MQ chipped..

MQ chipped..

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi all... Has anyone had any sucsess with chipping an MQ?
I have done 20000ks now and just had a system fitted .. " steinbaur" type deal that connects to injectors and boost sensor..
Definatly achieved great results from 2600-4200.. Revs really freely .. Huge diff from 3200-4200 ( doesnt flatten off)..

But .... Nowhere near as smooth down low ( in thenormal rpm driving range) less torque .. Bit of fuel rattle on deacceleration also...

Wondering if the piezo injectors are slower at closing when the voltage is changed...

Ive heard that ford/mazda bt50 with piezo injectors use a special chip unit.. For power up and power down..(no springs in injectors)
But i think the triton injectors are single stage piezo?? Power open then return without spring and without power down...
Once the power is off ..

Anyone know about this ??

Cheers Russ
Bigfoot kiwi

Re: MQ chipped..

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:00 pm

My other thinking is --- the mivec timing is changing so she ends up out of kilter...
Bigfoot kiwi

Postby aquagen on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:05 pm

No dramas with mine. Dp power chip hooked up to injector only. Took it off my 2.5l challenger when sold and plugged in to test on my mq. Left on since, 4000km. No side effects and improved acceleration from standstill.
It might be the boost sensor harness. Mine only changes delivery duration, doesn't up pressure so shouldn't effect longevity of pump /injectors
aquagen

Postby Dunga71 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 pm

Just waiting for a new tune for the one I had in the MN
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby rsv4dan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Ecutek tune here
rsv4dan

Postby dougie123 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:08 pm

From the monthly email I get from MRT.

R and D Update: MY16 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4lt diesel tuning (MQ model)
We have exciting news on this new model. Tuning is now well underway and we are seeking just a couple of more cars for client feedback. If you own one of these new vehicles and want a super deal on a complete custom tune (whilst retaining your new car warranty) then contact us now to grab one of the few slots left available. In return you will recieve a huge saving and beat the rush on tunes of this new model.
Click here for the exciting R&D dyno data + more images.
dougie123

Postby tommydadog on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:44 pm

dougie123 wrote:From the monthly email I get from MRT.

R and D Update: MY16 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4lt diesel tuning (MQ model)
We have exciting news on this new model. Tuning is now well underway and we are seeking just a couple of more cars for client feedback. If you own one of these new vehicles and want a super deal on a complete custom tune (whilst retaining your new car warranty) then contact us now to grab one of the few slots left available. In return you will recieve a huge saving and beat the rush on tunes of this new model.
Click here for the exciting R&D dyno data + more images.

any chance this is valid for NZ?
tommydadog

Postby scientist on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:57 pm

@rsv4dan, What sort of numbers did you get with the Ecutek tune?
MQ Newb
scientist

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Couldn't tell you mate. Weeks later they still haven't even been able to provide my dyno sheet after asking several times. Apparently couldn't print it on the day(dont get me started on other concerns) and still haven't be able to email it through.
rsv4dan

Postby ICKIS on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:42 pm

I have seen a new style performance module that connects to the ob2 port under the dash.... claims up to 35% abd 20% torque increases. They are made on ireland. Claim to be untraceable when disconnected . Availabe through ebay $220 delivered
Has anyone heard of these or got one?
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby mattz on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:59 pm

ICKIS wrote:I have seen a new style performance module that connects to the ob2 port under the dash.... claims up to 35% abd 20% torque increases. They are made on ireland. Claim to be untraceable when disconnected . Availabe through ebay $220 delivered

Got a link
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 am

mattz wrote:
ICKIS wrote:I have seen a new style performance module that connects to the ob2 port under the dash.... claims up to 35% abd 20% torque increases. They are made on ireland. Claim to be untraceable when disconnected . Availabe through ebay $220 delivered

Got a link

Easier to ask Google. I assume something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Performance- ... 7675.l2557
L200Shogun

Postby ICKIS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:05 pm

This is the link to the ebay item ob2 connected chip

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 37&alt=web
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby CDT015 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:41 am

So, how would this one be any different ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NitroOBD2-Pe ... SwHnFVru-k
cdtcars ©2009 5 Star Distilling
CDT015

Postby coughy on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 pm

you get what you pay for lol cheap Chinese SHIT
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dalton on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Doesn't the steinbaur chip only work at a certain percentage? i.e. when your engine load is at 70% or the accelerator is depressed 70%.. can't remember, but i'm pretty sure it is.. Hence why it's the "safe chip" because it isn't always operating. Does your MQ blow more black smoke off boost when taking off? if it does, then the chip may be operating at that time, if not, then it probably isn't doing anything.. I recently put a chip-it in my mn, and it has made the thing an absolute rocket. Blows smoke off the line but once the turbo is spooled there is no extra smoke. I chose the chip-it because it does fuel rail and ups the boost as well to help burn the extra diesel the chip is pumping in. Some chips only add more diesel, which does work, but means you end up with high egts and loads of black smoke bellowing out because it isn't burning all the diesel.
EDIT: You probably won't notice extra black smoke because of the DPF the MQ has...
Dalton

Postby CDT015 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:33 pm

coughy wrote:you get what you pay for lol cheap Chinese SHIT

You really think that Dublin is manufacturing electronic components ?
cdtcars ©2009 5 Star Distilling
CDT015

Postby salt36 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I am really not sure about the newer ECU's but the ML and MN ECU's use a Read Only Memory, ROM.

To change the maps you need to program a new ROM file into the ECU. Like Ecutek do....

Call me skeptic but I seriously doubt any of these would do anything.

The only way to 'tune' while driving is with a piggy back type chip that intercepts the signals from sensors on their way to the ECU. Or a replacement ECU, like a Haltech.

I have not seen or heard of any software that can 'tune' while driving :?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm still having trouble conceptually with how a plug into the OBD port like that could do anything to performance let alone the claims they make in those ads.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:09 pm

dont you know dave it connects to the can lines in the obd2 and pumps them full of goodness that crashes the ecu :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:39 pm

The CAN bus is purculating away with '1s' and '0s' wizzing through it so shoving more '1s' in must be better! :lol:

Like shoving more coal into the boiler.

It may be possible to intercept and retransmit parameters in some vehicles but unlikely on the Triton the way the sensors seem to to connect to the ECU.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm still having trouble conceptually with how a plug into the OBD port like that could do anything to performance let alone the claims they make in those ads.

I agree, l reckon this is only a throttle booster, making people think that it is a performance chip. Call me a sceptic if you like, but something about this doesn't quite gel.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:36 pm

salt36 wrote:I am really not sure about the newer ECU's but the ML and MN ECU's use a Read Only Memory, ROM.

To change the maps you need to program a new ROM file into the ECU. Like Ecutek do....

Call me skeptic but I seriously doubt any of these would do anything.

The only way to 'tune' while driving is with a piggy back type chip that intercepts the signals from sensors on their way to the ECU. Or a replacement ECU, like a Haltech.

I have not seen or heard of any software that can 'tune' while driving :?

Also agree Salt, maybe they can flog 1K or more of these "devices" counting on the fact that only 10 maybe 15% of purchases complain and wont money back, they have still made profit.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:46 am

Well I brought one :lol:

It could end up on the bench and a claim with PayPal..... Ah you never know!

But I'm with most. how does, could it work?
Stoneman

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:19 am

If ! Your various sensors such as MAF, MAP, etc communicated their outputs via the bus, then it may be possible to hook into the data streams. However, the software in the ECU would be quite 'rigid' in its processing, so anything messing up the bus data would generate errors.

The wiring diagrams I've looked at for the Triton and some others all have dedicated ports into the ECU, so reprogramming the core firmware is about the only avenue of attack digitally.

The units would have to have similar abilities to the MUTT unit to be able to alter settings. A constant rewriting of ROM data wouldn't be desirable for a longer period as the chips generally do have a finite read/write cycle count.

So the only way I can see these odb11 units may work is to dump some new settings and that's all.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Fuel Systems