Factory Canopy weight limits

Anything Triton related

Re: Factory Canopy weight limits

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Still 200 on the roof though? No wonder it moved.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Still 200 on the roof though? No wonder it moved.

Yes that's why my rtt has been on my canopy now for years
it didn't stay on the roof for long it was arbs delays
That left me no alternative to put it on the roof Dave...
Didn't damage it but I could see movement.
I would not put any more than say 100kg up there..on long trip..
viking shippy

Postby tritonliz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:32 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm sure 200 is well over what Mitsubishi would specify. The proper figure is in the handbook thing that came with the car.

It actually states 50kg limit on a sticker just inside canopy itself when you lift the rear window up..I wouldn't put more than 50 kg on mine!
I am looking for a single bar I can put across middle of canopy as have two roof bars on roof of Triton itself..so I can put long items on...I just need an extra fixing point really..
tritonliz

Postby viking shippy on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 am

tritonliz wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm sure 200 is well over what Mitsubishi would specify. The proper figure is in the handbook thing that came with the car.

It actually states 50kg limit on a sticker just inside canopy itself when you lift the rear window up..I wouldn't put more than 50 kg on mine!
I am looking for a single bar I can put across middle of canopy as have two roof bars on roof of Triton itself..so I can put long items on...I just need an extra fixing point really..

Your right Liz we got strayed fwd to the weight limits of the body roof...
You have to be Careful Liz as there is a fair bit of chassis twist on these trucks and mounting things rigidly across from the canopy to the cab can cause damage to your racks,roof and canopy..
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 am

Yes you wouldn't tie across bars on canopy and cab. Might be okay to have weight supported by a bar but not secured to it? Could move like with a slip joint then to allow for flex but still distribute weight? Would depend on the item I guess.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Factory Canopy

Postby Marcy on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:From Mitsubishi's Australian website:

These Genuine Mitsubishi Canopies are made of strong ABS plastic and are body coloured to match your Triton’s paint for a perfectly integrated fit.

Featuring a lockable, gas lift rear window, sliding side windows and a front window, the Genuine Mitsubishi Canopy is secure and lightweight. Fixed with 4 brackets, it can be easily unbolted and removed to provide a flexible and versatile loading solution.

Note: The Roof Rails on these Canopies have a 50kg carrying capacity.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/4wd/triton/specs-and-features/accessories/exterior

You'll have to scroll across at the bottom to get to the canopies.

Hey guys,

I recently purchased my first triton(2014 glx-r) a few months back, so im fairly new to alot of these things. I have a kings roof top tent that weighs about 57kg (just over the 50kg limit). I have a stock canopy with the rails running down it. Do you think I could get away with mounting it on the roof top rails if i got some bars to go across it? I plan to do some moderate 4x4ing so i'm a little bit worried about the whole dynamic weight limits. Should i just get some racks installed on the main cab instead? I'd really appreciate peoples thoughts on this!
Marcy

Postby mostlymago on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:32 am

I'd advise against putting something like a rooftop tent on the factory canopy, the cab roof would be a better option I think. The Mitsubishi factory canopies don't have much in the way of bracing inside them, whereas I believe the ARB ones are reinforced from the inside and are rated to carry a lot more weight on the top. I had a custom roof rack made to bolt into the spots where those bars are on the factory canopy. It's by no means light in itself and I'm apprehensive to put too much beyond a bit of basic camping stuff up there to free up space in the back for when I'm camping. That's definitely at the upper limit of what should be on the roof of a factory canopy. Unless you were to get the canopy reinforced similar to how the ARB ones are, that would be a different story.
mostlymago

Previous

Return to General Discussion