New Triton. Almost.

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New Triton. Almost.

Postby DavidSAnderson on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:55 pm

In 2009 I excitedly went out to buy a new Triton and ended up with something else.
I wanted the 3.2 Triton GLXR, but ended up with a Pajero.
Well, the other day I wanted a new Triton GLS (Or 2017 Sport) and drove away with a -
How does this happen ?

I test drove a manual Navara SL, Mazda BT50 XT and Triton GLS and was impressed with all though they're all very different. And haven't utes have come a long way in the last 10 years ?
While on paper, the Triton engine loses out to the other dual cabs in power, in reality the engine is very smooth, very refined and quite punchy and the ride, with the exception of a little roller coaster action on the right bumps, is very good.
In all, I would say it's a very well sorted vehicle and the smaller size over the others not a bad thing - particularly in town.
The seats are a MASSIVE improvement on the 09 - Massive.
Last, I think the Super-Select is a great thing and find it damn useful round here on the Pajero.

The Mazda was very roomy, but I wasn't over the moon with the shift quality and the marriage of the engine and gear-box. It has the grunt, but the manual 6 speeder made the torque curve feel peaky and narrow.
I would call the engine middle ground as far as refinement goes, but would put the handling at the top, or near the top of the the pack. From what I read, they're very good off road.

The Nissan?
Great engine though a little gruff - it's got torque everywhere feels like a missile even if it wouldn't get away from the Triton. On-road the Navara feels good and would be an easy ute to live with if off-road requirements weren't to hardcore.
That said, my wife complained about the passenger seat and the back was a little tight for my two big sons and little girl.
The Triton was better in this respect and the Mazda way ahead.

Then, while test driving a auto Toyota Fortuner GX as an off-chance option (nice, but average power/handling) the salesman told my wife that nobody would want, or be able to drive a manual in ten years and we had to go re-test everything in auto.
I Haven't ever owned an auto (proper) 4x4, but again, I was very impressed with all the utes as autos -they have certainly got better over the years.

The problem with both the above however is legroom and after trying everything, At 6'4, I only really fit in the Mazda.
In the end, at a bit over 40K Drive away for an auto with a few extra's and three free services, the Mazda was too hard to pass up and have one on the way.
Also, I like the idea (will check the reality soon enough) that with minimum modifications (tires/snorkel) it should get me everywhere I already go in the Victorian high country in my modified Pajero or perhaps further.

Again, thanks for the forum - it's been a great source of information on the new model Triton and where I started my research on them.
DavidSAnderson

Re: New Triton. Almost.

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:05 pm

See ya in 9 years. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: New Triton. Almost.

Postby DavidSAnderson on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:See ya in 9 years. :D

I'll be lurking of course.. ;) :D
DavidSAnderson

Return to Introductions