The Newbie Help Thread

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Re: The Newbie Help Thread

Postby alian on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am

Hi all,
Another new member here and I will be bound to have a few stupid questions for all to laugh at.
We bought our MN GLXR Triton 3 years ago as it had the largest back section to carry specific sized item for work & the Kids are now way to tall ( 5'10" )for the Crewman, We were never going to mod it at all as it was our family car but about 10 months ago we ended up buying a second hand (1999) Kimberly Kamper and our life style for the week ends have changed around a bit. About 8 months ago we decided to pull the tub off, build an alloy tray and turn it into a real work ute as the liner was very limiting for carrying gear to the powder coater. We then put a Pedders 2" lift kit in with a stronger rear spring to help keep the vehicle level when carrying weight. We are about to start building a rear Alloy canopy as soon as time allows so we can carry more camping gear and keep it dry. Ended up on here after searching the egr blank set up, what an epic read. Wish I had only read the the last couple of pages though :) Any way hope to learn a lot more here, seems to filled with lots of similar minded people helping each other out.
Cheers Ian
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bristriton2013 on Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm

G'day
Bought a new dual cab diesel GLX triton last year. Really happy with the vehicle so far except for the high pitched brake noise it makes when I first drive it from cold.
I took it into Mitsubishi twice to get them to look at it and even into Midas to get a 2nd opinion. All I was told from them was that that is the noise the brake pads will make until they warm up, which takes about 5-10mins of driving/braking. They told me there is nothing wrong with them, safety wise, but that the only thing that could be done would be to re-machine the brakes and put new pads on it, but that might not even change.
Is not a huge issue, is doesn't make the vehicle any less safe, but it's just annoying having that high pitched screetch for the first bit of driving in the morning or any time I leave somewhere after that.

Anyone had the same problem?
bristriton2013

Postby al coholic on Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm

I wouldn't say that is a normal triton issue mate, can't say I've ever heard many others complain about it in fact.
I know mine certainly doesn't do it, although I've got Bendix pads and aftermarket front rotors.

I assume the noise is front brakes?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby bristriton2013 on Thu May 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah mate, front brakes. I think I'm going to go straight to the manager of the place, Zupps Mitsubishi Mt Gravatt, since the people at the desk of the service centre give me a bit of a 'what are you whinging about, they're fine' look.

Also, I want to start modifying my Triton, new tyres, suspension etc, but I don't really know where to start.
Can anyone give me some info on what's best to start with and what size/brand of tyres are best??
bristriton2013

Postby variflex on Thu May 29, 2014 5:22 pm

I occasionally get that brake noise when cold, I just brake a little later and harder and it will go away, only happens every now and then, I believe it's just a bit of glazing, if it's an issue for you just fit the slotted rotors
variflex

Postby tondo12 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:01 pm

What Ks are people getting out there brakes, I bought A MN 2013 and almost at 30k, and currenty getting the noise people are talking about above. 30ks out of a set of brakes is a bit low I think, What do others think?
tondo12

Postby motoz on Fri May 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Got 80'000 from my rears and about 40'000 from the fronts.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri May 30, 2014 5:13 pm

bristriton2013 wrote:Yeah mate, front brakes. I think I'm going to go straight to the manager of the place, Zupps Mitsubishi Mt Gravatt, since the people at the desk of the service centre give me a bit of a 'what are you whinging about, they're fine' look.

Also, I want to start modifying my Triton, new tyres, suspension etc, but I don't really know where to start.
Can anyone give me some info on what's best to start with and what size/brand of tyres are best??

Mate, I'd start here

Just read the topics that you think might be relevant, and then have a look at some of the build threads for inspiration.

tondo12 wrote:What Ks are people getting out there brakes, I bought A MN 2013 and almost at 30k, and currenty getting the noise people are talking about above. 30ks out of a set of brakes is a bit low I think, What do others think?

Tritons are a little hard on pads but depends to quite a great deal on how you drive and the loads you're carrying (or stopping). I think 50K would seem about average but the range could be 20K either side of that. One of the tricks is to keep your rear linings adjusted right up so they do their share.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I've had squeaky brakes before but more so the rears. I found giving them a good clean out to remove dust helped on the back but new shoes (bendix) removed the issue altogether. For the front an additional option might be the two more common anti squeal products. One is a spray that goes on the discs and the other is like an adhesive that goes behind the pads and is supposed to stop them vibrating which is apparently one cause of squealing.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tondo12 on Sat May 31, 2014 7:45 am

Has anyone bought there own brakes and taken them to Mitsubishi to fit? Will Mitsubishi do this, or do they prefer to use there own supplier?
tondo12

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Depends on your dealer mate. They'll probably be miffed since they miss out on the margin for selling you the parts but provided they're the right part number and stuff they shouldn't object. You might get someone try and tell you you're voiding your warranty but that's bullshit unless they can prove the non-genuine part caused an issue.

There's a brake changing reference thread somewhere with a few of the different brands part numbers and DIY instructions for replacing the rear shoes if you're game.

Cowboy Dave

Postby aus_andyk on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi,

Wanted to ask a question to a forum sponsor, mainly Scott's Rods.

Hesitant to start a new topic in the sponsor section, so just wondering where I can ask a question.

Cheers

Andy
aus_andyk

Postby Buzzy on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Send pm
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby aus_andyk on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Doh!..of course. :lol:

Thx Buzzy
aus_andyk

Postby dom.taylor3 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Hello forum

Is there a way to set up notifications for when people reply to you on a thread?

Cheers
dom.taylor3

Postby Dans Tri on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Yes under board preferences in the control panel
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Actually if you scroll down to the bottom of the thread and choose subscribe topic it will send you a notification about new posts.

Cowboy Dave

Postby dom.taylor3 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 am

Dans Tri wrote:Yes under board preferences in the control panel

...Thankyou sir

Looks like I've got a virus don't follow any link that might pop up in my posts

All fixed it was something that could only be seen on my end anways :)
Last edited by dom.taylor3 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
dom.taylor3

Postby dom.taylor3 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Actually if you scroll down to the bottom of the thread and choose subscribe topic it will send you a notification about new posts.

And thank you again Dave

Looks like I've got a virus don't follow any link that might pop up in my posts

All fixed it was something that could only be seen on my end anways :)
dom.taylor3

Postby Frank's GLX-R on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Just Bought a Triton GLX-R and can't wait to get out amongst it. I've literally been shopping for 2 weeks solid and have test driven 6 different utes all up, but I'm so glad I had a few suggestions on a Triton 'cos IT HAD ME AT HELLO. I don't know how to post a photo yet but it will soon come, see you on the tracks. Frank, Brisbane.
Frank's GLX-R

Postby har05l on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Frank's GLX-R wrote:Just Bought a Triton GLX-R and can't wait to get out amongst it. I've literally been shopping for 2 weeks solid and have test driven 6 different utes all up, but I'm so glad I had a few suggestions on a Triton 'cos IT HAD ME AT HELLO. I don't know how to post a photo yet but it will soon come, see you on the tracks. Frank, Brisbane.

Welcome Frank ;)

Start with a little read through the below link and amongst it you will find the answer to your question ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8230

Enjoy :)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby woodiebear on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey Gents!

another complete 4x4 Noob here :D

picked up my brand new 2014 glx about a month ago and loving it... time to start putting some monies into modding the hell out of... Still haven't done any offroading so if anyone on here is from Newcastle area and wants to help me out with the basics of offroading that would be killer!

picked up my Stockton beach permit on Saturday and pretty keen on hitting some dirt pretty soon.
woodiebear

Postby Painkiller on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:56 pm

No noobs since last year? Well I fix that... :lol:
'Don't just stand there watching, ask if you can help'
So much to learn, so little time...
Painkiller

Postby destorman on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Painkiller wrote:No noobs since last year? Well I fix that... :lol:

No, no ... they've all been promoted to moderators ;)

Welcome aboard.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:37 pm

No just the noobs go to other threads or create new threads etc rather than asking in here. No biggie but good on you for finding it.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions