Computer Question

Anything Triton related

Computer Question

Postby scubapro on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Guys my daughters computer running XP Professional keeps rebooting. I can't get it stay on long enough to run any anti virus programs.

Anyone got any Ideas PLEASE:(

Alos has anyone bought ALDI computers?
scubapro

Computer Question

Postby Austblue on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 pm

I'd google it mate or try holding in F8 as it boots up to get it into safe mode then you might be able to run your virus program.
Austblue

Computer Question

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:36 am

as above ^^^ then piss if off and run linux ;)
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Computer Question

Postby judian3 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:13 am

Get a Mac. My MacBook Pro runs OSX 10.5 for my everyday use and XP when I want to go into the Darkside and run my Train Simulator. Best of both worlds!

The other advantage is that OSX is very stable and there are far fewer viral attacks on the Mac OS.
judian3

Computer Question

Postby Dallas on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:28 am

Heya Scuba,

Re: the Aldi computers.

A friend of mine is from Germany, and has an Aldi Laptop he bought back in Germany some years ago. He's very happy with it and has had no issues with it. I've had a look at it and the build quality was fine.

The laptop is no doubt made by a well known brand and packaged to Aldi's specifications. Probably ASUS or Acer would be my guess.
Dallas

Computer Question

Postby jonesy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:09 am

Mate you need to work out if it's a software or a hardware problem causing it to reboot. If you press F8 like someone said you'll get the menu where you can boot into safe mode. If you just let the computer sit at this menu for a while and it reboots then it will probably be a hardware issue (ie faulty components).

If you get into your bios usually F2 you can see cpu temps and fan speeds etc. Make sure the fans are going (pulling the cover is the best way).

Rebooting a lot of the time is caused by overheating.
jonesy

Computer Question

Postby Sapient on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:29 am

Did you make [b]any[/b] changes to the PC before this happened?

If so boot into safe mode (F8 during startup) and uninstall those changes. Also run AVG free anti virus while yr at it.

If still no luck there is a strong chance it is either overheating or a power supply issue (had any lightening in the area recently?) Next step would be taking it to your local friendly computer shop........and then installing Linux (Ubuntu FTW!)

Good Luck
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Computer Question

Postby YogiOz on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am

Can you get to the recovery console? You just load the CD as usual and choose "R" for recovery console 8-)
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Computer Question

Postby Magilla on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Recovery , OSX, F8, ASUS, F2, Reboot, Ubuntu.
WTF, hit with big stick
Magilla

Computer Question

Postby scubapro on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks Guys. I tried all the suggestions with mo luck. I then took it to my local PC shop. He said it was a faulty hard disk. $140-00 for new disk & total fix so I gave in.

This is my daughters PC & she downloads stuff from Limewire so I am guessing that had something to do with it.

But for $140-00 I am now not getting nagged at.
scubapro

Computer Question

Postby Magilla on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Ah sounds pretty cheap for peace and quiet. I have VET to try and help with some of those issues
Magilla

Return to General Discussion