MQ chipped..

Re: MQ chipped..

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 am

I've played a lot with efi tuning, this box claims are interesting to say the least. I've seen boxes for euros that will flash a mail order in and that's it, also has ability to return to stock tune. A generic box that talks to ecu on the fly through obd2, yeah nah.

I've seen an ecu for GM that tunes on fly but a LOT of effort went into it and they aren't cheap.

At end of the day the tune is just commanding the motor to do something, the sensors ensure the motor is doing what is commanded and within limits makes changes. Possibly just possibly this takes reads through obd2 and commands something, I'm highly sceptical
MilkmanDan

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:58 am

RHKTriton wrote:If ! Your various sensors such as MAF, MAP, etc communicated their outputs via the bus, then it may be possible to hook into the data streams. However, the software in the ECU would be quite 'rigid' in its processing, so anything messing up the bus data would generate errors.

The wiring diagrams I've looked at for the Triton and some others all have dedicated ports into the ECU, so reprogramming the core firmware is about the only avenue of attack digitally.

The units would have to have similar abilities to the MUTT unit to be able to alter settings. A constant rewriting of ROM data wouldn't be desirable for a longer period as the chips generally do have a finite read/write cycle count.

So the only way I can see these odb11 units may work is to dump some new settings and that's all.

its interesting you say this I have a device that connects to the obdII port and stops the DPF burn but problem is it cancels every code, I mean I could disconnect everything and this device reset the lot every 5 seconds no light on the dash

It will reset all DPF issues something that can only be done with a Mut

I ran a chip on my triton and took it off a few months ago and stuck it in the pajero

it will be interesting.
Stoneman

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 am

Can do that as its not tune related. Can do idle relearns, turn fans on/off etc with some obd readers
MilkmanDan

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:45 am

MilkmanDan wrote:Can do that as its not tune related. Can do idle relearns, turn fans on/off etc with some obd readers

yes I know, still interesting

do you have much experience with PID's milkman I have some questions on logging can bus :D
Stoneman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:59 am

Stoneman wrote:
MilkmanDan wrote:Can do that as its not tune related. Can do idle relearns, turn fans on/off etc with some obd readers

yes I know, still interesting

do you have much experience with PID's milkman I have some questions on logging can bus :D

Oooh, all of a sudden this is starting to sound interesting. :D :ugeek: :geek:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

MQ chipped..

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 pm

I do but using tuning software, I haven't looked much at the freeware stuff that comes with those eBay type scan tools. I do have one sitting in missus pajero, the disk that came with it was in extremely broken English and the program continually crashed so I gave up.
MilkmanDan

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Yeah you can start with the eBay tools if you like

I'm looking for a bit more than that

I've been looking at a canbus logger I know what I want and where it is just need to the easiest way to do it

I'll work it out one way or another :twisted:
Stoneman

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:07 pm

I got a eBay one to log
It's to do with the buffering or something that was a while ago now but would have to get back into it
Stoneman

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:11 pm

If someone has the smarts I would love to chat. Just chucking it out there
Stoneman

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:47 pm

The EVO and Subi brigade seem to have lots of options, be good if some that stuff could be ported to our diesels.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Stoneman wrote:If someone has the smarts I would love to chat. Just chucking it out there

It might help to know what you're trying to achieve? Probably deserves its own thread by the sound of it.

Cowboy Dave

MQ chipped..

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 pm

I've edited my post as I felt the way I wrote it was a bit condescending, my apologies stoneman.

What are you looking to do with logging?
MilkmanDan

Postby Logzy on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:52 pm

I was using VCDS (previously known as VAG-COM) when i had the VW Golf.
That was a great piece of software allowing you to do alot with all sorts of can bus type controllers in the car just with different coding.
For example i recoded the ABS module to activate Tire Pressure Monitoring after fitting the OEM reset switch,
Recoded the ICE, Recoded the central elec module to activate "close windows automatically if it starts to rain".
Etc, the list goes on.
It also had some great logging and graphs

Id love it if we could do this with the triton.
Logzy

Postby Stoneman on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:23 am

MilkmanDan wrote:I've edited my post as I felt the way I wrote it was a bit condescending, my apologies stoneman.

What are you looking to do with logging?

I would like to log AT commands that are being sent between the ecu and a scan tool for example

My interest is with the DPF system mainly I admit but knowing some of the AT commands devices could be made for the DIY mechanics was another idea
With the new triton having the DPF it maybe worth looking at a little closer
Simple injection relearn can be done etc

I have a device as mentioned somewhere here that resets the ECU every five sec so I know it can be done but this one is a little over the top resetting every thing
I've been in contact with the supplier about tweaking it but he doesn't seem to be interested in
I've noticed with it that I get a lot less torque converter slip, I don't know why but was thinking it maybe resetting the the gearbox as well keep img it in the learning state. When I put my foot down at 100 it's instant every time with it connected

So got me thinking again!

I have gotten a lot of info from a google forum but can't quite piece it together

i was also thinking with a ECU file update on disk for your model, could it be modified or even read then manipulated so the mut will flash it
I'm sure it's either the file name or something in the first bit of code in the file that tells the mut that it's a new version

The mut uses an old Internet explorer version in Windows to interact with the VCI and the VCI converts it (basic understanding)
Is there a log that can be read in explorer

I know a lot of this is over my head but it doesn't stop me :D

Sorry to jibber on
Stoneman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:49 pm

I'm taxing my memory now but a lot of the MUT3 stuff was written in JavaScript originally. I can't speak Java but at least it wasn't that hard to read and roughly understand what it was doing. The newer version from memory was coded with something else. They also went from using access databases (which you could unlock and read) to SQL databases (which I found more difficult to do anything with).

I don't know that explorer keeps a log, but there would be a log file of some description you would think. You might be able to find the log by letting Windows index your hard drive and then running a search on recently created files after running a mut3 process?

I know there is third party software to help read and edit roms but I've not got that far as yet.

There's also some relevance to K-line and another similar protocol that I can't recall right now but can look up if you're interested

Cowboy Dave

Postby Stoneman on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:55 am

Just heads up for anyone looking at the obdII Racechip Galaxy. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Ive done it and im fighting with them for them to pay return postage

they are happy to accept it may not work on my model but that's for me to find out the hard way in there opinion

Yes I knew what I was buying but you never know and now I can confidently say these are just a scam.

Buyer beware.
Stoneman

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks for the heads up Stoneman, hope you get a full refund (including postage), l thought some-thing didn't quite seem "kosha" about it, also wonder how many of these units they will eventually sell?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ICKIS on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Stoneman wrote:Just heads up for anyone looking at the obdII Racechip Galaxy. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Ive done it and im fighting with them for them to pay return postage

they are happy to accept it may not work on my model but that's for me to find out the hard way in there opinion

Yes I knew what I was buying but you never know and now I can confidently say these are just a scam.

Buyer beware.

Thanks mate... will consider other options
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby Jonty on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Good info there TMR and an interesting insight into what's really required :)

I've tuned a few Evo's using open ECU software (ECUFlash+ EVOScan), but haven't had much luck getting the rom definitions for the Triton as yet. Just bought an MN in December, so was hoping to have a look and play with the tune a little.

Do you know if the rom definitions are out in the public arena somewhere, or is remapping only available by purchasing the more expensive tuning software/licenses such as EcuTek?
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby braydenc on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:34 pm

For reference on the eBay chips I bought one as a dare and plugged it in just injector only and it did make a difference the claim was 450nm so 50nm over stock which I could feel in the seat test picked up quicker boosted quicker but I don't like the idea of relying on a $150 device controlling my high-pressure injectors but it did do something!

disconnected now though
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 am

Jonty wrote:Good info there TMR and an interesting insight into what's really required :)

I've tuned a few Evo's using open ECU software (ECUFlash+ EVOScan), but haven't had much luck getting the rom definitions for the Triton as yet. Just bought an MN in December, so was hoping to have a look and play with the tune a little.

Do you know if the rom definitions are out in the public arena somewhere, or is remapping only available by purchasing the more expensive tuning software/licenses such as EcuTek?

I spent a lot of time working with ECUFlash, and scoured the world for the MN definition files, but with no joy. If I had a huge amount of time, I could probably map the definitions, but it's a big task, and carries some risk. From the MQ point of view, I am fairly sure that the Russians have made significant progress on the definition file for the MQ, so try chasing them up. Have a look at the ETACS Decoder forum, and see if you can get any help from that crowd.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jonty on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks Bill, will check them out and see how I go. :)
2013 MN GLX-R
Jonty

Postby Ray57MQ on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Hey guys, was given details of someone highly recommended in NSW Hunter area who does remapping of the MQ.
But lost name and number...anyone have any contact details or had it done ?
Cheers..
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby gartam on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:49 am

I bought a chip for mine when it had 3500klms on it. I paid $820 for mine and it rockets now. I have just visited my uncle who has a ranger with a dp chip and mine pulls away from his. I still get between 750-800klms around town so I'm very happy.
gartam

Postby drewr33 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 pm

gartam wrote:I bought a chip for mine when it had 3500klms on it. I paid $820 for mine and it rockets now. I have just visited my uncle who has a ranger with a dp chip and mine pulls away from his. I still get between 750-800klms around town so I'm very happy.

Which chip did you purchase?
drewr33

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems