MQ SECONDARY FUEL FILTER

MQ SECONDARY FUEL FILTER

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi all,
I have searched and read up on peoples Secondary/ Pre fuel filter set ups such as those using a Donaldson or Western filters.
I am seriously tossing up the idea of sticking one on my MQ considering its a common rail and want to avoid all the expense/ dramas that goes along with a bad batch of diesel.
Wanting to know if any members with a current model MQ has had one installed, brand ,ease of fitment, cost and availability of replacement cartridges and if they went PRE or SECONDARY, ;)
CHEERS all,
WUNSIE
WUNSIE

Re: MQ SECONDARY FUEL FILTER

Postby Gilly44 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm looking at installing one on my MQ Donaldson pre filter had one on my ranger and worked a treat.
Gilly44

Postby Koala on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:37 pm

I installed a Fuel Manager kit in my MN recently which I purchased from Western Filters. They have a MQ kit listed for $330 plus fitting.
http://www.westernfilters.net.au/fuel-m ... mq-2-4ltr/
I assume that the MQ is the same as MN which has a 10 micron filter from the factory so I didn't see much point in putting a 30 micron filter inline before that. I spoke to Western Filters about supplying a secondary filter kit with 2 micron filters and they swapped the relevant bits in the kit before sending it to me at no extra charge. My theory is that the factory filter will catch the chunky bits larger than 10 micron and the Fuel Manager 2 micron will catch the finer stuff.
A very easy kit to fit on my MN including a optional warning light on the dash so I wouldn't imagine a MQ would be any different.
Western Filters couldn't have been better to deal with.
Grab a beer and watch this Youtube video which should answer a few of your questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYb4qzvvDZo

Koala
Koala
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am

Hi guy's, about to fit a West.Filters Fuel Manager ( as a pre filter - 30micron ) realise this will allow anything <30 to pass through to factory 10 micron but mainly went pre to catch any water earlier as about to do some remote touring soon.

Will be having spare 10 & 30 filters with me but what I wanted too know was....now that a few have been done on the MQ's and a few K's clocked up has anyone had any issues with dealers, or restrictions and/or the need to replace the 30micron element sooner than the recommended 10K ?
Appreciate any feedback, thanks
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby jerrah on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

Where does the 2nd filter go? With my dual batteries installed it's pretty tight on the cool side of the engine!
jerrah

Postby Silvermqtrito on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:18 pm

I run a water watch system on my mq audible alarm and led on dash when water is evident
Lock the hubs and go for gold!
Silvermqtrito

Postby Ray57MQ on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:03 pm

jerrah wrote:Where does the 2nd filter go? With my dual batteries installed it's pretty tight on the cool side of the engine!

I just had mine fitted, goes next to the factory primary - utilises the relay bracket mounting nuts then relay etc is refitted.
BUT accessing the drain is a PITA only about 15mm between it and bottom of bracket.
Rang supplier to see if maybe the wrong bracket was sent but nope !!
Haven't had to drain it yet but as I indicated in the other thread....going to be fun.
May have to make an extension plate for top of bracket to raise it about 40-50mm - but regardless hope I don't need to do too many times. :(

Silvermqtrito wrote:I run a water watch system on my mq audible alarm and led on dash when water is evident

G'day, how was yours fitted any dramas ? possible to post a pic ? Cheers
Ray57MQ

Postby gspy4u on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm

If you ever do need to drain it just undo the 2 bolts mounting it to the car and lift the whole thing up enough to drain it. Easiest way to change the filter as well is to take it off. No mess and plenty of room then. Only needs to be done 1 or 2 times a year anyway so not that much of an issue.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

gspy4u wrote:If you ever do need to drain it just undo the 2 bolts mounting it to the car and lift the whole thing up enough to drain it. Easiest way to change the filter as well is to take it off. No mess and plenty of room then. Only needs to be done 1 or 2 times a year anyway so not that much of an issue.

Hi mate, thanks I actually did that just after I posted my concern :( got the better of me.
Might even see if I can fabricate a quick release setup if it gives me the sh#%*. :lol:
Cheers..
Ray57MQ

Postby Silvermqtrito on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Sorry mate will get a few pics on the weekend.

It all fitted beautifully easy as to do. Well worth the cash
Lock the hubs and go for gold!
Silvermqtrito

Postby Michael.Finch on Tue May 02, 2017 8:39 am

Hi All

Already have a Filter Manager pre-filter unit (30um) I bought for a previous vehicle but never fitted it. Universal kit (filter + a few fittings and hose).

Has anyone fitted a (pre-)filter between the tank and the original filter, instead of mounting it in the hot engine bay. Whether there is room to fit it somewhere after tank is another issue, but i'm sure there'd be a spot somewhere suitable.

Want to keep the pre-filter as cool as possible. Common-Rail fuel pumps use the fuel for cooling (and other methods i'm sure).

And as a tip, don't let you tank get too empty. The less fuel in there the less cooling effect it has. Eventually the fuel will get quite hot and the cooling effect will be diminished.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

:-)

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby WUNSIE on Sat May 06, 2017 5:35 pm

I also have fitted a Pre filter to my MQ and I think the temperature of it is quite cool, ( felt it as soon as I shut it down ).I understand your thoughts, but they are on the cool side of the engine so to speak, but when you think about it, at least its in a place away from rocks and all the shite that can break the bowl if struck,
I have read articles on CRD and they reckon for every litre of diesel consumed, 8 litres are returned to tank via return line. I will have to find the magazine but it names the fourby,s that run a fuel cooler in the return line.
WUNSIE

Postby Michael.Finch on Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 am

Yeah, i'm just going to bit the bullet and get the whole kit fore the engine bay.

Issue sorted.

:-)

Thanks

Mike
Michael.Finch

Return to Fuel Systems