Actual glass headlights?

Anything Triton related

Actual glass headlights?

Postby Headley on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Hey guys,

Where can i get some proper glass headlights for the MN? Just cleaned my acryllic headlights and polished off the yellowing but the housings have got some crazed micro cracks in it.

Better to try and get glass ones if they exist?
Headley

Re: Actual glass headlights?

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 pm

No such thing. It's virtually impossible to mould glass in the right shape and maintain optical clarity, something that is much easier, and cheaper to do with polycarbonate.

Buy a set of new lights. They're relatively cheap these days. Get the genuine ones since they're much higher quality than the cheap copies, and then get a set of acrylic headlight protectors. These will cut your light output a bit, but not too much if you keep them clean and you can always remove them if doing a longer night run. More importantly, the acrylic will filter the UV and prevent the polycarbonate from deteriorating.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 am

NowForThe5th wrote: then get a set of acrylic headlight protectors. These will cut your light output a bit, but not too much if you keep them clean and you can always remove them if doing a longer night run. More importantly, the acrylic will filter the UV and prevent the polycarbonate from deteriorating.

Couldn't agree more mate in regards to the acrylic head light protectors, always had them and always will.
All the new cars Ive had I always get a genuine set thrown in, Had a VZ SS Thunder ute had protectors on it since new, 10 years later and the original polycarbonate head lights looked like brand new, even those on my 2007 Hilux, No pitting, discolouration,( You can always tell those that never have them & the sun has been beaming on them all day, they look bloody horrible, yellow, starting to craze, dull ) I was once informed all the uv rays are absorbed by the protectors rather than the headlight lense themselves, a lot of people hate them, but I,m sold
WUNSIE

Postby Crash486 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 pm

I used protection film. Same UV protection, easier to clean . Easy on the MN as the lights are pretty flat.

crash486
Crash486

Postby Headley on Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 am

Awesome thanks guys :) Will get me some protectors on the way home from super/barn
Headley

Return to General Discussion