steering wheel audio controls

Anything Triton related

Re: steering wheel audio controls

Postby koshari on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Hey dirtworm. Any chance you can post the mode resistances on the steering wheel controller?
koshari

Postby dirtworm on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi Koshari, I did not get to the point of checking resistances. The PAC Swi took care of it. I am definitely no genius when it comes to electronics. My Clarion double Din head unit comes with the 3.5mm plug needed to control it via the steering wheel controls. The SWI-RC has the 3.5mm pin and the vehicle only has two wires. One wire must be the earth and the other is the control wire. If you intend to use the PAC SWI-rc you can download the instructions off their web site that might assist.
dirtworm

Postby koshari on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:21 pm

I was looking at using an arduinio however i want to mimic the resistances first to see on the ML actually accepts the inputs.
Cheers.
koshari

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Try these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby JDS Surf on Thu May 12, 2016 7:52 am

Just read through this post and looking at what andriesvdv has done seems to be simple enough for audio controls but I am trying to get my head around if I will be able to get what I want to do do working.

Here goes. I have purchase a lancer wheel with audio controls and phone controls. Along with this I have purchased a digital touch screen stereo out of this years MQ.

I am now hoping I can fit this all to my 2010 MN GLX and make it function.

Am I dreaming before I start pulling everything apart or is there a chance I can make this work?

Fingers Crossed! 8-)
JDS Surf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 12, 2016 8:00 am

I reckon it's possible, but the likelihood of it being plug and play won't be high.

In the end most stereos are going to have much the same inputs and outputs so it's just a question of pairing everything up and then working out what to do with what's left over.

Cowboy Dave

Postby JDS Surf on Thu May 12, 2016 8:05 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I reckon it's possible, but the likelihood of it being plug and play won't be high.

In the end most stereos are going to have much the same inputs and outputs so it's just a question of pairing everything up and then working out what to do with what's left over.

So I guess it will be a matter of reading of wiring diagrams to work it all out. Should be a fun an exercise.

At least your replay is positive!
JDS Surf

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu May 12, 2016 9:53 am

I'll be betting that it definitely won't be plug and play.

Food for thought; you can buy stereo adaptor looms from Supercheap/Jaycar etc. This should allow you to make up an adaptor loom on the bench that will plug into your MN loom. Might save a bit of time and frustration.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Thu May 12, 2016 10:02 am

So I read the whole post here but im needing something on the other side my cruise control buttons are worn out by previous owner anyone know the part number to replace?
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby JDS Surf on Thu May 12, 2016 10:10 am

braydenc wrote:So I read the whole post here but im needing something on the other side my cruise control buttons are worn out by previous owner anyone know the part number to replace?

I've bought a complete wheel for like $125 with all the controls and I am going to swap mine at the same time due this problem. I just got the wheel complete from a wreckers.
JDS Surf

Postby braydenc on Thu May 12, 2016 10:58 am

JDS Surf wrote:
braydenc wrote:So I read the whole post here but im needing something on the other side my cruise control buttons are worn out by previous owner anyone know the part number to replace?

I've bought a complete wheel for like $125 with all the controls and I am going to swap mine at the same time due this problem. I just got the wheel complete from a wreckers.

Yeah that's what I was thinking wreckers are the best bet
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 pm

There's a mob I've bought from before that makes harnesses for connecting Bluetooth and other interfaces - kram is the brand. If you bought one from each car you'd be able to cut them in half and just match the colours up (they use ISO colours).

Cowboy Dave

Postby JDS Surf on Thu May 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:There's a mob I've bought from before that makes harnesses for connecting Bluetooth and other interfaces - kram is the brand. If you bought one from each car you'd be able to cut them in half and just match the colours up (they use ISO colours).

Have you got a link or contact? So this would work with factory stuff too?
JDS Surf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Yeah i was on the phone before so I'll explain better now that I have a keyboard.

So if you think about a stock headunit, it will have a plug on the vehicle loom that plugs into the headunit. The KRAM thing will have one plug that is the same as that, and will go into the back of the headunit. On the other end is a plug which matches the headunit so the vehicle harness can plug into that. In the middle they then usually have a couple of ISO standard plugs which you can then use to connect a bluetooth unit or whatever else - they have a few different types.

So to do what you'd want to do, you need one to match your current wiring (to connect to the vehicle) and one to match the donor vehicle (to connect to the new headunit). Then you'd just cut the 2 redundant plugs off and join all the wires up. Alternatively there might be a way to use the ISO plugs? On mine I used the ISO plugs to run speaker outs from the headunit to the amp and then from the amp to the car wiring.

Anyway I'll dig up some links.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Have a look at pages 93 and 95 of this:

http://www.kram.dk/images/downloads/completecablelist.pdf

There's not a 2016 entry for the Triton but there is for the L200. You'd need to ascertain if they use the same headunit in the MQ over there or find another mitsubishi that uses it and would have the same plug.

There are ebay sellers here that supply them - and strike.com.au etc.

Your alternative is to look at the aerpro options:

http://aerpro.com/vehicles/mitsubishi/mitsubishi_triton_2009_2014_mn_gl_r_glx

and:

http://aerpro.com/vehicles/mitsubishi/mitsubishi_triton_2016_mq

But having said that, they seem to be recommending the same cables for both models so query whether they've got that right? Weird.

Cowboy Dave

Postby JDS Surf on Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Have a look at pages 93 and 94 of this:

[url]file:///C:/Users/DXH/Downloads/completecablelist.pdf[/url]

There's not a 2016 entry for the Triton but there is for the L200. You'd need to ascertain if they use the same headunit in the MQ over there or find another mitsubishi that uses it and would have the same plug.

and:

But having said that, they seem to be recommending the same cables for both models so query whether they've got that right? Weird.

Wow thanks for all the details. I'll keep you posted on what the outcome / solution is and hopefully with everything working.
JDS Surf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Oops, I better fix that dodgy local pdf link :oops: :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby JDS Surf on Fri May 13, 2016 7:50 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Have a look at pages 93 and 95 of this:

http://www.kram.dk/images/downloads/completecablelist.pdf

and:

Ok here is where confusion sets in and I haven't pulled the car apart yet so I could be wrong.

By the looks of it the 2015 MQ Stereo should fit in the original double DIN location.

The plugs are in the steering wheel for the audio controls I am adding which with some minor wire adding should work.

Where I am now stuck and I can see the options in the aerpro stuff is what will be required to add the phone buttons? Is there wiring available for them too? Have these be retrofitted before by anyone?

Also I always thought the Stereo had the bluetooth built into it but this appears to be separate in the harness some where else or am I reading incorrectly? So now I am wondering if this will actually work with newer factory mitsubishi headunit?

Probably I should just stop asking questions and pull it all apart and see what I get? :D
JDS Surf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Yeah not sure there mate - you might have to be a bit of a pioneer - unless someone else can remember. That said, if the donor car had steering wheel controls that look the same as the ones you've bought then it will be do-able one way or another.

There are aftermarket looms for steering wheel controls but they're stupidly expensive and I would hope unnecessary for what you're trying to do.

Cowboy Dave

Postby JDS Surf on Sat May 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Ok I have the stereo controls and phone controls all fitted and working with factory stereo now in my 2010. So next up it sort out a stereo that will work.
JDS Surf

Postby Dejayp on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:01 pm

JDS - Did you need to do anything to get the phone controls working? Or was it plug 'n play. I'm looking at doing this to my ML very soon, currently have an Alpine CarPlay double din head unit and I'm hating not having steering wheel controls.
Dejayp

ML Triton GLX-R Steering Wheel Replacement with Audio Contro

Postby rb08 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi All,

Just bought a 2007 ML Triton GLX-R, enjoying :D Im new and this is my first post (be gentle).

Planning on buying one of those android head units and I have read all the threads on the topic i could find and read through the directory, but i could not get a clear understanding of what people did with the ML's with steering wheel controls. So just want some simple answers:

1) Is there a steering wheel that i can simply just replace on the ML (maybe from lancer? MN?) i do not want to modify airbag looms for safety reasons.
2) If there is a steering wheel that just bolts on and uses same plugs as ML, does the ML already have the steering wheel control plugs or did you have to create your own wiring between buttons and head unit. If there is an existing option can you please provide details.

Cheers!
rb08

Re: ML Triton GLX-R Steering Wheel Replacement with Audio Co

Postby Naff on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:57 pm

I don't know of any MLs with steering wheel controls.. but then the number of official and unofficial model changes does get confusing.
Last edited by Naff on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Re: ML Triton GLX-R Steering Wheel Replacement with Audio Co

Postby rb08 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks Nathan,

has anyone managed to swap a whole steering wheel? (from MN or Lancer) does it fit? clock spring plugs etc?
rb08

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Read from the beginning of this thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion