Yep, another new Triton owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Yep, another new Triton owner

Postby BBP on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Howdy,

joined here a long time ago, but only recently got an Auto GLS in white. Been driving Paj's for years but decided to try a ute. Went the Triton because I am addicted to the "super select" system. I have read all about the Tritons "quirks" and issues. But hey, that is what comes with all cars . Just have to work around them.
Wanted a blackline for the difflock but did not like the push button start. Wife's cars have had for them for the last 5 years and I still don't like it. So after market diff lock it is.

Got it yesterday, with ARB Summit bar and BFG K02's, and plastics organised by dealer. Have some Lightforce LED Striker's to go on. Small but really solid. After reading relevant threads on here I will likely get the factory wiring loom to keep it "clean".
Also fitting a GME XRS-330C radio so yet to poke around for the best ingress point through firewall. I believe there are some unused grommets I can utilise. Which will be good as I want to fit some amateur radio gear if I can. Though there is bugger all space and locations to mount stuff. Unlike the old Paj I traded for the Triton.

Then the almost obligatory "munji" cable, catch can, and most importantly extra fuel filtration/water detection. Too many horror stories about common rail failures due to bad fuel.
Unlike my old 4M40 NL (which I still have), it could suck rocks through it without noticing.
Then probably bash plates, sidesteps/sliders, and new suspension later after all this crap has destroyed the factory shockers, not to mention the fuel consumption.
Plan to build it up for solo touring and off-roading with the goal of keeping it as light as possible. yeah, I know steel bullbar is not a good start, right?. Wanted a smarter but they are "fugly" and cannot fit rails to them.

Only has 38kms on it so far, and no rattly passenger seat (yet!).

Rob
BBP

Re: Yep, another new Triton owner

Postby snakesoup on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Good on you bbp...put some pics up mate ! I might trade up to an mq soon too!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby BBP on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 am

Here it is home from the dealer. The driving lights are sitting there at the moment and are soon to go on.
Click to view larger picture
BBP

Postby snakesoup on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am

Very nice how much mate?

snakesoup

Postby BBP on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi Snakesoup, around 42k including extra bits.
No-one wanted to play much at the time it was ordered and due to other pressures I did not have the luxury of running around interstate. Ironically as it happens changed circumstances meant I then could have but I had already ordered it. No matter we move on.

Not sure I like the weather shields though. I find it hard to see around the A pillar. Time will tell or the driver's may go and I'll fit a slimline one.
Also getting used to the engine, very flat feeling. The old NP paj used to kick a bit around 1800 - 2000 rpm, nothing much from the 2.4. Maybe an iDrive. Getting a Munji cable, so that may help too by improving turbo spool. Or I just learn to live with it.

Now to start running cables into the cabin.

Rob
BBP

Postby snakesoup on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Im a ham too mate what radios you putting in ? Vk3fmgi

snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 pm

So not that impressed with the power of it then ? Did your paj have the 147kw engine?

snakesoup

Postby BBP on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 am

Hi snakesoup,

No it was pre common rail 3.2. Just feels to have more torque at lower revs. It is probably more me getting used to the response and drive accordingly.

Been thinking about fitting the my FT857. Just got to find a spot for the head. Thinking about using a RAM mount that comes of the passenger seat bolt. Though I wanted that for the tablet. I may do what I have always done and just take it in a case and run it portable via the my Buddipole antenna. Useful when camping for a few days.
Been some years since I played radio and I let my license lapse a few years ago. Also HF sucks at this QTH with QRN S7+ most days and no space for a decent tower to clear the metal garage (not that it would get approved anyway). So I used to leave HF for camping trips. VHF/UHF chat also kinda dead around here (or was). I have been toying with the idea of satellite comms instead. Good excuse to buy some new rotators and antennas. I am seeing about renewing now and getting a new 2 letter call sign even though the old 3 letter one still appears to be available , I am in VK1 btw.

My intention is to remove the rear seats and that should leave plenty of room to mount a fridge/storage along with a pile of other stuff. Hopefully will find a bung I can run coax through as I want to mount an antenna at the back. Anyway lots of projects for this thing.

How long have you had your foundation call?

Rob
BBP

Postby snakesoup on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Hey rob, had the f call for almost 12 months now but been playing with radios all my life..ive got an icom 706mk2 and a ah4 auto tuner which i play around with making different wire antennas ..had a codan 9323 and sold that but ive still got the 9350 auto tuner which i can use on the icom too as made up a cable for it...so could use mobile but still haven't found a separation cable for tge 706..! Next time you're setup on hf should give me a shout!
I just ordered a 9m squid pole to make a new vertical for hf ..are you a member of any of the 4x4 hf clubs?

snakesoup

Postby BBP on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 am

Hi snakesoup,

I think the foundation call was a good thing to introduce people to HAM radio. I did the regs and theory exams way back in the late 80's. I only had a "limited" call because I refused to do the CW component. I just hated CW even though I did learn a bit of it. I actually found the faster speeds easier than the slow, but still hated it. So I had everything but HF. I was overseas for some years and by the time I got back they had dropped the morse requirement and all "limited" calls went to full licenses. After all it was the same theory level and regs just with CW.

In the shack I have a Kenwood TS-440SAT, great little radio, had for 25 years or more now. I have a post AF DSP on it and I reckon it sounds better than the 657 with IF DSP.
Thinking of getting a newer HF rig but with QRM being so bad here I have not bothered. Problem is I have powerlines across the back boundary and a big metal shed so not RF friendly. I have a 20M rotatable trap dipole up at the moment. Does tune for 40 easily and the ATU gets to most of 80 as well. Looking at building a 40M spider beam, that may reduce some of the noise I get. Or maybe a quad.

Not part of any radio club at all at the moment. I was part of the WIA for years and the local club, but as mentioned dropped everything and went QRT for some years.
Now that I have just taken early retirement I will have more time to indulge in 4wding and radio :D .

I need to check what the F call can access, but what band/s are you usually on?. And I see I have been waffling, typical HAM.

Rob
BBP

Postby snakesoup on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:58 am

I do more listening than i do talking haha...mainly 20 40 and 80 i like to listen in on the 4wd networks scheds vks 737 ..bush telegraph etc im a member of the bush telegraph its only $30 ish a year ...id have to check but i think f call can use pretty much all the bands expect top band 160m

snakesoup

Return to Introductions