steering wheel audio controls

Anything Triton related

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 pm

hey guys.

i did a search but couldnt find the answer im looking for.
i have a 2011 GLR and it did not come with steering wheel audio controls. i have the controls which are plug and play and when installed they dont work but when i turn the lights on the lights in the controls will go on. anyone have this issue and should i get the dealer to check it out?
cheers.
Tritonchad

Re: steering wheel audio controls

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:37 pm

I can't say that I understand your question to be honest mate. What are you referring to when you say you have controls that are plug and play and you installed them?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I can't say that I understand your question to be honest mate. What are you referring to when you say you have controls that are plug and play and you installed them?

i have the controls that came out a lancer and they are compatible with all of mitsubishi's vehicle range. once i have installed them on my triton they dont work with the radio but the lights on the buttons work.
i hope that makes more sense. :?
Tritonchad

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:10 pm

whilst this topic is open. does anyone else get confused signals with the audio side of the steering wheel?

i can be pushing any button and it will either mute and activate voice control, skip, restart, or adjust volume.. occasionally it will change the mode
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby tukadafoonday on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Voice control from the steering wheel? How did I not know of this? Or is it just for the mmcs thing?
tukadafoonday

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Okay, so you got steering wheel controls from another vehicle, that are supposed to work with your Triton radio, but don't? Except the auxiliary/dash lighting is powering up the switch lighting so you've at least got power?

I think I've got you now.
I can't say that I've ever seen anyone on here try that.
I can say that I read every post every day (well okay not all the birthday posts and not every post of the word association crap) and this is a new one on me.
I suppose this also means I have no life but then this isn't the 'I' thread so I should stop saying I shouldn't I?

Your best bet might be a guy called rockowallaby - he was involved in the sorting out of some steering wheel controls for an aftermarket head unit that was done as a group buy on the forum and he might have gained some knowledge that would assist.

Did these controls of yours come with some installation instructions? Maybe if you post them up one or more of the sparkies on the site will spot the problem? You might also tempt some people into following your lead and there might be a bunch of GLR owners who will be grateful for that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

JamoGLXR wrote:whilst this topic is open. does anyone else get confused signals with the audio side of the steering wheel?

i can be pushing any button and it will either mute and activate voice control, skip, restart, or adjust volume.. occasionally it will change the mode

I could never get the voice control to work on mine. MMCS for me but still no go. I figured it was down to me talking stupid. The controls work for the phone pickup and hangup though.

Cowboy Dave

Postby tezza08 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 pm

So did you put the complete lancer wheel on or just the controls out of it???
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:31 pm

tezza08 wrote:So did you put the complete lancer wheel on or just the controls out of it???

its just the audio controls. i have kept the origional steering wheel that came with the triton. but comparing wheels with the lancer and the GLR triton they are exactly the same.
Tritonchad

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Okay, so you got steering wheel controls from another vehicle, that are supposed to work with your Triton radio, but don't? Except the auxiliary/dash lighting is powering up the switch lighting so you've at least got power?

I think I've got you now.
I can't say that I've ever seen anyone on here try that.
I can say that I read every post every day (well okay not all the birthday posts and not every post of the word association crap) and this is a new one on me.
I suppose this also means I have no life but then this isn't the 'I' thread so I should stop saying I shouldn't I?

Your best bet might be a guy called rockowallaby - he was involved in the sorting out of some steering wheel controls for an aftermarket head unit that was done as a group buy on the forum and he might have gained some knowledge that would assist.

Did these controls of yours come with some installation instructions? Maybe if you post them up one or more of the sparkies on the site will spot the problem? You might also tempt some people into following your lead and there might be a bunch of GLR owners who will be grateful for that.

yeh i get power to the audio controls. the only problem is that they are not working with the radio.
Tritonchad

Postby smouch1975 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:04 pm

You need to find a pin out of the plugs at the end of the steering wheel switches and a pin out of the plug from the head unit. I make the assumption the head unit has a stock wiring harness and a plug was available for you to connect upto.

As a side thought, there maybe other free plugs from the same harness as, production cost dictate a common harness despite the various option levels available.

I guess, I'm asking, have you connected into the right plug. The power rails will be common in most plugs so you cant be sure you have the right plug, simply because you have power.
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:18 pm

smouch1975 wrote:You need to find a pin out of the plugs at the end of the steering wheel switches and a pin out of the plug from the head unit. I make the assumption the head unit has a stock wiring harness and a plug was available for you to connect upto.

As a side thought, there maybe other free plugs from the same harness as, production cost dictate a common harness despite the various option levels available.

I guess, I'm asking, have you connected into the right plug. The power rails will be common in most plugs so you cant be sure you have the right plug, simply because you have power.

when i took the blank left hand side cover off the steering wheel it only had one plug behind it, and i used that plug for the audio controls. the plug fits perfectly into the audio controls so yeh i presume that i am using the correct plug.
Tritonchad

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:35 pm

I think I see... Did you also check behind the head unit? Maybe there's a couple more connections needed back there? Just because the empty plug was in the wheel doesn't mean it's connected at the other end.

Cowboy Dave

Postby smouch1975 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

That might be for cruise, just check under right side, in case the install was sloppy. After all it would not have been checked as not fitted either
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby Mooons on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:40 pm

might sound stupid but have you checked the other end of the harness is pluged into the head unit
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:53 pm

found this link. hope it works

this is what i did except i did not remove the airbag.
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=1799
Tritonchad

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Mooons wrote:might sound stupid but have you checked the other end of the harness is pluged into the head unit

no i have not and i think that it is not connected to the head unit even though the audio controls have power. :?

if that is the problem ill be getting mitsubishi to check that ouit for me.
Tritonchad

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

smouch1975 wrote:That might be for cruise, just check under right side, in case the install was sloppy. After all it would not have been checked as not fitted either

nah its not for the cruise. i have the cruise controls connected up on the right hand side of the steering wheel.
Tritonchad

Postby josh_cod on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Sorry, I can't help, but I will be watching this one closely. If you get it sorted out then I may do the same with my GLR? Have you got any pictures or costs?
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:21 pm

josh_cod wrote:Sorry, I can't help, but I will be watching this one closely. If you get it sorted out then I may do the same with my GLR? Have you got any pictures or costs?

you can buy the adaptar from mitsubishi for about $120 and its a 10min install. its all plug and play. as for pics ill try and take some.
Tritonchad

Postby josh_cod on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks, good luck with it.
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby SecondEye on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:39 pm

I think the boys have you right there with checking the back of the head unit. When you turn on the lights does the head unit light up. Noting the controls could be linked to relay under dash.

Posting part no. would be good i think you will get alot of the boys excited...kinda scarey really....I mean really scarey. :?

With Jamoglxrs comment on mismatched commands going to the head unit. I found sometimes my head unit gets skip forward and back mixed up. Till i give it a thump, so i think its shitty connections in that little button for me.

If your really keen you could disconnect battery (give 10 minutes) then unplug headunit harness and steering column harness and that will tell you if there is direct connection. NOTE make sure battery disconnected or you may set off airbags or give yourself a engine checklight.
SecondEye

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:52 pm

SecondEye wrote:I think the boys have you right there with checking the back of the head unit. When you turn on the lights does the head unit light up. Noting the controls could be linked to relay under dash.

Posting part no. would be good i think you will get alot of the boys excited...kinda scarey really....I mean really scarey. :?

With Jamoglxrs comment on mismatched commands going to the head unit. I found sometimes my head unit gets skip forward and back mixed up. Till i give it a thump, so i think its shitty connections in that little button for me.

If your really keen you could disconnect battery (give 10 minutes) then unplug headunit harness and steering column harness and that will tell you if there is direct connection. NOTE make sure battery disconnected or you may set off airbags or give yourself a engine checklight.

Part No 8701A087 Audio Control Panel for Steering Wheel
RRP=A$128+

i have a picture too but do not know how to post it up.

this is where i got the audio control information from
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=1131& ... sc&start=0
Tritonchad

Postby josh_cod on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm

look here for how to post pictures: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2732
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Click to view larger picture