steering wheel audio controls

Anything Triton related

Re: steering wheel audio controls

Postby rb08 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:16 pm

I have read the whole thread a few times.

At no point can i see a post that says Steering wheel replacement into a ML. If only buttons from lancer steering wheel were fitted how were they fitted to the standard ML steering wheel.

Sorry i have tried.
rb08

Postby Naff on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Nah, looks like it's only been done from Lancer to MN.

You could be a pioneer... let me know how you go as I have an android unit that supposedly works with steering controls.

Alternatively, I found this...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361413843001

The android unit I have came with a dodgey remote that doesn't work, but assuming you also got a remote, you could teach the ebay one. Maybe not as neat as integrated, but another option if you really want steering wheel controls.

I don't bother, I rarely adjust it and being touch screen it's easy to do anyway.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rb08 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for that, its to bad...super curious...might have to go to the wreckers and have a poke around.

Had similar thought to you as a backup plan http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-Rem ... 1939583364

Cheers,
rb08

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:57 pm

If it has been done no one has posted about it.

For what it is worth, I reckon it is achievable.

Koshari posted earlier that the clocksprings are the same. Likely the airbags were too given the recent airbag recalls covered both MN and ML. Obviously there will be no loom between the steering column and the head unit but as that's only really 2 wires it won't be hard to add those in.

If it was me I'd try and buy a complete steering wheel from a wreckers, ideally including air bag and clock spring and switches. That should make a transplant simpler. Also makes it easier to resell if it seems like you struck out when they arrive.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 pm

rb08 wrote:Hi Nathan,

Thanks for that, its to bad...super curious...might have to go to the wreckers and have a poke around.

Had similar thought to you as a backup plan http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-Rem ... 1939583364

Cheers,

Don't buy that one. I bought one that is identical but paid much less than that. Came in from China.

But I reckon have a go. Where are you located? If in Sydney I'd be happy to give you a hand.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Starts near the end of Page 2 and Page 3 is mostly about the same thing.

ML steering wheel doesn't have provision for the switches but ML, MN and Lancer wheels are interchangeable so you'll need a different wheel. One member sourced his from a wrecker.

Then you need to ascertain whether you have the necessary wiring. There are various harnesses fitted to Tritons and they change from time to time so what someone else has you may not and vice versa. Need to actually have a look. There are wiring diagrams in this thread and links for the online manual which has more. You may need to have to complete wiring that you may not have, more likely if yours is MY07. Some of the radios fitted to MLs had the steering wheel control plug so it's possible that the controls were fitted for different markets and harnesses were common. This has certainly been the case for many other things.

Bottom line is that there is no simple answer because of the many production variations. However, others have made it work and you will just have to look at yours and work out what you have, and don't have, then fill in the gaps.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby rb08 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Cheers Guys.

Appreciate the responses! Good to know about the clocksprings and airbags, that provides some clarity. If it comes down to wiring then i can deal with that part of it :)

Cheers, will post back results
rb08

Postby koshari on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:16 pm

yeah i was gonna check the resistance combinations on te bac of the radio and see if the radio played the game, but then as of yet i havnt had time/other projects took priority.

before i bought anything i would just check if the resistances on the radio worked.
koshari

Postby bigpun2000 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:46 pm

After completing an install, I wanted to share my experience.

I have a GLR 2010 that I purchased not to long ago.
After lots of research I purchased the following:
- Joying double din stereo running android and lollipop 5.1.1 ($290)
- wiring harness to suit triton ($14)
- lancer steering wheel control (part number posted earlier - from ebay)
- dash/trim removal tools ($2)

The head unit was really easy to install. Watch some videos on youtube first.
The GLR has a double din head unit stock, mounted at the top of the dash.

I was a bit stumped after putting the steering wheel controls in, and not having it working. It lit up with the lights on, and I knew the issue was because of the two wires missing from the plug (outlined previously).
But where did they connect to?

Turns out the "key 1" wire on the aftermarket head unit, and the other to GND, or screw to something metal.
Sounds quite obvious now I type it out.

All working. Very happy / apart from the unit and the call quality on bluetooth. Have added an external MIC that will hopefully help.

Thanks to those that shared their experience and knowledge as it helped me a lot.
bigpun2000

Re: MN Triton Steering Wheel in ML

Postby Sasquatch! on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:05 pm

rb08 wrote:Thanks Nathan,

has anyone managed to swap a whole steering wheel? (from MN or Lancer) does it fit? clock spring plugs etc?

For what it's worth. I have just done this.

I can confirm that the steering wheel from an MN is a direct bolt in replacement to the ML as far as the wheel is concerned. The plugs for the air bag and the horn fit directly in. As a bonus, there were zero explosions and I still have my face attached.

All up the process took about 20 mins and you don't need a wheel puller.

I have an android head unit so the next step for me will be to figure out how to wire up the 5 pin audio controls plug from the MN wheel to the head unit in my ML.

Cheers,
Sean
Sasquatch!

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 pm

excellent work

from memory you only need 2 of the wires for the headunits in terms of volume up and down and track/function up and down. I think the others are maybe for the 3 voice and phone control buttons?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Jonhnyray on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:32 am

Yes I have successfully put mn triton steering wheel in my ml 09 glxr triton I had to change out the resistors in the chip board for the cruise control buttons.
I have not purchased new stereo and tested steering wheel audio controls.

2 weeks after I got my cruise control sorted the mn triton airbag was added to the recall...bummer!
But any how it cost me about $300 so far ,mitsubishi quoted me a bit over $1000 for a new ml steering wheel including installation.
Must use mn steering wheel as I know the airbag plug is compatible.(I used 2011 mn steering wheel)

NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMMEND MODIFYING STEERING WHEEL OR AIRBAG FOR SAFETY REASONS.
Jonhnyray

Postby Hornet75 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 am

andriesvdv wrote:For this exercise I removed the following:
• Steering upper and lower covers
Click to view larger picture
• Lower panel assembly

• Central lower panel assembly
Note: the illustrations are not the exact images!!!
Once these are removed a white plug with two wires can be located – It has a Black wire and Green wire with a Brown strip- connected to it.

At the bottom of the steering column you will see two plugs: a yellow plug and a black plug. The black plug is for the audio controls, you will notice it seems to be missing two wires - these two wires simply have to be connected to the white plug mentioned above.

Connection to the white plug was done by cutting the wires and soldering two extensions to it:

The other end of extensions goes to the black plug under the steering column:

I stripped the wires back about 10mm and (with the plug disconnected) inserted them into the lug openings of the plug (due to the lack of crimp terminals) and re fitted the plug. You do not have to worry about polarity, as it seems to be a resistive array (I have swapped them, with no difference noticed)

Note: This worked for the stock 2DIN Head Unit of my MY2013 GLX

Hi all

Well I just got my steering wheel audio control today finally and came back to this thread which I saw quite a while ago, only to find the pics are no longer visible.

After giving it a crack without pics, I haven't been able to get it to work.

Any chance of that someone would have current photos of the procedure?

Thanks

Bill
Last edited by Hornet75 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornet75

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:50 am

Your procedure is right. It's Photobucket that has blocked the pictures.

You'll need to host the pics on another site. Fortunately Dave, our site owner has developed imgHOSTR as a Photobucket replacement. See the link at the bottom of this page.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Quinny on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm

I couldn't get them to work either ...

Have a look HERE ... I did a bit of a write up some time ago showing how it's done ... Start at the top of that page ...

Q
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hornet75 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:46 pm

I think I have worked out what plugs to use now.

Will give it another crack tomorrow.

Not much wire to work with on the white plug. How did everyone get the terminals out of the plug to solder the wires to them out of curiosity?

Bill
Hornet75

Postby bren10 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:48 pm

JDS Surf wrote:Ok I have the stereo controls and phone controls all fitted and working with factory stereo now in my 2010. So next up it sort out a stereo that will work.

Hi

I know I'm replying to a really old post, but looking to fit audio and hopefully phone controls to the steering wheel of a recently acquired 2012 MN GLR with a stock factory stereo unit, JDS Surf's post seems to imply they work with the factory stereo. I've read all in this thread about connecting the extra two wires to make the audio controls work, but unsure if there is anything else required to get the phone controls working?

Brenton
bren10

Previous

Return to General Discussion