new triton owner - wondering what to do next

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

new triton owner - wondering what to do next

Postby jerry on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 am

Hi all,
I just picked up my new Triton a few weeks ago and then also found this site on the weekend. There seems to be heaps of information here and I am looking forward to finding out more about Tritons.
I have a GLXR 3.2l diesel auto with the 09 update (super select 4wd - happy about that). At the moment I haven't done much to it so its probably not worth posting any pics yet. To date its got an ARB Sahara bar on it and I have had the winch (Premier 9000) from my old vehicle put on. I used to have a GU Patrol and am trying to get as much stuff from that put on the Triton so there's a few things to do to keep me occupied.
I also had an ARB tub liner put in but am already regretting it. I wanted to get some tie-down rails put in at the same time but the ones that ARB sold didn't fit into the grooves of their own tub liner - seems a bit dumb. Still looking for a way I can tie down my fridge (It's a pity the fridge doesn't fit in the tray with the hard tonneau on even though its only a 39l Engel). If anyone's got any ideas on tie downs it'd be great to hear from you.

The Sahara bar/winch combo has dropped the front end down quite a lot so a new suspension is very high on my list. I have read quite a lot in the forums about problems with shudder when a lift is put into Tritons and am wondering what the latest developments are here - there is a lot of info to get through but I am trying. Some posts seem to indicate that the auto doesn't have the same problem but others seem to be saying there still is a bit of a problem.
My Patrol used to have an ARB Old Man Emu suspension and I was really happy with the lift that gave me and the improved on road/off road ride however I am a bit cautious about the ARB suspension for the Triton as it doesn't seem to offer too much in the way of a lift and given the drop I'm already suffering I don't even know if it would bring it back to standard height.
Before that I had a Challenger with an Ironman suspension which was ok but the shockers were too small and didn't cope with long periods of travel over corrugated roads (and we do quite a bit of outback touring).

I also have a great set of wheels/tyres from the Patrol running BFG ATs (285s) that I was going to see if they would fit for offroad use but standing them next to the Triton there looks like there is no chance whatsoever of getting them on the front (they would look awesome though) so am interested in hearing what tyres people are using. I have started reading the threads and it looks like I am going to have to turf the 17inch rims, which I was going to do anyway.

One other question I have is for those running long range tanks that have the multi-function display - could you do anything to reset the unit to correctly calculate the average fuel use? I should probably post these questions in the technical forum but I figured doing it in my intro would give me something to say - not sure if I have broke any rules but I hope not.

Cheers,
Jerry
jerry

Re: new triton owner - wondering what to do next

Postby Buzzy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Welcome to the site Jerry.
Thats a hell of a first post there, Im sure we can help you out.
I will start with......
First off get your pics up, doesnt matter how modified it is. We still like looking & I would like to see your sahara bar...... hope that didnt sound dirty :o
Also you need a 2" suspenstion lift to fit your 285's under but it can be done OK and there are a few guys on here that have done it, hopefully me soon :twisted: .
Try GLX-RSilver's profile, he is running 33's. And Tuff triton has 35's 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Welcome Jerry....

I haven't heard any issues with an auto shudder from a lift. :D
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:33 pm

jerry wrote:One other question I have is for those running long range tanks that have the multi-function display - could you do anything to reset the unit to correctly calculate the average fuel use? I should probably post these questions in the technical forum but I figured doing it in my intro would give me something to say - not sure if I have broke any rules but I hope not.

Cheers,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Get yourself a ScanGaugeII

With it you can setup your fuel tank size and it calculates all manner or tripcomputer data. You can adjust it to show the correct speed/distance if you have oversize tyres.....the list goes on. Check out the website for more info and do a search on scangauge here on the forum.

Post some pictures.....not too many Tritons on here with Sahara bars!
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby jerry on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks all for your replies. I'd like to get a 2" lift if possible but I guess am a bit apprehensive about it after reading through a few of the posts in the suspension thread. Seems like most of the problems are with the manual transmission so I might get away with it. Definitely needs a lift though as the pictures will show when I get some posted. I'll try and get some time tomorrow.
Once I saw how much the front end dropped I changed the winch cable over to plasma rope to reduce the weight a bit. I chose the sahara bar in the first place so that it didn't have too much weight at the front but I guess with the winch it really makes a big difference.
The scangauge sounds interesting - has any one made any changes to the multi-function display?

Cheers,
Jerry
jerry

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:17 pm

I have a update 2008 auto (with the 17" rims)
I have 265/70/17" tyres but 33" fit with a lift as well, just depends if you kept the old 16" tyres or are talking hypothetically about new rubber and sizes?

I changed out the standard multifunction display, and replaced it with a 6.5" car pc. I run the scanguage as a replacement to all the functions lost from the factory display- works very well, and you can choose all the defaults- its pretty cheep for what it does.

I'm working on different options at the moment to maintain a good ride and also get 2" lift. I'm very happy in articulation and performance offroad, just would like to stop grinding the bash plates and sidesteps so often.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:21 am

jerry wrote:Thanks all for your replies. I'd like to get a 2" lift if possible but I guess am a bit apprehensive about it after reading through a few of the posts in the suspension thread. Seems like most of the problems are with the manual transmission so I might get away with it. Definitely needs a lift though as the pictures will show when I get some posted. I'll try and get some time tomorrow.
Once I saw how much the front end dropped I changed the winch cable over to plasma rope to reduce the weight a bit. I chose the sahara bar in the first place so that it didn't have too much weight at the front but I guess with the winch it really makes a big difference.
The scangauge sounds interesting - has any one made any changes to the multi-function display?

Cheers,
Jerry

Yes mate, I'm waiting on a 2" lift also but am trying to work out the best setup and shocks etc. I've had a bit of advice, but it seems to be making the decision harder not easier lol.
Then Monster comes up with new gear every week and more of my hair falls out.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jerry on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:06 pm

ok - so I have added a few pics in the shed area looking at the sahara bar. There's not much else to look at at the moment as It's pretty standard.

4wd26 wrote "I changed out the standard multifunction display, and replaced it with a 6.5" car pc. I run the scanguage as a replacement to all the functions lost from the factory display- works very well, and you can choose all the defaults- its pretty cheep for what it does."

I had a look at the photo and it looks like a great setup. I am not sure how I go about it though as the stereo does all its displays through the multi-function display too.

Cheers,
Jerry.
jerry

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:01 am

I've got a LRFT installed, all it means is the trip computer & fuel gauge stays stuck on the maximum range untill the tank is half empty, then the fuel gauge and trip computer work as normal. When the fuel light comes on, I know I've got 20 litres left in the tank.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby jerry on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks Jitsukablue - what does that do with the average fuel consumption calculation?

Cheers,
Jerry
jerry

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:54 am

NP. Doesn't seem to change it. I don't think the calculation relies on the size of the fuel tank or the readout from the fuel gauge.

I think it uses the amount of fuel consumed vs distance traveled, which it must get from the fuel rail/injectors. Be interesed if anyone else knows any better. If you reset the l/100km, you get instantanious fuel consumption at your current road speed, which is then continuously averaged from the reset point. My average fuel consumption is out as a result of the larger tyres, reads 8% too much consumption.

Those with a scanguage would be in a position to hunt down the data that is used for that calc.

Bottom line is when the fuel light comes on I know I have at least 200km. I might push that one day when I've got the Jerry can onboard...
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby jerry on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks Jitsukablue.

Cheers,
Jerry
jerry

Return to Introductions