New Triton - picking up in 2 hours

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New Triton - picking up in 2 hours

Postby ratpack on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:48 am

Hey Guys,

Been lurking around this forum for the last couple of weeks, but will finally today pickup my new GLX-R T/Diesel Manual Triton in Cyber Blue. Making use of the '08 Clearance sale, so managed to get it for $40k on the road, with tow bar thrown in, which I thought was OK.

Own a Tyre Store, so am going to get a supplier to chuck some 22in rims at it for week day use, keep the 17's for when towing the rally cars.

Also calling in all sorts of favours from mates in the trade, tray liner for cost, Unifilter air filter etc.

Can't wait - first ever new car:)

G
Currently in the shed:-
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III 1995
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 1997
Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2001
Mitsubishi Triton 1993
JUST ADDED - Mitsubishi Triton GLX-R 2008
ratpack

Re: New Triton - picking up in 2 hours

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 pm

Welcome G,

"Own a Tyre Store", you have got be careful disclosing such info as you may end up with 100 or so Triton's knocking on your door for deals.

I noticed that you have not mentioned your location yet :) good move :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:10 pm

:lol: :lol: Knock, knock!......Welcome to the forum G!

Make sure you check out all the Hotline fixes etc, just in case....ya never know!

Oh by the way, I'll take 5 x Cooper Discovere S/T's in 265/70/17 please!! :lol: :lol:
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby ratpack on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Meh, Cooper's, too many product recalls for my liking...
Mitsubishi Triton 1993
ratpack

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:57 pm

What's that you say, 265/75R16 BFG's for $100 a corner... Lets go boys - crap, I don't know where we're going... :(

Welcome aboard ratpack :mrgreen:
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ratpack on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Happy to sell anybody tyres, but keep in mind - just spent 40k on a new vehicle, and the money to pay for it has to come from somewhere.... ;)
Mitsubishi Triton 1993
ratpack

Postby spargo on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 pm

whereabouts are you located ratpack?? - apologies if i missed it..

i'd be keen to seek some quotes from you depending on location.
spargo

Postby Adz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:53 pm

ratpack wrote:Meh, Cooper's, too many product recalls for my liking...

Even the discoverer S/T's ratpack? What would you recommend Mr Tyre person! :lol: :lol: ;)
Adz

Postby ratpack on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Quick rundown of Tyres from a reseller prespective

Cooper's - Really well marketed, but seem to suffer far too many product recalls for what should be a half decent tyre, pick of bunch would be STT, in WA exclusive to Tyrepower, so no open market competition on pricing - price will suffer badly from USD/AUD value drop (but so will most brands to some extent)

BFG - Great reputation, now suffering from being Michelin's other brand, quality varies too much, hasn't really developed for quite a few years.

Bridgestone - A/T tyres consistent quality (Japanese made preferably), H/T OE tyres are ok, but a just that, OE D840 on Triton relatively old pattern, new options (in 17in) should start filtering through soon. D694/693 is their best effort.

Yokohama - Highest selling H/T tyre at the moment, A/T starting to get a good following, again Japanese made so quality very consistent, only 4WD tyre on the market with replacement hazard warranty for first 25% tread wear. Silica compound in rubber for better wet grip,

Mickey T - brought in by same people as Cooper in QLD,and made in same factory in US, don't seem to suffer from quality inconsistency as Cooper (don't know why), durabilty guarantee (conditional as usual), ATZ or MTZ patterns would be my choice, again not widespread availability so pricing competitiveness suffers

Procomp - only recently went open market, another US import, only really used their A/T on a couple of big F250s, no problems so far. Xtreme tyres look interesting, stay tuned

Maxxis - passenger tyres - mostly avoid, production moved from Taiwan to Thailand,- 4WD, actually not to bad, good for oddball sizing and fitments in extreme patterns, pricing (before recent hikes) is not too hard on the hip pocket

Hankook/Kumho - Good middle-of-the-road tyres, good H/T, A/T still not quite there (though Hankook do have a new tyre, the ATm, that keeps getting delayed that looks good (despite what ATm can stand for...), MT are pretty good, Kumho's is directional tyre, just needs more sizes available

Toyo - not interested in becoming a big market player, so tend to get lost in the wash, but Open Country AT is a decent effort, MT seems to be a Goodyear copy.

Goodyear / Dunlop - another safe choice, nothing outstanding, and suffering from being dropped by most retailers (apart from Beau (they have no choice) and Kmart). Goodyear Mt/R, nothing else really stands out, and you can't beat Dunlops Super Gripper in the old 7.50R16 for the Landcruiser.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want a tyre to do, there is no 1 tyre that will do everything that your vehicle is capable of. So apart from carrying 3 different sets of wheels & tyres in the tray, do your research, pick carefully, read these sort of forums, and don't expect great road manners or tyre life if you insist on using Muddies on the tarmac all the time.

G
Mitsubishi Triton 1993
ratpack

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks for the tyre rundown, thats great.

BUT how was the drive home in the Triton?????
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby ratpack on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 pm

I took the long way home, reckon need to pump tyres up a bit more, steering washes out too much mid corner, but great flexible engine (now with 33kms on it), just need to tune the radio, set the bluetooth, and fiddle with all the buttons :lol:
Mitsubishi Triton 1993
ratpack

Postby jop on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:04 pm

A good set of shocks transforms the handling, especially in the rear.
jop

Postby daryn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:02 am

ratpack, you done well really well with your write up, thanks heaps, I am sure Adz will appreciate this too. :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 am

:shock: :shock: My brain hurts! :lol:

Thanks so much ratpack....daryn was right, muchly appreciated :D ....my way of thinking has changed now :roll: so many choices, so little money! :lol:

Looks like the Mickey T's ATZ's are my choice.
Adz

Postby Greedy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 am

jop wrote:A good set of shocks transforms the handling, especially in the rear.

I second this thought. The stock shocks are crap. Mine died so MItsi's replaced them. As I'd already changed the suspension, they gave me the shocks in the boxes. Brand new and still ratshit. An entirely different car with manners once the shocks are replaced.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:49 pm

What shocks did you fit greedy - and did you do all four, or just rear ?? Did they change the ride height at all ? (ie less sag etc)

Cost ?
Choady

Postby daryn on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 am

Choady,

Shocks won't alter ride height/sag at all but instead have control of either the spring leafs or coils via the rebound and compression, or how fast or slow the spring compresses and rebounds back to normal position, if you alter your suspension height by changing the springs you will of course most probably need to put longer shocks in and better performing shocks.

There is more to do with shocks than what I have said of course but just keeping it easy to understand which is what I like anyway. I have been doing heaps of research on this at the moment and what I concluded through majority votes is the following:

Koni- best shocks, like the God of shocks.
Bilstein -the jesus of shocks
Tough Dog - The best Australian made shock also have adjustable models with 9 settings for altering ride from soft to hard.
Rancho - This is who Tough Dog copied
Old Man Emu - supposedly the only shock that has been specifically valved to suit each vehicle, not a one shock suits many vehicle hock

Then there is everyone else and you can just throw a handful of coins in the air, if I go with Lovells springs all round I will probably choose bilstein or tough dog shocks, if I go with Ultimate suspension I may just use their Aussie Ryder shock because they should be a match with spring rates. Expect to pay from $200 to high $300's for good shocks.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:13 am

Choady wrote:What shocks did you fit greedy - and did you do all four, or just rear ?? Did they change the ride height at all ? (ie less sag etc)

Cost ?

I went the Dobinsons kit with lift. $1400 delivered with tailshaft spacer, castor wedges and excellent service by Martin in Sydney. Fitted it myself. As Daryn said, the lift comes from the springs, not the shocks.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby YogiOz on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:53 am

Must admit I like the idea of the new Bridgestone A/Ts!
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby Choady on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Greedy - do you have any shudder problems with the tailshaft spacer ? And how much actual lift did you get in the end ?
Choady

Postby Greedy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 pm

I ended up with shudder through 0-15kph either in first or second (if you take off quick, it'll happens to around 15kph, slow, probably 10kph) . I haven't lifted the transfer case/gearbox yet. There is apparently 5mm steel that will fit under to reduce shudder, so am keen to try once I get off my lazy a^&e. Honestly, I couldn't give a rats a#$e about the shudder at the moment. Unfortunately, most of my driving is done in the city however, the shudder doesn't really affect me. Lift gained was as advised by Martin in Sydney. 45MM front although managed 60 in the rear. Overall, a very driveable car that happens to be a 4WD.
I couldn't ask for more. :)
The tailshaft spacer will only help your problems. IMO the tailshaft is too short for the job they're asking it to do. http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1680&p=24834&hilit=tailshaft+spacer#p23906 The centre bearing is a point of weakness as well. We need a one piece tailshaft for manuals as well. A group buy maybe if someone is keen to find a supplier. ;) 8-)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks Greedy - and how does it go with respect to leagility and engineering etc ? Do you need to get it engineered , or do they provide you with some kind of paperwork ? Ive never done a lift before and just considering insurance and the coppers etc.
Choady

Return to Introductions