Triton. Reliable?

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Triton. Reliable?

Postby ideate on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi, I just joined. I'm thinking about buying a Triton mainly for bike shuttles. Are these cars reliable? I've done a quick search and one of the threads came up with radiator core issues.

Is there anything to look out for when buying second hand? Common issues?

I've been looking at 2010 GL-R Auto 4sp 2.5DT [MY11] for about $14k. Good price?
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split thread & renamed
ideate

Re: Triton. Reliable?

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Hijacking someone else's thread probably isn't a real good start, so I've split this off.

I'd say that radiator core issues are the least of your potential problems, but hang around and do some searching, starting with the Forum Directory where most of the big issues/subjects are listed.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:25 am

i had a mate ask me the same question the other day. Are the Tritons reliable?

Mine has been. mind you i have spent money like alot of others but still had a few failures along the way but im the kind of guy who is comfortable on dirt roads. i get bored traveling the highways and will find longer scenic routes home on average. I dont go extreme rock hopping thats not my thing but i do use it as a 4wd.

To date that is both front wheel bearings, 1 clutch under warranty, 1 turbo under warranty even though there was nothing wrong with it, 3 sets of pads, 2 shoes, 1 clock spring, 1 MMCS (gps CD player), 1 rear centre seatbelt, 1 set of rear shock bushes (destroyed from that squeaky rear end problem and spraying lanolin onto them)

i think that is pretty good for 120,000km with all the extra work from extra stuff bolted on and serviced to the book.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Maxiy on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:39 am

I have had my 2014 GLX+ MN for almost 60k now.

Has been reliable to date, with no issues what so ever. right from day dot i did spend a bit of money on engine mods like EGR blank and a secondary fuel filter. I also get all my log book done by a trusted family mechanic, and i do an oil and oil filter change every 5k, and clean the MAF and air filter every 5k. Fuel filters get done every 15k.

I love my triton, have had no issues with it yet, and it has truly surprised me about where it can get you.

Every manufacturer has its problems, and there is always a friday afternoon Lemon getting around. But if you are asking me if they are reliable. I would say YES
Maxiy

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:54 am

I've got nearly 90k on my 2013. It's modded and gets used on and off road, plus it occasionally tows ~2T of van. The OEM shocks died last year, and the whole suspension was replaced earlier this year with Ultimate.

IMHO the wheel studs are made of cheese, and are easily broken by rattle guns. I replaced them with another OEM set, but am still not happy, so I plan on investing in a set of high-tensile ones.

The clutch has a very rare issue with slipping, but I've made some big demands of it reversing the van up some idiotically steep driveways, so I cant complain. I suspect it will still get past the 100K mark, and I'll replace it with a Safari clutch and a new flywheel.

I use Penrite full synthetic oil, and Ryco filters. The EGR has been out of the picture from new.

It has never let me down in any situation.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 am

Is the MN Triton reliable? In a word yes!
And no if you find one with an engine that has popped.

You're best to read up on the block surface issue with these 4D56 engines. It's well documented in this forum under the service campaign thread. Educate yourself on this issue so you know what to look for and what potential expenses you might be up for in the future. And also ways to make them more reliable. In my opinion it's a very serious problem and one that every MN owner may eventually have to face.

Thousands out there that have big kms and never had the issue at all but realistically they're ALL ticking time bombs.

Having said that they can be a very tough engines that can handle a real HP. They respond well to tuning and can support 200hp very reliably.

The rest of the vehicle has proven itself very reliable over the last 10years but like all vehicles they have their limits.. so keep searching this great forum to find everything you need to know.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Geoff3DMN on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:19 am

I run our family's small business and we've have 4 Tritons over the last 7 years, 2 dual cab 4 wheel drives (diesel) and 2 single cab 2 wheel drives (1 diesel and 1 petrol).

The petrol single cab petrol needed an engine rebuild after a staff member removed the radiator cap and didn't replace it properly (not Mitsubishi's fault but the local dealer did us a good deal on the rebuild).

The single cab diesel is still low kms but no issues so far.

The first dual cab diesel has done 60,000kms including some off roading and the only issue was the standard shocks were pretty much shot by 40,000 so we fitted after market suspension. There is a mild surging problem that only happens when travelling down hill on cruise control (the other one doesn't do it), the dealer has so far been unable to find the cause.

The 2nd dual cab diesel has done 40,000 kms (no off roading) and the stock suspension is still holding up ok.

All in all I'd have to say I've been generally happy with the reliability.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Terror on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:19 pm

JamoGLXR wrote:1 set of rear shock bushes (destroyed from that squeaky rear end problem and spraying lanolin onto them)

I just did this to mine to stop the noise, hosed it with a combo of WD40 and lanolin to shut the thing up. Does lanolin make them wear faster?
Terror

Postby bigjobs on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 pm

A good clean out with just water stops the squeaking... no need to use lanolin or whatever.
bigjobs

Return to Introductions