New member from Melb

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New member from Melb

Postby beej75 on Sat May 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Hey there, I've been driving a 2001 MK Triton for about a year and a half. It's a GLS auto running duel fuel (vapour injection). It's got 2in lift, ARB bars front and back, 265/75 rubber on 16in Sunraysias. Had about 250K on the clock at purchase, and its been well used. I take it pretty easy compared to the previous owner, but I really like it.

Having said that, with a second kid on the way, my car is going to become the long traveller as we can't fit everyone plus luggage plus baby stuff in the small SUV. Had a friend recently wind up in a coma for 2 weeks and had to learn how to talk, eat, walk, live again - from a side-on crash with no airbags. That, and a few other reasons, have left me thinking it's time to upgrade to a current model dual cab ute with all the safety bells n whistles. Some will say it's overkill, or plain stupid. But I have my reasons.

Was interested in the BT50, due to bigger engine, cheaper than the Ranger it's identical to, and seemed to rate well in most reviews. I drove one - it was OK. Way more refined than my old unit, but I expected that. But still .... very tractor-like under acceleration compared to our 2L turbo diesel SUV. In fact, unrefined to the point I wanted to drive something else to see how it was.

I haven't been a fan of the Triton shape since pretty much my MK onwards. But I saw the '17 MQ GLS Sport down the road and liked it. Took it for a drive and found it way better than the BT50. Just a much better driving car. Way better infotainment system, comfier seats, better handling (on road) and just ... better.

It's the front runner for me. Just have to take the capsule down and see how far forward the passenger seat has to go for it to fit, and then I'll prob pull the trigger close to Jun 30.

I'll be here searching for answers to questions till then while I recuperate from shoulder surgery (max tyre size on stock rims, rear bar/towbar suggestions, whether to go the sport or just stock GLS and paint stuff black myself and get a Harrop locker later etc etc etc).

The only thing the BT50 had on the Triton (for me) was the sunglass holder was the first I've found that fits wrap around style sunnies.
beej75

Re: New member from Melb

Postby DaveXT on Sat May 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Welcome
DaveXT

Return to Introductions