MQ ecu remapped

Re: MQ ecu remapped

Postby snowman on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Stoneman wrote:
I will be looking at my current turbo being upgraded next year with a modified new one and maybe bigger injectors
But it's hard to get good info to make a decision as most comments made about products are either just bagging them or a mate saying mate told him something with no evidence or no real explanation

This is exactly what is happening to my ML as we speak. Stay tuned. Pardon the pun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:30 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Particularly interesting was Matt Bailey's comments about ECU tunes and how the tuning software didn't quite interface with what was written to the ECU by the manufacturer. So, while it was possible to get quite a good tune it is very much a case of trial and error rather than being able to see the actual parameter as can be done on chips like the Unichip. His conclusion that the piggy-back style was far superior seems logical to me.

Piggy-back chips still essentially work by intercepting incoming signals, and modifying the resulting return signals. In some ways, this is no different to the ChipIt solution that is currently on the market. Unichip differs by monitoring many more of the available parameters. However, no piggyback chip adjusts the ECU in real-time, you are adjusting the Unichip. There is a subtle difference. Piggy-back chips monitor a much smaller range of input/output channels than the ECU.

This is the way ECUTEK works; The vehicle is put on the dyno, and the base tune is loaded. The vehicle is then run with the parameters being monitored in real-time. 100+ channels are monitored using the ECUTEK software. They use a dedicated, powerful piece of software to analyse the run, and the software highlights any areas for attention/improvement in the mapping. Changes can then be made based on this information, rather than trying to visually scan an entire map for problems. It eliminates guesswork via the algorithms that analyse the dyno run.

Obviously both options have their advantages; piggy-back chips can be removed and (possibly) reused, a remap can't. The piggy-back can be removed before presenting with a warranty claim, whereas you would have to go back to an ECUTEK tuner to have your OEM tune reloaded, prior to claiming a warranty issue. This may be on the back of a tow truck :cry:
The ECU remap modifies and controls many more parameters than the piggy-back, and all channels are controlled by the same microprocessor. The ECU also has hardware protection built into the PCB, which take over in the event of microprocessor failure (rare). The ECU remap is much cheaper than the Unichip, as there is no additional hardware, but I don't feel that this is much of a factor.

In summary, both have features that are appealing, and obviously different solutions appeal to different people. The important thing is that neither of these solutions are IAT resistors, or OBD-II based smoke-boxes. The OBD-II refresh rate for monitoring/controlling parameters is 100's of times slower than the ECU operates, so any claims made by sellers of OBD-II "performance" chips are fraudulent.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:05 am

Messing with the ecu via the diagnostic port with a 'black box' just reminded me of Jim Carey's last act in Bert Wonder stone! :lol:

I'm inclined that some mild tweeking with sensor bias should be the least risk. After 20 odd years of upgrading phone system software, I've finally landed one that's locked me out after the operation.

So what happens when a tuner lands your ecu in a catonic state and can't resuscitate it?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 am

Stoneman

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:54 am

RHKTriton wrote:So what happens when a tuner lands your ecu in a catonic state and can't resuscitate it?

I asked the same thing. The answer; It's never happened, but if it did, they would wear the replacement cost.
I assume that ECUTEK would be interested in any failures, as it may provide valuable info.

You could also ask what happens if the piggy-back installer fries your ECU with an incorrect or dodgy connection......

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:00 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:You could also ask what happens if the piggy-back installer fries your ECU with an incorrect or dodgy connection......

A lot more unlikely as their not working with the circuit board.
Most of the signals are sent or read with 5volts so IMO it's unlikely to happen and you will get a fault code at worst
But if a complete monkey done the wiring anything is possible

i think a lot of tuners like too talk crap.

When you talk to the right people you soon realise how much crap is out there.
Stoneman

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 am

Stoneman wrote:When you talk to the right people you soon realise how much crap is out there.

True, and I've seen some of the best examples of crap. You wouldn't believe what some people try to pass off as a quality installation. Usually, the biggest stuff ups come from the "industry experts", but they sure as hell know how to cover their backsides.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:55 am

:lol: what I've seen under bonnets when giving people a jump start leaves me wondering how they made it out of their driveway.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:22 am

RHKTriton wrote::lol: what I've seen under bonnets when giving people a jump start leaves me wondering how they made it out of their driveway.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Who backs their products like this?

Click to view larger picture
Stoneman

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Double posting on my iPad, don't know why.
Stoneman

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 am

From the MRT site;

Is my Factory warranty affected?

Yes, however some workshops give the same warranty as the factory and give a Factory warranty Guarantee.
These include MRT, S/J auto, etc
So you CAN have your cake and eat it. Modify your car AND keep the same warranty :)

They cover the vehicle with the ECUTEK remap with the same warranty as MMAL.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Mq ecu remap. What power are you getting.

Postby gartam on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 am

Hi all, just interested to see what power people have got out of their mq triton after it has been tuned.
Cheers.
gartam

Postby gartam on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 am

So I put my mq on the dyno this morning and some interesting results. It put out 102.7 kw at the wheels on the first run and 107.3 on the second run. What was interesting was that it was putting down 540nm at the wheels at 1500rpm. He couldnt get a good run because of traction control. He had to pull the ABS module for so the traction control light wasnt going off it's head. After he pulled the ABS module all power died off at about 3000rpm. With the chip hooked up my triton is still pulling at 4000rpm but on the dyno it was still dropping off at 3000rpm. All i could get was 112 at the wheels. With the laptop on the road run it would pull 133.3 at the wheels and 645nm at the wheels. That said I'm pretty damn happy.
gartam

ECU Remap for MQ Triton Exceed

Postby phoebe on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:31 pm

If this has already been discussed I have no idea where to look for it. I am wondering about the pros and cons of getting an ECU remap. One bloke on you tube maintains it is a very bad idea but a search on this forum suggests plenty have done it however I cannot find any reference as to their direct experience or satisfaction.

We are in the country and have a choice of one provider who has a pretty good reputation and uses a dyno, Cost wise $1290 and he has made suggestions about increases in torque etc.

Old mate on you tube says he knows plenty of cases where it has gone pear shaped and the dealer will no longer recognise the warranty because it is no longer their software configuration.

Towing a van now and really could do with a boost.

Help greatly appreciated or at least a pointer to where this has been covered before. Thanks
phoebe

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Phoebe, I've moved your post here since this thread is more generally about tuning and ECU remaps. There is another here but that one is generally more specifically about the Roo Systems remap.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Bluey_Zarsoff on Thu May 18, 2023 5:44 pm

Not sure if they have a dyno on site, but a bloke named Lindsay Burrows works out of there and he knows his stuff.

I know this is an old post but that MR Burrows you are talking about may know his stuff when it comes to the Tillix valve.
But he also knows how to cook MN Tritons by running them on that ancient Dyno at Caboolture & using ONE worn out useless pedestal fan for cooling that wouldn't blow your hat off..
He revs the guts out of them to beyond Red-line in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears only until the Turbo is glowing RED HOT and I can tell you from experience that I have never heard a 4D56 scream as loud in pain before or after his so called tune.
He might be OK at tuning 500HP Petrol race cars but when it comes to tiny Turbo diesels (especially MN Triton's) my advice is to Stay well away from his Dyno..
Bluey_Zarsoff

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems