Is this the right decision

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Is this the right decision

Postby Grumpybear on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a Triton Dual Cab Diesel Auto VR or GLX-R ($$$ Dependant)

Any advice would be well received.

I will be kitting it out with Ironman Suspension Products i.e. Winch Bullbar, Winch, (Snorkel which they will be doing soon), Fitting a set of Lightforce 170 strikers, and a UHF.

I want to get rid of the body and get a Tray so if anyone has a pic of a Dual Cab with a tray, if its not too much trouble to email to atinham@acp.com.au I would much appreciate it.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Pain is just weakness leaving the body
Grumpybear

Re: Is this the right decision

Postby Buzzy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 am

Welcome mate,
Spargo has an aluminium tray but he doesnt have and pics of it in his profile.
Send him a pm he maybe able to help you out ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Grumpybear on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks Mate,

Appreciate your help

Buzzy wrote:Welcome mate,
Spargo has an aluminium tray but he doesnt have and pics of it in his profile.
Send him a pm he maybe able to help you out ;)
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby daryn on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:44 am

09 models have Super Select ie. All wheel drive for on road safety, great for in the wet.

08 models don't. Still 08 models around at good prices though. I went 09.

Triton is the only dual cab in the country which has this feature.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Grumpybear on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:53 am

Cheers Daryn,

I did notice that and that's what is swinging me towards an 09 Model.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby daryn on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:06 pm

No probs, welcome too and it likes like your dog is hanging for a new ride with ya :)

Grumpybear wrote:Cheers Daryn,

I did notice that and that's what is swinging me towards an 09 Model.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Racer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:56 pm

May I ask what you are paying or what you had paid.
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Blue on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Slightly OT - how is all wheel drive going to affect fuel economy...???
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Racer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Blue wrote:Slightly OT - how is all wheel drive going to affect fuel economy...???

It isn't a constant 4WD system....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Choady on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 pm

daryn wrote:09 models have Super Select ie. All wheel drive for on road safety, great for in the wet.

08 models don't. Still 08 models around at good prices though. I went 09.

Triton is the only dual cab in the country which has this feature.

I have a 2008 VR - Build date June 08, Compliance date Sep 08 and it has super select (but its a manual). It is a MY09.

I bought the VR over a GLX-R cause I wanted a canopy and bull bar (amongst other things) and felt the extra cash you pay was a waste seeing as I was going to turf the nudge, sports and hard cover straight away. You cant get much for them $300-500 max. You can order a new one with pre-canopy prep which deletes the hard cover and sports bar for $750 off the price if you order a new GLX-R from factory but expect 3-6 month wait.

A VR has 16" alloys (vs 17" on GLX-R), and you dont get the fog lights, nudge bar, sports bar, or hard tonnaeu cover. You also dont get the sports pedals, leather trim steering wheel or gear shift knobs, you miss out on a couple of speakers for the radio and no bluetooth or "GLX-R" floor mats. 16" rims have cheaper tyres vs 17" with more tyre sizes to choose from. i got fog lights in the bull bar. I bought a GLX-R indicator lever from the wreckers ($70) so I can use the factory fog light switch to turn them on/off. The pedals, leather trim, speakers and bluetooth are not things I care for and I got a set of perfect fitting factory rubber floor mats front and back (which look great and work well) for under $70 from mitsu spare parts. I have seen photos of some VRs with the GLX ute tray, but mine is the GLXR tray.

Best part is you can save 2-4k on a VR over a GLX-R which means more money to spend on tyres and other toys. I picked up mine $34,000 brand new drive away and did the deal in the last few days of Dec 08, with delivery end of first week of Jan 09. You should still be able to get bloody good deals at the moment as the dealers are all hurting for business. Just shop around and demand a good deal. (also had ABN) If you can get one in the colour you want with a rear diff lock - it is the way to go for an extra $500 - but they are like hens teeth at moment. When i looked there were only two GLX-R in country with diff lock - both in silver. There were no VRs with diff lock.

Good luck with the shopping. You will not be disappointed. I certainly am not. :D :D
Choady

Postby Greedy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Choady wrote:they are like hens teeth at moment.

They always have been :twisted: I would have jumped at the chance of a difflock. Nothing for little old Adelaide though. A 4 month wait didn't excite me.

Choady wrote:bought the VR over a GLX-R cause I wanted a canopy and bull bar (amongst other things) and felt the extra cash you pay was a waste seeing as I was going to turf the nudge, sports and hard cover straight away. You cant get much for them $300-500 max. You can order a new one with pre-canopy prep which deletes the hard cover and sports bar for $750 off the price if you order a new GLX-R from factory but expect 3-6 month wait.

My reasoning exactly. ;) Go the VR??? Are Bluetooth and GLX-R embroidered floor mats that important. (features offered since purchase of my vehichle (04/08) may have changed. I take no responsibilty for this) ;) 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Racer on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:28 am

Choady wrote: I picked up mine $34,000 brand new drive away and did the deal in the last few days of Dec 08, with delivery end of first week of Jan 09. You should still be able to get bloody good deals at the moment as the dealers are all hurting for business. Just shop around and demand a good deal.

Quite true mate, I have made a deal with a MY09 DID Man GLX-R with Towbar and Ute Liner for 37500 driveaway...it is a lot of truck for that price...
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Choady on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:24 am

Very nice deal. I had a dealer in Singleton offering me $36,990 drive away with towbar only GLX-R Manual in black or grey. You should get him to take $750 off the price and say you dont want the towbar. Put it towards an ARB rear step tow bar..........better clearance than factory one and offers protection...... thats what i i ended up doing ;)
Choady

Postby Grumpybear on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks All,

Armed with slicing wit I will do a deal with some poor unsuspecting sales person and with the intended 43 deg heat on offer i'm sure a little bit of forcourt boxing action will be just enough to sweat a deal out.

I'm either going for Platoon or Gunmetal, will definately want the Diff Lock and am prepared to wait unless an outstanding offer to upgrade to a GLX-R comes up. Only thing is I don't need some of the bells and whistles it has over the VR.

Mud on leather is worse than Mud on vinal or moulded plastic!

I have already spent the 1/2 million i dont have on an Ironman 4x4 Black Winch Bar & Winch, hopefully a 6 x 5 Fleet Trades tray depending if the Mitsa can cope (any thoughts??), BF Goodrich A/T KO's.

Thankfully, I already have the Piranha dual battery kit (Just ned a new battery), Lightforce 170 Striker driving lights,TX series UHF and arial, Electric brake unit and all the Wiring harnesses required for said items.

Will post pics as soon as the new unit is in the drive.

and the dog is anxious tio get a ride especially after yesterdays announcement we have an opening season. If your like minded be safe out there and have a great couple of months.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby Grumpybear on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 am

As little as possible within reason but more than happy to post once the deal is done.
Racer wrote:May I ask what you are paying or what you had paid.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby Choady on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Gumpy - be careful with the price thats agreed if you have to wait for delivery cause you want a rear diff lock VR in a specific colour. The dodgy dealers will give you a great deal, then in three months time tell you there has been a price rise and just pass it on to you. It is written in the contract, and this is a perfectly legal thing they can do. However in this case you have the right to rescind the contract and get your deposit back if the price rises.

The better dealers will explain to you that they only get monthly rebates from the manufacturer. They are not told what rebates they will get the following month until that month starts. Therefore the deal they can give you for this months rebates, they may not in fact be able to pass on in future months - at least they are up front with you. It all depends on the manufacturer - not the dealer. It shits a alot of them off that mitsubishi operate this way - cause people dont like not knowing how much they are going to have to pay.

One dealer did say to me that occaisionally they can get the manufacturer to 'guarantee' the rebate that is on offer when you sign if the car colour or options you want are not available in the country at time of contracts - even if it takes many months for delivery. in this case, he will need to get an email (or similar) from Mitsubishi (ask to see it) before you can be sure that this is the case - otherwise your back to square one.

Also - when I bought mine last month - there were only two diff locked Tritons in the country - both GLX-Rs. I would be keen to know how many (if any) are available at the moment. The good deals are on current 2008 (MY09 and earlier) stock only. som guys on this forum have waited 3-6 months for delivery of their new cars.
Choady

Postby Grumpybear on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks mate. Appreciate the advice. Knowledge is power as they say. Its good to be able to go in armed.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby matt76 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:37 am

Great post Choady. I wouldnt have thought about that one.

so tell me those with diff locks, are they just as good as air lockers?

i imagine with the standard rear lock and a front air locker they would be awesome.
matt76

Postby spargo on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:51 am

hello!

here's the discussion about getting the tray: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1678&p=24064&hilit=spargo+tray#p24064

and in the same thread, here's some shots of it: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1678&p=24064&hilit=spargo+tray#p24659

I've since added a nudge bar, and it's survived a great trip to Fraser is. over new years.

cheers!
spargo

Postby Choady on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 pm

matt76 wrote:so tell me those with diff locks, are they just as good as air lockers?
i imagine with the standard rear lock and a front air locker they would be awesome.

Yep - your right, it would be totally awesome :D

I dont have a standard rear diff lock, but have heard they perform very well. They are electrically operated. ARB do a front diff lock, but a little exy.
Choady

Postby spargo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:35 pm

hey Grumpybear did you check out those photos of the tray??

I can hook you up with the supplier's details - they did a top job.
spargo

Postby sam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Choady wrote:
matt76 wrote:so tell me those with diff locks, are they just as good as air lockers?

Yep - your right, it would be totally awesome :D

I dont have a standard rear diff lock, but have heard they perform very well. They are electrically operated. ARB do a front diff lock, but a little exy.

Rear locker on the ML is air operated not electric ;)
sam

Postby Choady on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 am

sam wrote:Rear locker on the ML is air operated not electric ;)

Ooops.... :oops:

Didn't know that - assumed electric.....Where is the air source taken ?
Last edited by Choady on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choady

Postby Buzzy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:36 am

Compressor up underneath the tray
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Grumpybear on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks mate,

The tray looks fantastic.

I am in process of negotiation at the minute at the tray is included in this.

I have a 6 x 8 fleet trades tray on my current car as am very happy with that. They build them on the chassis so each one is kind of custom and hand built. I like the steel base with the Alum floor and gates plus I have kept the 3" polished bar from my current one that will fit on so it save me $350.oo

Thanks for the offer though and again they did a great job on yours.
spargo wrote:hey Grumpybear did you check out those photos of the tray??

I can hook you up with the supplier's details - they did a top job.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Next

Return to Introductions