New turbo required

Anything Triton related

Cheap Turbo?

Postby paulmp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Hey All,

The saga continues with my 2009 MN Triton GLX-R. After Mitsubishi replaced the engine it was still going into limp mode from time to time, mostly when overtaking road trains and/or increasing speed while going up a hill at 100kph+.

Mitsubishi are now saying I need a new turbo, they want to charge me $4000 for a new one, plus fitting (never going to happen) or $1100 for a second hand turbo fitted.

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their turbos with one of the new ebay turbos that are generally between $300-600? I'm looking at it and it really can't be all that difficult to replace the turbo, I've previously done clutches, gearboxes and and entire engines, the turbo looks pretty simple by comparison.

- paul
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to better reflect content
paulmp

Re: Ebay Turbo?

Postby MilkmanDan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Bolt off bolt on, simples. Get your own second handy, bloke in SA has two advertised in the classifieds. It’s well out of warranty so do it yourself
MilkmanDan

Postby paulmp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:54 pm

MilkmanDan wrote:Bolt off bolt on, simples. Get your own second handy, bloke in SA has two advertised in the classifieds. It’s well out of warranty so do it yourself

Ugh.. did not even think to look on the classifieds. Will send a PM to the bloke about 1 of the turbos.
paulmp

Postby SLIMaxPower on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm

ooh ooh another warranty job. mine has done the same thing although at 125 overtaking (4th gear since 65ish if on a flat road) and towing a 2.5t tandem trailer with ac on full.

I forgot how to wire up the turbo normally. I kept all the hardware luckily. I must say though this turbo in mine has performed beatifully. Its copped a wallop from me - no where near as bad as some other members though :P

Now, my Stealer knows I've used mods, and I have made several high level complaints - mainly before any use by me 4wheelin etc. Hell I bought a brand new gearbox off them after shredding 3rd gear from too much torque (that was me using the gearbox to decelerate while towing and not neccessarily the amount of power output.)

Its due for a 60K service (which is the final capped price servicve and warranty for engine ?) very soon so should put my case forward now.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 am

paulmp wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their turbos with one of the new ebay turbos that are generally between $300-600?

A mate of mine owns one of the most reputable turbo shops in Australia. The look on his face when someone mentions eBay turbos, or second hand turbos, is priceless, especially when it comes to Diesels. He has seen some very expensive mistakes... :shock:

Get your existing tubo overhauled, and eliminate any uncertainty.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Ebay turbo on cousins Xr6 after half an hour of use. He is reconditioning his original one now.
Click to view larger picture
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:38 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:35 pm

Cripes! Did he feed it gravel? :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paulmp on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Having read through the forum and searched for my actual error code (P1298), I'm now thinking that I don't need a new turbo at all... It is over boosting.

I'm not sure what the fix is for it. I'm running the stock exhaust, but I have a snorkel and a K&N Filter.

I read through the massive thread about over boosting and there were different thoughts on fixes, I'm just looking for the right fix though, I'm pretty broke still from replacing the engine last year.
paulmp

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Overboost, if that's what it is, is less common with stock exhaust, but not unheard of.

Lose the K&N filter before you do anything. That way you're dealing with factory conditions.

First thing is to figure out why. Is it actually overboosting or is the ECU getting the wrong signals. MAP sensor and all connections first. Also all of those vacuum hoses. A little split could be causing incorrect information to go to the ECU. Then connect a boost gauge, even if just temporarily, so you can actually see what is happening. If the boost is spiking then a Dawes valve may be needed to keep it under control.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby paulmp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks Chris, Mitsubishi have poured over it and driven it with their computers attached and have confirmed it is overboosting. Will get a boost gauge and also test it with the factory filter.
paulmp

Replacement MN turbo

Postby oldm8 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:35 am

Hey guys,

The vanes are sticking in my turbo and that's warn out the actuator arm as it enters the exhaust side housing.

With that in mind, it think its time for a new turbo! What are peoples experience with Ebay replacement turbos? They are so cheap compared to even second hand ones, the temptation is strong! Or is there any other turbos that are suitable? I wouldn't be chasing max peak power, if anything more a bit lower.

Cheers,
oldm8

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu May 03, 2018 8:06 am

Please search before you start a new thread oldm8.

The answers are in this thread.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Re: Replacement MN turbo

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

oldm8 wrote:Hey guys,

The vanes are sticking in my turbo and that's warn out the actuator arm as it enters the exhaust side housing.

With that in mind, it think its time for a new turbo! What are peoples experience with Ebay replacement turbos? They are so cheap compared to even second hand ones, the temptation is strong! Or is there any other turbos that are suitable? I wouldn't be chasing max peak power, if anything more a bit lower.

Cheers,

This makes me laugh; risking a potential $6k engine replacement, to save a few bucks on a turbo.

Get your turbo rebuilt by a reputable shop.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

New turbo required

Postby lufc on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi all
Just found out I need a new turbo for my MN Triton.
Mitsubishi have quoted me $4300
I will probably do it myself, my question is what turbo do I buy , surley there are other options , there's heaps on eBay for $500 but not sure what there like .
Cheers
lufc

Re: New turbo required

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:36 pm

$4300!

So what's actually wrong with it?

Have you considered refurbishment?

From what I've read, the cheapies can be prone to fly apart.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lufc on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

RHKTriton wrote:$4300!

So what's actually wrong with it?

Have you considered refurbishment?

From what I've read, the cheapies can be prone to fly apart.

It is badly worn , I have heard of refurbishment but not sure where to take it
lufc

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Have a Google for turbo repairs - seem to be lots of joints offering repairs and replacements.

Alternately try a wrecker, might be able to get something to carry you through a couple of years.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lufc on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 am

RHKTriton wrote:Have a Google for turbo repairs - seem to be lots of joints offering repairs and replacements.

Alternately try a wrecker, might be able to get something to carry you through a couple of years.

cheers mate, i found a company nearby that will refurbish
lufc

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Good stuff.

What's the turn around like?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

turbo

Postby lufc on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 am

anyone bought one of these or know anyone that has purchased one, hell of a lot cheaper than genuine

https://demonproparts.com.au/collection ... 6-1515a170
lufc

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 am

Might be worth reading the previous posts. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Replacement Turbo Needed

Postby ozguy7 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi All,

During a recent service Mitsubishi said they found metal filings at the rear of the turbo where it connects to the Dump Pipe. They stated this is causing the excessive black smoke / high fuel consumption that I'm seeing.

As the car is out of warranty I'm after suggestions on where / how to source a cheap replacement turbo. Mitsi quoted 1500 for a similar spec to OEM fitted. Any tips / tricks on installing would be helpful too, as it looks like it just bolts on and that's it?.

Cheers!
ozguy7

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Merged 3 threads into one since they're all about the same thing. I do wish some of you guys would search before you start a new thread. :( :(

Ozguy, read the preceding posts.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Re: Replacement Turbo Needed

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:52 pm

ozguy7 wrote:Hi All,

During a recent service Mitsubishi said they found metal filings at the rear of the turbo where it connects to the Dump Pipe. They stated this is causing the excessive black smoke / high fuel consumption that I'm seeing.

Cheers!

More info ! Metal filings from external of the turbo, if its external how the hell is that going to cause bloody issues, with whats going on inside, and more important where did it come from :o take what they say with a grain of salt, Don't take what they say as gospel get a second opinion from a reputable trustworthy mob,
Put the message out here where you are and I,m sure someone will come to your aid with a good knowledgeable spannerman
WUNSIE

Next

Return to General Discussion