Solution for Lag

Anything Triton related

Solution for Lag

Postby ScottyB76 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi everyone. I have a 2016 MQ Triton, manual transmission with 90,000 kms. I have always had an issue with the turbo lag when taking off with this vehicle. It’s an issue when your in a sticky situation whether in traffic or off-road, and when you need response there is at least a one second delay. I have rung a few places and they have suggested dyno tuning and ECU remapping, soot clean and an oil catch can. I’m just wandering if others have had the same issue and what your suggestions are. Thanks for your time.
ScottyB76

Re: Solution for Lag

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 pm

Remap and manifold clean is about all you can do,
It seems many are happy with just an iDrive Windbooster Hikeit . I would do the remap option
L200Shogun

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 am

If you need a manifold clean on an MQ, then there is something else causing the problem.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby ScottyB76 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:52 am

Hi and thanks for your replies. Yeah I'm leaning towards the remap, but just means I'm spending over $2000 to get my motor running to the performance it should have been all along, when bought new.
I've already had to replace one of the hoses from the intercooler as it split. Mechanic reckoned it was from the soot build-up inside the hose.
ScottyB76

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 pm

It sounds like you may have an issue of perceived turbo lag involving the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.

The EGR valve usually stays partially open under light to moderate engine loads, as part of the emission control system designed to reduce NOx emissions.

The engine cannot produce full power with the EGR valve open, as some of the inlet air charge is replaced with exhaust gas. So when you put your foot to the floor, the ECU commands the EGR valve to first wind itself closed, then the turbo spools up, then you are able to take full power from the engine. I think the EGR valve takes a moment to do this. Keeping the EGR valve shut permanently with a blanking cable can eliminate some of this lag by removing an entire step from that process of going from low power to maximum power.

I have a 2018 MQ with the 6 speed manual and I can notice a large reduction in the lag time when I have the EGR blank fitted (used offroad only of course). The difference is basically night and day for me.

It's also much cheaper than a remap at $119.

https://munji.com.au/collections/module ... 8244028673

A catch can is also a great idea, as it does prevent buildup of oil etc in the inlet manifold. It won't solve a preexisting buildup problem though.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby ScottyB76 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:53 am

Ok, Awesome option. Cheers mate will have a look!
ScottyB76

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 pm

The EGR system only works a small amount of the time. A resister won't fix "lag". Search on here some resiters on MQ reduce the boost turbo makes. I would not fit one to a MQ

Many on Facebook pages claim their iDrive Windbooster Hikeit etc gets rid of the "throttle lag" and they are then happy with performance.

A good remap lowers the rpm where the turbo comes on boost so less "lag"

I must drive wrong in don't suffer from "throttle lag" or "turbo lag"

If your inlet manifold is full of crap you have poor engine performance
L200Shogun

Postby Maxiy on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 am

As a cheap starting point, as shogun has suggested, a throttle control unit will make the 'drive-ability' much nicer.

I was a skeptic until i got gifted an I-Drive. put simply it just makes the care more drive-able, does not get rid of the turbo lag, but definitely makes the care better to drive.
Maxiy

Postby ScottyB76 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi, and thanks again. I purchased a Kings Throttle Control unit a while back. It did make a difference, then one day the vehicle went into limp mode. Didn't tell Mitsubishi about it of course, and they couldn't find a reason for it, apart from saying I was missing a fuse (an excuse just to charge me for their labour). As much as I like the response from the throttle unit, not real keen on the chance of the vehicle going into limp mode, on the beach for example.
ScottyB76

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Kings enough said.
You very rarely see issues with an iDrive
L200Shogun

Postby ScottyB76 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Yeah ok was wandering that, because there is a fair difference in the price.
ScottyB76

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:43 pm

$194 at Repco last week with their 30% off sale
L200Shogun

Postby ScottyB76 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Yeah ok awesome, my favourite place! Cheers again..
ScottyB76

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:59 am

ScottyB76 wrote:but just means I'm spending over $2000 to get my motor running to the performance it should have been all along, when bought new.

No, not really. Manufacturers design, build and tune these engines so that they give adequate performance for the job that they're designed to do, i.e. carry stuff, and do it reliably over an extended period. Yes, we all know that Mitsubishi dropped the ball with the MN, but generally these utes do their job well. It is, after all, a small capacity diesel, not a petrol V8 and your expectations need to be adjusted accordingly. Difficult, I know - it took me a couple of years to be weaned off petrol and learn how to drive a diesel. It doesn't make sense to only ever use 2/3 throttle instead of mashing it through the floor, but it certainly makes a difference to winning or losing the Traffic Light Grand Prix.

That said, engines built as strong as these will almost always have reserves that can be tapped for better power and performance. Hence the proliferation of tuning options such as ECU tunes and chips.

In terms of the lag, this is a feature that is inherent (to a greater or lesser degree) in all turbocharged engines. It is just a fact of life that it takes time to spool a turbo up to the point where it compresses enough air to travel through the intake system and be sucked into the combustion chamber in a volume sufficient that, when mixed with increased fuel, it will deliver more power. We all know that if you want more instant response then supercharging is the way to go.

As I said earlier, the key to faster response is to get the more fuel in and more, more highly compressed air. The ECU is programmed to ramp this up at a level which provides adequate performance without stressing components, which, by the way, have tonnes of reserve. A tune will increase both the common rail pressure and the response of the turbo by changing the attack angle of the vanes. Chips do much the same but have the advantage of having multiple tunes (the good ones) and, in conjunction with a Dawes valve or similar, can control boost as well. Cheap chips will only increase common rail pressures by a set percentage. Good ones look at boost, common rail pressure, injector duration and exhaust temperatures at a a minimum and other factors as well depending on brand/feature set etc. A throttle response module only tells the ECU that you want to ramp up the change more quickly. It doesn't make your engine develop any more power and the increased sensitivity of the throttle is an absolute pain when off road.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:43 am

The problems are generally not with the vehicle but with the drivers, lots coming from their old big sixes.

Before:
1. Big six petrol and bomb only weighed around 1800kg.
2. Relatively small wheel and tyre combination
3. Probably drive their hacks like they were in a F1 car. :lol:

Now:
1. Smaller four cylinder, weighing around 2400kg.
2 Large wheel and tyre combo, weighs a lot more and requires more torque to turn.
3. Probably try and drive their hacks like they were in a F1 car. :lol:

Just watch the wankers speeding past you in the 80k zones in their Rangers & Colorado's - I rest my case your honour.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion