Diamonds are Forever

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Diamonds are Forever

Postby Piston Broke on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Shirley Bassey sings the praises of Mitsubishi in James Bond "Diamonds Are Forever" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwbEuzJCnqI (1971)

Hi all, my first Mitsi Ute added to my growing stable of two work horses - the first (Bravo) having been passed down a generation to my son.
Picked up an MQ as a runout model in June and happy with it so far.
Though the ali tray still doesn't fit a standard metric sheet and didn't come with a rear ladder rack which was the first accessory - no, definitely a mod - that I had to make urgently for work purposes (I climb ladders for a living).
The bent tube and tray top boots I ordered online turned up promptly and installed it myself except I didn't like how much room the boot took up. So I found that a 25x25 aluminium length fits pefectly inside the 65mm tube to create a square pin or peg for the square hole I handcut into the tray. After bolting sturdy angle brackets under the tray, the pegs slide snugly into position which are finally secured with a bolt & wing-nut. The tube ends sit squarely on the deck with little movement and at the right height to accomodate my ladders. So it's off to work I go - Hi Ho, Hi Ho.

Job two was to fit under tray tool boxes, from the same online order, up against the cab for my ropes and spare petrol container. The RHS box was installed firstly and I was about to fit the LHS and realised that's where the fuel filler pipe is - duh! So the plan is to cut the back off the tool box and have it as a false front, hiding the petrol cap, so both sides of the ute will match. Filling up at the servo will mean opening the box before unlocking the cap - and by the time I manage that, the price of fuel will've gone up again !

So I'm off to a flying start with the practicalities, including a new Kenwood head unit and down the track I intend to add accessories such as fog lights, a roller drawer, more tool boxes at the rear (and reposition the tail lights to the new tool boxes).
I've yet to tint the windows but thinking blended dark-to-blue chrome all around - to match my sunglasses.

I've got a few questions already, so I'll see you in the forums. Hey, and sometimes my humour doesn't translate well online - so don't be offended by my replies.
Piston Broke

Re: Diamonds are Forever

Postby Duck on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Nice work, pictures help in translating the description.
Look forward to seeing it and your sharp tongue in action.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Re: Diamonds are Forever

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Onya Duck.

The bloke serenades you and you want pictures as well? :P :lol: :lol:

Welcome along Piston Broke.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Introductions