Not new but still have a question

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Not new but still have a question

Postby Riguez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi guys

I've been a member for years, so not new, but wasn't sure where to put this.......

Asking for a friend....... I'm looking for anything related to things to look out for when buying a 2005 MK V6 model. Yes i used the search function first, but nothing specific to the MK model came up. Nothing at all. Happy to be rerouted to relevant threads if they exist. I've had a 2010 MN diesel from new so I know some stuff, just wondering if any issues etc specific to the MK V6 petrol. Many thanks in advance.
Riguez

Re: Not new but still have a question

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:12 pm

They're a tough truck and not overpowered so no dramas with driveline. Manual is a better choice than auto which loses a lot of performance.

Engine is classic Mitsubishi 6G7 series - they have noisy hydraulic lifters (not a problem, just tick, tick tick; No, not tick, tick BOOM like the MN) and they can consume petrol at a rate greater than Saudi Arabia can produce it. But, driven a bit easy they can be surprisingly economical. Usual clacketty-clack when cold starting until oil pressure builds up. Again, no problem - just get used to it. Timing belt needs to be changed every 100,000km which is not unusual but very important in these. Your mechanic will hate you after you get him to do it since access is difficult and half the engine needs to come apart to do spark plugs at the same time. Once done, good for another 100K.

Compared to modern vehicles they are a bit agricultural but, in the GLS that I had, all the basics were there.

If going offroad and likely to encounter more than just a puddle then it's a good idea to fit a snorkel since the fan flicks water straight into the air intake. Ask me how I know and how expensive a rebuild is. That said, that tough little thing ran for a few weeks with bent conrods, damaged valves and main bearings that had gouges bigger than can be dug by a Bobcat. I know of another that drove from Adelaide to Sydney with similar engine damage.

Electrics and computers are simple, so doing mods is not difficult. Despite the weakness of limited front suspension travel it went pretty good offroad. Torsion bars can be wound up for a little more lift and there are aftermarket ones available. A Lokka would make one of these a weapon. Squeaking rear leaves were not an option - these were introduced by Mitsubishi in the ML.

Tub in the dual cab is quite a good size, being much longer than the ML but overhangs were not a problem. Steering lock was roughly the same as that for the Queen Mary.

Brakes were, ummm............ok. Just had to make sure that the rear linings were always adjusted right up.

Paint quality was a bit doubtful. By now it should have all peeled off, so no problem. :P
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Riguez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

hahaha NowForThe5th. Thanks mate! Sounds like a little ripper. This ones only done 140,000km, so should have a bit of life left in it yet. And still has most of its paint job...... Already has a snorkel and been lifted etc. Will do all the usual checks. :D
Riguez

Postby Robby on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Looks like I have to sell my MN, looking at the MK GLXR for around $10000 would I be better off looking at the diesel? and anything else I should be mindful of adding to what nowforthe5th had to say.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Introductions