Introduction - New Triton Owner as of yesterday!

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Introduction - New Triton Owner as of yesterday!

Postby Choady on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:57 am

G'day All,

Firstly I just want to say what a great forum. I get fantastic vibes from all the people here as Ive cruised the pages over the last month or so, and there is an amazing amount of frank, honest and upfront gouge here. The site is truly amazing. :D Like all of us - I have a bit of a story to tell. ;)

Ive been absolutely hanging out to buy a Triton for the last year - impatiently waiting for my current novated lease to finish up which it does in 16 days time. Its been 12yrs too long since I last owned a 4WD, and after test driving all the new batch of modern dual cabs nearly a year ago - the time has come to own one again. I've had my heart set on a gunmetal grey VR with factory diff lock so I could get a Sahara bar and a canopy fitted without having all the left overs - no point in paying for something your going to rip off a week after delivery right? I figured that if I could save 2-3k compared to a GLX-R, then an extra grand or two would cover my costs there.

When the end of year run out sale - ($37,990 + ORC) for a manual turbo diesel GLX-R came on the box recently I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. With this deal, I certainly wouldnt expect much change out of $40k on a GLX-R with metallic paint drive away, so I then thought about getting the pre canopy prep which would offset the cost of the difflock and also just leave me with the nudge bar spare. Anyway, Ive been in the "Im ready to buy now, no trade, no finance required" mode for several weeks dealing with four seperate stealers, plus having a pit bull car broker on the prowl for me too. Game on - and this is where it gets interesting. You see - I was going to try for the "give me a VR for 2-3k less" approach on this run out deal which was advertised only for the GLX-R.

After the intial round of 'discounted drive away prices' were provided for the GLX-R, I started asking about VR pricing telling them about my need for a canopy and bullbar. Interestingly, all of them said that the VR would only be marginally cheaper as the big factory to dealer rebates were only for the GLX-R as this was the car that they had plenty of in stock and need to move. So I started inquiring about the 'pre canopy prep' with factory diff lock on a GLX-R. They all started checking their stock computers, and surprisingly, there were only two GLX-Rs in the whole country (interstate) with both these options and they were Silver in colour. Silver and platoon are the two colors I dont like - I had my heart set on gunmetal & now having seen a few black ones in the dealerships - black was also warming up to me real fast. I also never realised that the pre canopy prep was an option that had to be taken on the factory production line only- not just taken off by the dealer.

So now Im in a dilemma. Im being told the VR is only marginally cheaper ($500 or so less) than the GLX-R and Im going to end up with the 'extra bits' because none of the dealers wanted a sports bar or hard lid either. One did in the end offer to 'buy them off me' for $750 as he had a grey MY08 VR on the lot. Bugger it I thought, Im certainly getting more than $500 value for the 'claimed' difference in GLX-R vs VR price (17" wheels alone cost more), and who knows - maybe someone will give me a few hundred for those extra bits. I then asked to check to see if a grey GLX-R with diff lock was available - surely theres got to be a grey GLX-R with diff locker in the country somewhere !?!?!. He came back he said 'no - there are no grey GLX-R's with difflock anywherein the country.' He was surprised, and I was shocked. I asked about black - same deal - None with factory diff lock in the country. I asked about any other colour. Except for (you guessed it) platoon or silver, there were no manual GLX-R with diff lock in the country :o :shock: Believe it or not - same for the VR. :cry: Its all you guys fault on this forum - you've snapped them all up and left the cupboard bare :)

Initially I didn't believe the dealer - thinking that he was trying to steer my purchase to another colour or something, but after hearing it from 4 separate dealers over a few days - Im convinced that it is true. So then I thought - oh well - how long can it take to order one in? (remembering some of the horror stories Ive read here about guys waiting for ages). They all said the standard 2-3 months cause its gotta be built, shipped blah blah blah. But none of them would guarantee me that if I sign up now, that the current negotiated contract price will be fixed for my delivery. They all said that they expect a price rise sometime in the new year (due the aussie dollar), and more importantly - none of them knew if the big rebates would continue into the new year. You see - mitsu are only paying them the big rebates for contracts finalised up to the end of 2008. For that reason alone I wasnt prepared to risk it.

What happened next is even more freaky. At this point (Monday morning) they were all around just under $40k drive away for a manual GLX-R (no diff lock!!) in black or grey. I'd recently found a white MY09 GLX-R from a country dealer advertised on newcarsales.com for $36,990 driveaway internet special for ABN holders (must be delivered by 31 Dec 08). It was new with 50km on the clock. I printed this off and took it in to play hard ball. None of the dealers would match it intially, saying that 'he must have negotiated an extra rebate from the factory on it or something.' They all knew they had to close the deal with me quick to guarantee their rebate (its was 29 Dec), and they knew I was ready to sign (I'd shown them 10 x green colored drinking vouchers poking out the top of my wallet for a 1k cash deposit). But, being the stubborn bastards they are, they said go buy it then. So I got up shook hands and walked out the door. I only had to do this to two of them and they were crawling over themselves and calling me up 'what do we need to do to close the deal'.

After a lot more checking on stock computers and 'not so friendly negotiations' - I signed a contract yesterday for a MY 09 Black VR manual turbo Diesel for $34,000 driveaway :D 8-) :lol: :shock: :) :lol: No diff lock :cry:

Sorry for war and peace - but Im just a littleexcited about it all. Im looking forward to now spending all the extra cash on an ARB Sahara Bar and Rear step tow bar + Flexisports canopy with some new rubber too !! Will book it all in tommorrow. Am picking up the car next Tuesday !

Now all I got to do is decide on the 265/75 R16 tyres Im going to get................and whether to colour code the Sahara bar in black, or save the $220 colour code cost leaving it in millenium grey (matches flares) and put it towards a UHF radio......
Choady

Re: Introduction - New Triton Owner as of yesterday!

Postby Blue on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:56 am

Welcome aboard Choady...

Quite a read but I'm glad you got close to what you wanted at a great price...

Can I suggest, if you're set on a Sahara bar to look at Ironman bars, look as good (IMO) and a hell of a lot cheaper and pretty popular around here...

Now the only thing left for you to do once you take delivery is to go play with Silver and drown it... :lol:
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:41 am

Welcome mate - quite a read and congratulations.

It is surprising how many deals can be done at the end of the month after walking out the door. Phone: ring-ring "What can I do to make the deal". "I told you when I was looking at you IDIOT!"

Anyway - good luck with the rig and happy camping as they say!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:35 am

I'm not surprised about the diff lock, its a factory option. If the dealers have one on the lot, we will negotiate to have it for free, so there are very few with the diff lock just sitting around. Wouldn't be surprised if the couple that are around were ordered in and then got cold feet. Same case for the Pajeros with the diff lock.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Choady on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:15 am

Blue wrote:Welcome aboard Choady...

Can I suggest, if you're set on a Sahara bar to look at Ironman bars, look as good (IMO) and a hell of a lot cheaper and pretty popular around here...
Now the only thing left for you to do once you take delivery is to go play with Silver and drown it... :lol:

Thanks for the reply. Roughly how much are they worth to get an Ironman fitted ? Is colour coding an option?
Choady

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:33 am

Oh yes, it sounds like the dealers are in danger of not meeting their quotas... tis a good time to buy then. Nice job Choady. I went with 235/85 replacement rubber for the 16" rims. The 17" rims have fewer available options apparently... Never mind about the rear diff lock, the stock LSD is very good. The stock GLX-R has taken me to, and beyond (!) my driving limits off road, at no point has it let me down, only the other way around!
Is the '09 VR super select or easy select?
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Choady on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:24 pm

The Brochure and online spec sheet says the VR, GLX-R and GLS are all super select.

I intend on getting 265/75 R16 tyres (not sure on brand yet) a canopy, ute liner, ARB bull bar and rear step immediately. The lads at ARB emailed me and said that the rear step comes 'standard in semi gloss black powdercoat.' Im just trying to work out if that will match the black or if I need to get it colour coded ? Ive also been tossing up whether to leave the Sahara bar standard in Millenium Grey, but I reckon Id regret not paying the extra $220 to colour code it after. I cant find a picture of a black Triton anywhere with a grey bar - perhaps I just answered my own qestion.

I have a quote for $2500 for a flexiglass 'flexisport' canopy fitted and colour coded. It has both side windows outwards opening, rear demister and lining and racks as standard. Any thoughts ?

Finally - I also know nothing about the ute liners. Im thinking a moulded under lip one - but brand ? I have no idea what is a decent price to pay and I dont mind paying for quality either. Tie down points are something Im trying to get a handle on too. What options are there?

Sorry for 20 questions, but you all seem real friendly in your discussions with others, and Im hoping for guidance by the wise !
Choady

Postby Blue on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Choady wrote:
Blue wrote:Welcome aboard Choady...

Thanks for the reply. Roughly how much are they worth to get an Ironman fitted ? Is colour coding an option?

It was under $1k fitted predelivery and comes standard with fog lights - a little better than $2k fitted for the ARB + $500 for the fog lights...

This is mine, it's the standard grey colour, not sure if colour coding is an option...

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:37 pm

All the cool Triton owners have Ironman bullbars :P :P
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Wallace on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:15 pm

All the cool Triton owners have Ironman bullbars

Welcome aboard good to hear you have joined the allegance of the" MEN IN BLACK "
Hey Subi I would graciously suggest that you have left yourself a bit open with this one :D :D
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Choady on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 pm

Blue wrote:It was under $1k fitted predelivery and comes standard with fog lights - a little better than $2k fitted for the ARB + $500 for the fog lights...

This is mine, it's the standard grey colour, not sure if colour coding is an option...

The Ironman bar does look great though. Does it come with all the standard features - light, and antennae mounts, Airbag compatible, lifting points etc ? It looks very similar to the ARB bar thats for sure ! And theres nothing wrong with that .... If it comes with similar features and you can colour code I will have to look into it.

If I get the Sahara bar, Rear step, snorkel and Ute liner - then the lads at ARB will throw in an ARB compressor with tyre kit fitted for free.....works out to be like a 10% discount.
Choady

Postby jop on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 pm

subi_man wrote:All the cool Triton owners have Ironman bullbars :P :P

Too right ;)

What's wrong with platoon? - it's a great movie :lol: :lol:
jop

Postby Blue on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:59 pm

Choady wrote:
Blue wrote:It was under $1k fitted predelivery and comes standard with fog lights - a little better than $2k fitted for the ARB + $500 for the fog lights...

The Ironman bar does look great though. Does it come with all the standard features - light, and antennae mounts, Airbag compatible, lifting points etc ? It looks very similar to the ARB bar thats for sure ! And theres nothing wrong with that .... If it comes with similar features and you can colour code I will have to look into it.

If I get the Sahara bar, Rear step, snorkel and Ute liner - then the lads at ARB will throw in an ARB compressor with tyre kit fitted for free.....works out to be like a 10% discount.

Has a single antenna mount (fine for me, I only use uhf anyway), pre-drilled spotty mounts, highlift jack points and yes, airbag compatible... If you save $1k on the bar, it kinda nullifies the 10%(compressor) discount - there's $1k head start on suspension or a set of offroad wheels and tyres...
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey Guys,

Its new years eve and after a quick beer or 10, I thought I'd check on the forum :D Thanks heaps for all your replies and inputs. Im chuffed about this forum - over a dozen reply posts to my war and peace saga in 24hrs.

To Jop - sorry mate - I hope I didnt offend you about my loose liped typing regarding Platoon colour. Yes your right it is a great movie :oops: Any gouge you guys have got about ute liners would be great. Maybe I'll start a new post (after doing a search !)

You all have a great new years. All Santa brang me for christmas was a hangover, and looks like I'll have one tommorrow too........Maybe my new years resolution will be to stop drinking......

Cant wait for the truck to arrive. Your all champs.
Choady

Postby Wallace on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:05 pm

Maybe my new years resolution will be to stop drinking......

I don't think so, after all we all have to look after the brothers at the breweries................ :D :lol: :D
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Homer on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Hey mate, in regards to the liner, I got great service, price and advice from Stuart at Heritage ute gear http://www.heritagegear.com.au - he'll probably remember Garry from Bris as I was the first overlip liner he sold.

I went for the overlip liner as I have found half the damage happens to the top of the tub (when shovelling, carrying longth lengths of steel etc) as the tub is so short, everything sits on the top lip and hangs out the back - and bounces. Probably makes a difference if you are getting a canopy etc, but I recomend giving Stuart a call to at least get a starting point - he was very experienced and also the cheapest including freight to Brisbane and he didn't mind my 20 silly questions at all.

It is easy to fit the overlip liner yourself - he sends everything including the protection tape and rubber to go underneath. There are no holes to drill in the body or anything - except to rivet your sports bar brackets in place (see explanation following).

I didn't check if yours was GLXR with the sports bar, but if it is, be careful when you remove the front bar mount bolts as the plate behind it that the bolt goes through will drop off and go straight down a hole conveniently positioned underneath it and will stay forever in your chasis - they also aren't a spare part????? and will take luck to source a new one if this happens - you will know when it happens, as after fitting the liner :D and starting to bolt the bar on you will hear a soft "tinkle" and that is when you find out the araldite didn't work :(

The best - and only solution after trying various non invasive glueing techniques to hold these plates in place - is to bolt the bolts and bracket up tight, then drill and rivet them in place (one rivet per plate) - takes about 5 mins and I would suggest you do this right from the word go as you will have to do it later anyway. Just any small rivet you may have gotten with the gun. (I spent 3 days fitting my liner because the last thing you do is bolt up the bar - and thats when you find out the araldite/silicon/liquid nails doesn't hold it. You then take out the liner and start again).
After riveting (and a squirt of paint/primer to cover any exposed metal) you can remove the bolts at anytime and the plate stays where it should have been secured to in the first place. This is a necessary step or you just wont be able to refitt the sports bar after fitting the liner.

Total fitting time was about one hour - 15 minutes the fourth time round :roll:

If you don't have the bar then forgive my ramble :)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Sorry mate just re-read your post :oops: - you got the VR so no sports bar. Disregard my ramble! LOL

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Choady on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Homer wrote:Sorry mate just re-read your post :oops: - you got the VR so no sports bar. Disregard my ramble! LOL

No worries Homer - ramble disregarded ! It was certainly no worse than my rambling 1st post anyway......

thanks for the contact and website. Will be sure to look into it.
Choady

Postby jop on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Don't worry mate, platoon wasn't my first choice either - but i got a great price (and trade in) and it was mine within a week with ironman bar, tyres, spray on liner and the rest, with diff lock 8-)

I'm doing my best to scratch it all off :cry: :cry: :cry:
jop

Postby Choady on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 am

jop wrote:Don't worry mate, platoon wasn't my first choice either - but i got a great price (and trade in) and it was mine within a week with ironman bar, tyres, spray on liner and the rest, with diff lock 8-)

I'm doing my best to scratch it all off :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know what you mean - I seriously considered getting other colours just cause of the diff lock - but silver is just not bag ;)
Choady

Postby jerry on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:36 am

Hi Choady,
I can certainly relate to your experience with the dealers. I wanted a gunmetal grey glx-r diesel auto with diff lock and got the same stories. I started talking seriously with dealers in about June 08, I'm in SA and wanted the my08 update that I'd heard about. Eventually they found a silver one in Qld so I settled for that but once they started arranging shipping etc they realised it was the 07 model and luckily asked me if I still wanted it. I said no and that I would wait for the right one to come along. It had to be put on order so along came the 3 month wait as the diff-lock option apparently doesn't have such a huge demand (especially when you combine it with grey and the auto). During all this time the 09 update was announced so since it was a 'special' order by the time they got round to building it they were doing the 09 update model. Ultimately I was really happy as I wasn't in a hurry and now have the option that I wanted along with the super-select which is great (took over five months in the end).

Anyway, onto your accessories. I have a colour coded sahara bar and am happy with it. There should be a couple of photos in my profile of it. I have also had an Ironman bullbar on another 4wd and was more than happy with that too. I don't think you can go wrong with either when it comes to quality.

I have an ARB tub liner and even though its only just gone in I want to get rid of it. It's virtually wrecked the seals on the tray-back. Every time I close it a bit more damage happens. Also, I wanted tiedowns put in and as part of my order with ARB asked for some tiedown rails installed at the same time. Well the ARB ones don't even fit their own tubliners (too wide for the grooves). They only discovered this once they had installed the liner (and that means screwing in the part on the tray back) so it was too late to uninstall.
I am stuck now looking for a good tie-down solution.
I have seen ads for Ironman tubliners that have tiedown options available with them that look pretty good. I was originally going to go for that but couldn't find a dealer near me. I wish I hadn't been so impatient now.

Cheers,
Jerry
jerry

Postby Choady on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:07 pm

jerry wrote: Ultimately I was really happy as I wasn't in a hurry and now have the option that I wanted along with the super-select which is great (took over five months in the end).

I have seen ads for Ironman tubliners that have tiedown options available with them that look pretty good. I was originally going to go for that but couldn't find a dealer near me. I wish I hadn't been so impatient now.

Cheers,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Im so glad I didn't place an order then for one with a diff lock! I cant afford to wait 5 months. :shock: :shock: Im Picking mine up on Tuesday and cant wait. Am also looking forward to the Sahara bar. I reckon they look he best out of all the bull bar options available. I sitll remember the first time I saw that ARB photo of the silver Hilux on top of the red dunes with the tent on top. That photo was what got me so interested in Dual Cabs in the first place and it too had a Sahara bar.

Im thinking of going with a ute liner from Heritagegear (called the TUFF liner). He does them for $385, but they no longer have tie down points either (even thought the website says they do - apparantly they only get fitted to standard stock points anyway). So Im in the same boat as you. I might sit on my hands a bit too and keep looking. Will definately check out the ironman one.
Choady

Postby Homer on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:18 am

Choady wrote:
jerry wrote: Ultimately I was really happy as I wasn't in a hurry and now have the option that I wanted along with the super-select which is great (took over five months in the end).

Cheers,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Im so glad I didn't place an order then for one with a diff lock! I cant afford to wait 5 months. :shock: :shock: Im Picking mine up on Tuesday and cant wait. Am also looking forward to the Sahara bar. I reckon they look he best out of all the bull bar options available. I sitll remember the first time I saw that ARB photo of the silver Hilux on top of the red dunes with the tent on top. That photo was what got me so interested in Dual Cabs in the first place and it too had a Sahara bar.

Im thinking of going with a ute liner from Heritagegear (called the TUFF liner). He does them for $385, but they no longer have tie down points either (even thought the website says they do - apparantly they only get fitted to standard stock points anyway). So Im in the same boat as you. I might sit on my hands a bit too and keep looking. Will definately check out the ironman one.

Hey Choady,

The overlip liner has 4 tie down points. Is there a reason you're going under lip?

If I was thinking underlip, I'd probably go spray on as there's some good ones of them - no where near the tub protection if carrying heavy stuff though.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Choady on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm

G'day Homer,

Only reason Im thinking of the underlip is due to my discussions with the various canopy places. They all reckon you get a better seal with the underlip and Im also very keen for the canopy to be no higher then the dual cab roof. (plus I reckon they look better) I also read about one of the guys horror stories on this forum about a flexiglass canopy sitting so high (and he had an over lip) and thats likely the canopy Im going for (got a good deal happening on their top of the range fexisports model).

Oh - and the dude from heritage also mentioned that the TUFF brand fits more snug in the Triton tub where the other one is quite fiddly and often needs trimming to fit well. Theres like only $20 difference between the two.

Im keen on finding something aftermarket that gives me options for tie downs but. I really liked the idea of the ARB one with the 'strip' you can mount on floor and sides. You can fit your relocatable tie downs anywhere along it- so I will have to check it out a little more. The last ute I had only had 4 tie downs and it gave me the shits cause unless your restraining quite large items their useless.
Choady

Postby Homer on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:42 am

Hey Choady, certainly makes sense if you're going for a canopy.

I saw the tie downs you're talking about on a thread on here - they look really good. I don't know there load limits (that was my only question on them). From memory it was fitted to a Hilux, and I think Blue was talking to him about it. Might be worth a PM?

Cheers mate

Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Introductions