mr triton injectors

mr triton injectors

Postby mitzi1 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:03 pm

Since new there been a quiet metallic ringing sound around injector 4. Then another similar sound from around number 1.
Both over a period of 18 months have got louder and the front one extremely loud, quite loud with the bonnet down from a couple of metres away. This only happens as the engine warms up andthe loudness increases with the engine temp. Have asked dealer service blokes and hav been told they can hear it but have no idea what it is, could be injector or valves or engine. That's it. For the last week quite often at idle engine runs a bit rough and a sound similar to a rod knock is audible from from either around the front or rear cylinder. Only happens at hot idle after a drive and then left standing for a couple of minutes'. Google tells me the rod knock could be caused by a faulty injector. Ha ve rung dealer but he won't even look at the vehicle for 5 minutes to hear it going on. Says if I want it checked I will have to book it in and pay $160 dollars an hour just for them to try and hear it and diagnose it and then book it in again if any action is necessary. The vehicle has just e come back from a service and the knock from deep down only started after I got the vehicle back. Was also told they had emptied the engine ecu to let the engine reprogram itself over a thousand km till it reprogrammed itself to my driving style. NOt the auto trans, but the engine. Yhis was after I rang them to say the engine was running as rough as guts.
1300 km later I have this engine behaviour and an engine which is sometimes a bit rough and sometimes smooth for a while. ' But the ringing at idle is always there louder than ever and the bottom end thump has joined it. Starts well always and has never failed to start or get to destination. Has now done 28000k, shown on the odometer.
Any advice welcome, please.
If it helps any the fuel economy round town stinks and improves after 10k on freeway. Round town it reads up to 12l/100for a time and can drop to 10.5. Open road will eventually come down to 8.5. One long run it came in at 8.4l/100. if starting cold and driving round town it will do 11 to 11.5 l/100and if then turned onto the freeway it will come down to usually between 8.5 to 9.5l/100 after another 20 or 30 km and smooth out nicely
Last edited by mitzi1 on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitzi1

Re: mr triton injectors

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Wheres Dibby, he,s the one you want to help diagnose this
WUNSIE

Re: mr triton injectors

Postby mitzi1 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:45 pm

For what it's worth I took the engine cover off and stuck a stethoscope o the injectors. Numbers 2 and 4 gave a soft tapping sound as they operated and number one gave a fairly audible ring sound I heard with the cover on. Number 3 nearly deafened me with a really really loud metallic ringing sound and I quickly took the stethoscope off it before it damaged my bloody ears. Also place it on th fuel lines leading to the injectors with the same result.
Seems to me it could be early injector failure. Strange for 2 injectors to fail on a new car at three months. They started off quiet and have been getting progressively louder. This could be the cause of variable fuel economy too.
Any thoughts please.
mitzi1

Return to Fuel Systems