Is this normal?

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Is this normal?

Postby glod on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi everyone!
My name is Martin. I live in South Gippsland, Australia.
Apologies if this subject has already been covered elsewhere.
I am currently looking to buy a second hand Triton and over the last couple of week I have test driven three. They were all MN's from 2009 and 2010.
Whiles driving them I wanted to make sure the 4wd (high and low) worked, but could not seem to get it engaged.
I am pretty sure that I got the first one into low range though the light on the dash board never came on. The second one had the light flashing sporadically as I tried to engage 4wd but would not stay on. The third one, no light at all and not being used to an automatic, I couldn't tell if it ever got into low range.
All owners said they don't really use 4wd so I am thinking it could somehow get stuck after not being engaged for a long time.
So, I am wondering; is this an common issue? Is there an easy fix?
Would very much appreciate any of your thoughts.
All the best -Martin
glod

Re: Is this normal?

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi Martin.

So the units you've been checking out, are they Easy or Super Select? Were they all autos?

Some variants have the decoupling clutch in the front diff. Solenoids and switches involved with this.

I have had the diff clutch frozen on my ml in the past. Switching in and out of the 4x4 options freed it up and never had any issues since.

Probably the ole "lose it if you don't use it".
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby glod on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:18 pm

HI there,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm not sure how to tell the difference between Easy and Super Select. The first one was manual and the last two were automatic.

The owner of the second MN got back to me later on and said that after some fiddling around he got it to work again...
glod

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am

Super select allows allwheel drive on hard surfaces, so you have 4H and 4Hl (locked).

I would assume that with the autos, apart from being stationary, you also have to be in neutral to switch between high and low range.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shawty950 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:48 pm

This is what "super select" would look like..easy select wont have the 2nd from the left "4H".

Also remember that going into 4LLc u have to come to a complete stop, go to neutral in the auto and switch from 4HLc to 4LLc and wait for the lights to stop flashing.
https://imghostr.net/image/RIJXg
shawty950

Postby glod on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:05 pm

Ah, yes. They would have been super select, then.
One of the owner advised me to shift it into 4wd whiles on the move. It made a horrible grinding sound so I stopped that pretty quick.
Looking at another two tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be driving one of them home.

Thanks for your input.
glod

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:12 am

Don't buy that one then. Lol.

Happy hunting. Just check whether they've had the heat stress testing done, state of the fluids.
Like with any preowned vehicle, I'd be prepared to do a complete lube change to ensure its all good and set a starting point for your maintenance regime.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Introductions