A reformed Rodeo owner of 19yrs now Triton Owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

A reformed Rodeo owner of 19yrs now Triton Owner

Postby DojeeD on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi All,

Quick shout out from me being a new Triton owner.

Been trolling the forums looking for the good and the bad on the Tritons when trying to decide what to buy to replace the old Holden Rodeo.

In the end the “end of financial year” deals our trusty car broker (not to be confused with dealer) found a new white 2018 GLX+ diesel auto for us a few thousand under what our local dealers would and bam its on its way :D . Combined with the price, short wheel base and great turning circle (for the missus) I look forward to maybe another long lifespan of experiences with this like I had with the Rodeo.

It’s still on a car carrier but hope to get it mid week so apart from some factory options to make the inital purchase a bit easier on the hip pocket looking to add a few things like catch can (thinking ProVent at this stage but filter costs are higher I believe than some other options) and already having been caught by the crap Woolworths diesel for the wife’s car up here a fuel filter (still don’t know pre or post would be better and cheaper).

Look forward to all you inputs down the track.

Cheers

DojeeD a.k.a Dodgey (Dale)
DojeeD

Re: A reformed Rodeo owner of 19yrs now Triton Owner

Postby Genebaby on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Congrats, we bought ours recently too.

I put on a Process West catch can, the filter is washable and it's a nice looking alloy unit.

I also put the EGR delete cable him Munji on it.

Still running in but fuel consumption has been good, even with our running in driving style.
Genebaby

Postby DojeeD on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks for the options Genebaby, I didn't know there was a washable type and certainly an option. I think for the price price of a filter every 2 years or so I am happy to toss something that will save a few thousand in the end. I was really starting to think of all the ongoing running costs and how much that might eat into the upgrade budget over time with a young family.

I know there are a few "catch can" types that you fill with steel wool but I would be hoping nothing gets sucked in where it shouldn't and up here in the tropics even if covered in oil goop I am sure it would still rust over time.

I googled the "Munii" cable I take it you are using it to give some performance back and to take in cleaner air as well ? Hadn't thought of that but I will how much the sluggishness annoys me once I have had a chance to drive it for a few months.

I am still getting use to having to look after Diesel engines a little more "delicately" than the old V6 Petrol where it just seems to run without any issues even when there was water in some bad fuel just mix a bit of premium in and go for a drive. I won't miss the 55L/ 350 km (12 - 13L / 100km) around town and "lack" of efficiency at the prices now days. I saw it get to $1.68/L at the start of the school holidays yet a small town 100Km south (still get bulk fuel from our port) had it 12c - 15c cheaper... you really have to shop around.

Thanks

Dojeed
DojeeD

Postby Genebaby on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 am

The filter on my can is not steel, so it's good that way.

I for sure did not want exhaust running into my engine, only clean air.

Hopefully I'll avoid any build up of sludge this way.
Genebaby

Postby Heath72 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi there,
I too upgrade from a 20yr old Rodeo to a new GLX+ :D
Heath72

Postby MN Driver on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Just another option for a catch can, I am installing a Flash lube catch can in a few weeks. its smaller than the provent so its good for confined spaces and has a replaceable filter. I have also gone for a remap rather than a egr delete cable. It gave me more power which I am very happy with.
MN Driver

Postby harvster on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am

I have a Provent knockoff, so I replaced the throwaway filter with this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-200-Ven ... 2749.l2649

Stainless steel, cleanable and it fits. I'll see how it goes
harvster
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Introductions