Potential new triton owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Potential new triton owner

Postby cb50 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 am

Hi all

I have been looking for info on dual cab 4x4's and found this top site on Tritons, a 4wd on top of my list. The Triton really looks like a great car and appears to be very good value. I live in SW WA where it seems like 4 wheel drive central!
I need a 4x4 to tow and launch/retrieve my boat as well as get around on the bush block which gets pretty wet in winter and sandy dry in summer. My ford doesnt like going there!

I am a complete newcomer to owning a 4x4 and have a few questions if someone can help me out.
Firstly I am not sure if I need to go manual or auto diesel or ulp? Are there major differences between these?
Is the latest model an 08 or a 09 as I have seen it referred to as 09 on a few sites?
I had a quick look through a VR model here in Busselton on the weekend, but I see others refer to a bunch of models, like GLX etc. Are there major differences and prices between these models?
Has anyone had the LPG injection system fitted to their Triton to improve fuel economy and efficiency? I have seen newspaper and TV adds that say this is the case. I have been running gas fired fords for over 10 years and it is just great.

Thankyou for any advice on these initial questions

kind regards

cb
cb50

Re: Potential new triton owner

Postby Eelesy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:47 am

Hi and welcome to the site.

I am gonna be bias and say that Diesel is the way to go. Diesels have good torque, and IMHO are better all around offroad and for towing.. less electricals(none!) to go wrong in water and crap like that.. and less service intervals

As for auto vs manual, i drive a manual but now if i bought another one i would get an auto. gone are the days of pissweak auto boxes in 4wd, these days they are widely used and have proven themselves.

i believe the lasest model is the MY09. may be wrong, but i think the model numbers change and are current for each financial year.

glx is your base model. ie cheapest.
glxr is mid range model, all the goodies
vr is basically the glxr without the nudge bar, hard cover and roll bar. a good choice if u plan on adding a bullbar and canopy.
gls is the top of the range, leather interior, sunroof and some jazzier stuff.

for a better comparison try the mitsi website

i cant answer the lpg conversion question for you as i dont know that much, but i believe there are a few guys on here that can help
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:52 am

Ohh and you forgot one thing Saurus gotta go 'Cybe Blue' :D 8-)

And to add onto what saurus said - auto is a very good option for many cases, very good on the sand towing trailers or boats, and doesnt suffer the shudder issues as bad as the manuals.

VR is a very good option - alot of us have opted for that as its a good alround ute! Mod cons with the added luxury!
ML-VR08

Postby spargo on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:04 am

For my mind the VR offers the best value for money in the range; UNLESS you specifically want all of the extras offered on the GLX-R.

I have a 3 week old black VR Auto-Diesel (before now I've never had a diesel, or an auto by choice, and I love the combination!!), and my wife is in the latter stages of getting her drivers licence in it and actually enjoys driving the thing around town! - that to me says big things about their on-road ability and comfort. The cabin space, features, and design is class-leading in my opinion, and built quality feels great so far.. but have a shop around the competitors and see for yourself. And be sure to drive all of the competition. The rest felt like trucks to me, which is not what I wanted as it's our primary/only car, while still demanding a proper 4x4.

Off-road, I'll let others around here speak for that as ours has only been muddy once, but I'm yet to hear someone find flaws in their capability with the right minimal off-road extras added.

We've taken the rear style-side off of the ute, and added an alloy tray.. click here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1678&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p24707

oh yeah, should have added - the latest models are the MY09 variant. So if you buy today, most new cars will be the 2008-plated MY09 Triton. The MY09 includes some new tricks that weren't in new ones sold as MY08, such as cruise control on some models; and the Super-Select gearbox from the Pajero, instead of the Easy-Select which gives an extra 4WD mode (Full-Time 4WD).

have fun shopping around!!
spargo

Postby jop on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 am

Gls - gets the good seats too
jop

Postby Greedy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:43 am

spargo wrote:For my mind the VR offers the best value for money in the range; UNLESS you specifically want all of the extras offered on the GLX-R. The MY09 includes some new tricks that weren't in new ones sold as MY08, such as cruise control on some models; and the Super-Select gearbox from the Pajero, instead of the Easy-Select which gives an extra 4WD mode (Full-Time 4WD).

Just be aware the 09 VR has been downgraded in other areas from the 08. Leather steering wheel and gearknob gone, fog lights gone, glx tub added in place of GLX-R tub and there are probably others. I have an 08 so only speaking from others comments.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:47 am

Good point greedy, i have the 08 aswel
ML-VR08

Postby spargo on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Greedy wrote:
spargo wrote:For my mind the VR offers the best value for money in the range; UNLESS you specifically want all of the extras offered on the GLX-R. The MY09 includes some new tricks that weren't in new ones sold as MY08, such as cruise control on some models; and the Super-Select gearbox from the Pajero, instead of the Easy-Select which gives an extra 4WD mode (Full-Time 4WD).

Just be aware the 09 VR has been downgraded in other areas from the 08. Leather steering wheel and gearknob gone, fog lights gone, glx tub added in place of GLX-R tub and there are probably others. I have an 08 so only speaking from others comments.

he speaks the truth RE: the downgrades, however the gains (S-Select, etc) are worth it if the VR suits you better over the GLX-R spec and its extras. from a range of models perspective, the Triton line-up is closer to having 'something for everyone' than say the BT-50 model range and others..

if I really wanted a leather gear knob and wheel in my car, I wouldn't be buying a vehicle like a Triton.. ;)
spargo

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Just got to be real careful here though.
Mitsubishi have got very clever.

From what I have been able to gather (info a couple of months old- do your research)
Difflock is not available in the VR
16" rims

I went for a glx-r diesel with auto. very nice combination.

Petrol would be looking better these days again, but in my opinion there are better petrol engines available in other vehicles (also need to check LPG compatability, some have had problems)- hence the choice of diesel.

You also mention towing- I believe the towing rating of the triton has been raised to 2.5 tonne
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Greedy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm

The price difference has risen though. GLX-R is now $4000 more expensive. VR also loses a couple of speakers whilst the GLX-R gains 2. Also the VR doesn't get the "Mitsubishi Power Sound System" whatever that is. The diff lock could sway quite a few people who enjoy the offroad experience to the more expensive GLX-R. Probably expect a rash of hard covers and sports bars on ebay. Do Mitsi still offer the $750 discount if you don't want them?

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 am

For what it's worth (all below comments are IMHO) I would go GLX-R diesel auto if you're towing.

I have the petrol auto and it tows OK but nothing tows like diesel - also the diesel 2008 MY09 version (they bring out an MY = 'model year' version in most years to designate an upgrade - eg 2008 MY08 is original 2008 model, 2008 MY 09 is the upgrade - or downgrade if looking at the VR :o ) has cruise control, super select, 17" wheels (with good tyres) etc so is probably worth the added $$$$ over the petrol version - plus it seems you can modify the diesels pretty cheap and easily to offer better performance if that is what you are into.

Auto is simply better for everything other than serious bush bashing, particularly if you live in city traffic - sounds like you might not suffer this in SW WA??

One thing I've read on here a lot though is go for the aftermarket (ARB) tow bar over the factory one (I have factory) as it offers better ground clearance/departure angle and tow height for offroad - it just might be a wait to get it in stock depending where you are.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:28 am

Homer wrote:One thing I've read on here a lot though is go for the aftermarket (ARB) tow bar over the factory one (I have factory) as it offers better ground clearance/departure angle and tow height for offroad - it just might be a wait to get it in stock depending where you are.

The VR09 can take the GLX towbar (I think) as there is no rear step. This bar sits considerable higher than the GLX-R towbar cause it doesn't have to go under the rear step. But then you still have no rear step so ARB again becomes a toss up based on needs.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:03 am

No such thing as traffic in WA. And for anyone who thinks there is - they just haven't been to Sydney :lol:

Manual is more fun over here. If I were back in Sydney, I wouldn't have a manual - and I probably wouldn't have a Triton.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cb50 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 am

Hi everyone

I am just amazed by the great response by everyone here. What a top group of people. Thanks so much for all the really relevant advice on going Triton.
I get the impression the view of having auto with a 4wd is definitely not what it used to be! The technology must be so much better. Are the autos 5 speed and is this the 'super select'? Would the 5 speed improve fuel economy as well?

I see there is many add ons that can be bought for the triton and it seems some are better obtaining them after-market? Im not sure what the 'tub' refers to? Is it the back empty tray? Are there covers and liners for them? Can someone please explain to me what diff lock is and its importance for 4wd?

I dont mind not having a leather interior so I guess the VR or the GLX series would be the go. I will test drive these along with some other brands as some suggest. The Rodeo is a nice vehicle but I see it is now the Colarado, is that right?

Many thanks to all
cb50

Postby Greedy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:57 am

cb50 wrote:Are the autos 5 speed and is this the 'super select'?

The auto is still a 4 speed unfortunately. Super select is the method of selecting 4WD. This allows 4WD to be engaged on bitumen as well I believe. Mine only has easy select 4WD though so check my info out. :oops:
cb50 wrote:Im not sure what the 'tub' refers to?

The tub is the ute part. you can also get a tray.
cb50 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what diff lock is and its importance for 4wd?

Both wheels spin at the same speed all the time when engaged (it can be turned off and creates an open diff). This enables drive through the opposite wheel of the diff even though one wheel is in the air or has lost traction. Can help get places others can't or get you out of a jam.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:41 am

Super select (as explained by Greedy allowing you to use 4wd on bitumen - good when it's wet or snowy or something)) is only available in the diesel model at this stage I believe.
The diesel also has cruise control as standard in GLX-R models (petrol doesn't get either).
I have heard - but don't know for sure - that the VR only has 16" wheels and no diff lock option available (and maybe not super select?) - you get 17" wheels standard on GLX-R and optional diff lock. In a normal 4wd only 1 back wheel and 1 front wheel drives (affectively making it a 2 wheel drive - and if one rear wheel for example is off the ground or spinning in sand or whatever, the other rear wheel just stays still and you don't have any rear wheel drive at all), when you lock the diff, both back wheels drive (effectively making it a 3 wheel drive and even with the one wheel in the air or bogged, the other still turns and can drive you out of trouble).

Did I just repeat everything Greedy said?
Must have too much time on my hands.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 am

NaffX214 wrote:No such thing as traffic in WA. And for anyone who thinks there is - they just haven't been to Sydney :lol:

Manual is more fun over here. If I were back in Sydney, I wouldn't have a manual - and I probably wouldn't have a Triton.

I live in Sydney. I have a Triton. It is manual.

I hate living in Sydney.
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby irsa76 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm looking at getting a Triton myself, 4x2 GLX double cab DiD manual, and have the MY09 brochure infront of me. It states that the difflock is optional on ALL 4x4 models, VR from sept '08 production and GLX requires ABS. Although unless Mitsubishi has messed with the hybrid LSD, it would be fine for most offroading. And better for towing.
irsa76

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 pm

4x4 vs 4x2 is the same for towing. Don't know if the 4x2 has H-LSD rear or open? The LSD rear is very good. I've hung it up and it just walks out with a little pressure on the hand break.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby irsa76 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:51 pm

All models except the GLS have LSD, the GLS has the locker. I was at the dealer today and discovered that the GLXR now was lapsash seatbelt and head restraint in the middle rear seat postion, not mentioned in the brochure and even the dealer didn't realise it! I assume the VR above spec has this setup.
irsa76

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 pm

My 07 Has a head restraint s and full seatbelt, or is it lap.....
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby nev08 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:54 pm

I wish i had known about this sight before i bought my glx-r as the vr seems better option if youre going to fit aftermarket arb canopy &towbar. deals done in haste are often regreted although got a :oops: good price and trade-in.
nev08

Return to Introductions