Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby Maxiy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:00 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Your dealer's competency is questionable, wouldn't you first investigate the thermostat before pulling out the radiator?.

Agreed

Last thought, are you losing coolant? The cap that came with my new radiator turned faulty after a few months and wasn't holding pressure. New cap and problem hasn't come back

When it first started, he could drive for a few hours before it over heated, when opening the bonnet, the overflow bottle would be pressurised, and purging coolant through the small pinhole at the back (its a replacement bottle installed with the safari snorkel). Bubbles would also be coming into the overflow bottle from the radiator, and the coolant hoses from the engine were ROCK solid. once the car cooled down he could drive it for another few hours before it over heated again.

Radiator was replace, and he took it for 1 drive and the temps were all over the place, temps would rise to above 95 very quickly, then you could hear the coolant rushing through the engine (loud gurgling sound) and temps would go back down. He took it straight back to the dealer, which was when they said it was the thermostat.

Thermostat was replaced, and car was ok around town. Then he took it on a long drive for a camping trip last weekend, car overheated after 2 hours, then again after an hour. he left the car at camp all weekend, then on the drive home, it overheated 5 times.

Today he took the car to the dealer and it overheated on the trip to the dealer (15kms). Currently with the dealer being assess. We are hoping that they finally bite the bullet and just replace the engine.
Maxiy

Postby OffRoadDave on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Maxiy wrote:
Today he took the car to the dealer and it overheated on the trip to the dealer (15kms). Currently with the dealer being assess. We are hoping that they finally bite the bullet and just replace the engine.

If they come back with some BS reason again, go to the nearest mechanic, pay him to do a combustion test on the coolant and if it fails, write a report which you can then take back to the dealer.

Might cost you an hour of the mechanics time, but how much time & money could it potentially save, while getting the run around from the dealer if they are trying to push your mate past the warranty period.
OffRoadDave

Postby Stoneman on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:39 am

new motor cooked today at 110,000
Stoneman

Postby Maxiy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:17 am

Good news

My brother has been given the green light for a new engine under warranty.
Bad news, my triton is now sitting in his place at the dealer because a balancing belt chewed itself to pieces yesterday. Looks to be a human error on the servicing mechanics part (fingers crossed it has not damaged the engine)
Maxiy

Postby Joel on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Maxiy wrote:Good news

My brother has been given the green light for a new engine under warranty.
Bad news, my triton is now sitting in his place at the dealer because a balancing belt chewed itself to pieces yesterday. Looks to be a human error on the servicing mechanics part (fingers crossed it has not damaged the engine)

Or that is has buggered the engine and you get a new one too at their expense
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Previous

Return to General Discussion