captured/processed by same mechanism. My wife’s elantra is 3kms out at 100km, and 4km out when tyres need replacing.

Ickis’s speed indicated/actual is 9% out, so therefore his economy is nearer to 10L/100km. That speedo is a fair way out though and unacceptable I would consider! Stick to the speed limit and your holding up traffic!!
Can the dealer re-calibrate under warranty I wonder?

My overall economy is around 9.9L/100km which is the “B” average fuel consumption display (see section 5-4 in the owner manual). No reset in 2500km, and is a mixture of city/regional/hills driving. Does anyone ever achieve the manufacturers economy figure?

Stock Bridgestone dueler HT 245/65 17”. As they wear the speedo should read higher I assume.

In looking at a recent 4x4 mag review, the tester recorded 11.6km/100km, however I’m sure this included some rough terrain stuff to bring the economy down. The economy was the best of the bunch (6 mixed vehicles tested).
andelect

Postby ICKIS on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm

Isnt the calculation for my economy the other way... i am actually only travelling say 93km when my speedo / odometer record 100km....
In my mind that means when i have say 100 000km on the odometer I have actually only travelled 93000km.... ripped off 7000km for service intervals and resale...not mention the fuel consumption at approx 9% more than recorded / displayed??.

Needless to say the service dept have a unhappy triton owner coming for a visit.... surely there must be some programing adjustments available for settings.

I dont drive it hard as am trying to find the economy.... maybe it needs a flogging to loosen it up.

I must add ... I had a lift kit fitted yesterday and a wheel alignment... and found nearly .5 of a litre better economy on my 40km trip home.... the pedders wheel alignment report showed it was out a fair bit from factory... still 10.6ltrs with the 9% adjustment for speedo being out still is around 11.5 / 100..... i need better than that and itvwas part of the reason for trading in the mn.... I got 10.5s out of it all day every day fully loaded with 500kg of tools and barwork ++ running 286 75 16 muddies with a chip and 3 inch zaust.....
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby Deano197 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:33 pm

I find the only way to get the fuel economy in the 7s you have to change gear below 2k rpm and keep speed below 100 .. Last tank I got 830km and put 66 litres in.
Deano197

Postby Haydes55 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 am

Speedo and odo are read differently (in my experience with motorbikes).

Legally a vehicle has to have a speedo within 10% of accurate, but the odo needs to be within a much smaller % of accurate, I think about 4%.

On my old bike the speedo was 108km/h at GPS 100km/h 8% out, but the odo was bang on through mile markers. From memory the odo was taken from the gear box.
Haydes55

Postby MQman on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Brand newbie here...
For reference, my MQ hasn't had any mods done at all. Have the list of mods almost complete and will be getting everything done at once (barwork f&r, winch, bfg muddies, dobinsons, canopy, dual batts, compressor, custom electrical for rear 12v and battery management, underbody protection, long range tank, snorkel).
My MQ Exceed (auto) is hovering around 7.9 to 8.3l/100km and it's done about 6,300km so far. Hearing all the relatively high l/100km from everyone else's MQs, is that with manual trans? I usually would have thought it was the auto that would read higher, but the newer the model the better economy the autos seem to be getting. Also, at 100kph (indicated), it sits at about 2000rpm. I did notice that I can get the economy down to 6.9l/100km sitting on 60 to 70kph with cruise on. Anyone else getting that sort of economy too?
Also checked the speedo with a GPS just so I know exactly how fast I can legally go on the highway...and at a GPS reading of 100kph, the speedo is reading 106kph.
I'm not a light footed driver generally and like to get up to speed fairly quickly without flooring the thing. I don't go more than approximately 10% over the speed limit around where I live (Yeppoon, Qld) but driving on long drives away (like Sydney and back a month ago) I don't speed at all to try to get good economy.
MQman

Postby Crash486 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:57 am

Just remember that a gps will on average over estimate the distance traveled by around 20% so although it's more accurate than your speedo, the police radar is way more accurate again.
Crash486

Postby Thanatos on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 pm

So I've now put two full tanks through my new manual MQ GLS, and come up with an 8.3 and an 8.2L/100kms. Those are calculated based on fuel reading from the bowser and the kms on the odometer.

My travelling is a good mix of open highway driving and horrendous traffic going to work and back. No mods yet that would effect the fuel usage.

I usually try to keep a solid eye on the average economy readout, have found that it doesnt mind being dropped into 6th gear on level ground at 60kph and 5th at 50kph Lumbers along a bit and is not responsive at all but does seem to save fuel. I got a 5.8 a few times driving to work early in the morn with less crazies on the road.

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket air filter or exhaust system and can comment on the effect on fuel usage?
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby Tony on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:11 pm

An MQ customer of ours dips down under 8L/100 on longer trips. Car is stock apart from EGR override.

I have cautioned him larger tyres and the usual bar work could spoil things a bit. It wont stop him.

I must say, I'm quite impressed how the little 4N15 engine pushes these vehicles with the diff ratio in them. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aquagen on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Any more info on this egr override?
aquagen

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:57 pm

aquagen wrote:Any more info on this egr override?

Still in testing but damn close as I understand it. Better safe than sorry though.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Haydes55 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:33 am

Actual average mileage for the second tank load of diesel, 7.66L/100km.

Got as low as 6.0L/100km on the dash, but the total aerate is all that matters. Very happy with the economy.
Haydes55

Postby Baziel on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Averaging 7.2 ltr/100kms (not on dash but through calculation) with ARB roobar and GME aerial. Very happy.
Baziel

Postby Merts on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:59 am

Crash486 wrote:Just remember that a gps will on average over estimate the distance traveled by around 20% so although it's more accurate than your speedo, the police radar is way more accurate again.

GPS units are extremely accurate at calculating distance travelled (and speeds). They do not over estimate the distance by around 20%

As someone else noted, odometers are required to read within +/-4%, and GPS units are significantly more accurate than odometers.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:24 am

Gps units do consistently overestimate distances and it's not uncommon for them to be out up to 20% . There is a big push to change the algorithms to get much higher accuracy and change to centimetre accurate gps. Eg http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-w ... e_traveled.
Crash486

Postby kdan3 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 am

Crash486 wrote:Gps units do consistently overestimate distances and it's not uncommon for them to be out up to 20% . There is a big push to change the algorithms to get much higher accuracy and change to centimetre accurate gps. Eg http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-w ... e_traveled.

The 20% is highly exaggerated from the short distances and walking speeds. Your average in car gps unit would be more accurate than both the speedometer and odometer. At a constant speed on the highway you would get a very accurate speed out of the GPS.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
kdan3

Postby Merts on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Crash486 wrote:Gps units do consistently overestimate distances and it's not uncommon for them to be out up to 20% . There is a big push to change the algorithms to get much higher accuracy and change to centimetre accurate gps. Eg http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-w ... e_traveled.

Sorry, but that is simply nonsense.
To get even close to 20% overestimation you would have to add up a bunch of short distances measured with a particularly inaccurate hand held GPS unit. The accuracy of an in vehicle unit is very good, and certainly better than the vehicle odometer for the sort of distances measured whilst driving a car around.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems