Search Tutorial - Beginners guide
You may be a first time user of this forum or an old hat, either way learning how to use search can be a bit of a skill on its own, with over 4000 members and now over 90,455 posts (at time of writing) there is a huge amount of information, these posts are spread over 5100 plus threads or discussions, so finding something can sometimes be a right ole pain in the behind.
So to help everyone, old and new, out we have created this help thread on "how to use search", don't worry I have even learnt thing's writing this up.
A couple of points to think about whether it be searching or posting:
1. Search is friend :D
2. Don't be afraid to play with the advanced options as you will see below.
3. If you are creating a new thread/disussion think about your title as it can greatly help others to search it out later and of course makes search work better, sit back and have a look at the titles that get created already and you will see what we mean.
4. A lot of stuff has already been said in the past which can be hard to find so dont worry if we either point you to that other thread or we may merge the two threads together. You will get better at this as you gain more experience here.
5. Search can save you invaluable time.
This is intended as a simple beginners guide to using search to get you use to it, and advanced guide will be developed and added below over time.
1. This is what the advanced search screen looks like, it is your friend, I wanted to use as vague off topic title in this example so as you can see I am searching for the term "users online", practise this and use your own search term.
2. So normally what you will do is type this in and go straight to the bottom and click SEARCH, but just have a glance at all of the options in between for a moment.
3. After clicking SEARCH have a look at what I got, 31 matches spread over 2 pages. Just imagine if you had typed egr or suspension etc. your results would have probably been over 50 pages easy.
4. Now you will have noticed that the "Display results as" option is by default set to POSTS, try changing it to TOPICS and now click SEARCH.
5. You can now view the same 31 posts but they are showed as Topics now, 5 of them actually. Have a look and you can see by title if something may be close to what you are searching for. But the point is the same information has now been condensed to 1 page of 5 topics, not as scary as previously searched.
6. Now to narrow down again in this example I have selected to search in a particular forum only and below that I have said to only search in"topic titles" only. I have still selected "Display results as Topics".
7. After clicking search my results are returned and in this search I got one, the one I was actually after, awesome.
This is not intended as the only method to use search but more to get you to using the different options available, so as you can see from the above examples, by taking a moment and thinking about some of the advanced options that you can select you can narrow down your search results quite extensively.
It may not always work and there are plenty of other alternative options to select, but take a moment to try choosing them because once you have mastered it you will get the answers you are looking for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.