Paint delaminating

Anything Triton related

Paint delaminating

Postby kwikfab on Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi,
did a search and couldn't find anything other than clear coat issues. has anyone had the paint just fall off? after a few days of rain it's like my paint just delaminates and falls off in chunks!. It has happened for about a year now but only on the tail gate so I honestly wasnt that worried, but after the few days of heavy rain its coming off the rear passenger door and a small spot around the fuel cap. basically my white car is slowly turning primer grey. there is no damage to the grey primer surface it's just like the white paint let go. I guess you could say if the car was covered in paper and you wet it thats what it looks like. Time to see what the warranty is really like I guess. :oops:
kwikfab

Re: Paint delaminating

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 pm

Model?
Year of manufacture?
When purchased?

So it's still under warranty?
You've contacted your dealer?

I've seen it before.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kwikfab on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:23 am

2013, tailgate started a year ago but I wasn’t worried, but now it looks like the whole car is going to go . I’m getting a film build test next week so I can go to dealer armed with all the info
kwikfab

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:47 am

Paint thickness isn't relevant for this problem, but maybe nice to have. Get a written report from a well respected paint shop.

Toyota had a huge problem with this a few years ago and I did a few Citroens that had the same issue. Something goes wrong in the factory, either product or procedure, and the paint just doesn't stick. Generally happens in batches so kind of surprised yours is the first we've heard of.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kwikfab on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:47 pm

update:
after being inspected by a professional, waiting on printed report
Paint thickness turns out to be totally relevant
factory spec film build is to be above 120microns, mine is reading around 30microns including primer, this is way below and does not allow enough buildup to resist UV.
next stop dealer
kwikfab

Postby kwikfab on Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:59 pm

Another update (just in case someone has the same problem)
Mitsubishi are looking after it, even though it’s out of warranty they are saying they are happy to get panels repainted that are affected . But COVID is making it hard to organise, this is why I stick with Mitsubishi, they may have problems here and there but the best car company I have ever dealt with and why there is 3 in my driveway.
kwikfab

Postby Grazer on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:46 pm

That's good news mate .
Grazer

Return to General Discussion