Postby andriesvdv on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 pm

For this exercise I removed the following:
• Steering upper and lower covers
Click to view larger picture
• Lower panel assembly

• Central lower panel assembly
Note: the illustrations are not the exact images!!!
Once these are removed a white plug with two wires can be located – It has a Black wire and Green wire with a Brown strip- connected to it.

At the bottom of the steering column you will see two plugs: a yellow plug and a black plug. The black plug is for the audio controls, you will notice it seems to be missing two wires - these two wires simply have to be connected to the white plug mentioned above.

Connection to the white plug was done by cutting the wires and soldering two extensions to it:

The other end of extensions goes to the black plug under the steering column:

I stripped the wires back about 10mm and (with the plug disconnected) inserted them into the lug openings of the plug (due to the lack of crimp terminals) and re fitted the plug. You do not have to worry about polarity, as it seems to be a resistive array (I have swapped them, with no difference noticed)

Note: This worked for the stock 2DIN Head Unit of my MY2013 GLX
andriesvdv

Re: steering wheel audio controls

Postby ainsjac on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:11 am

Great to see all the pictures to make things easy. Where did you get the controls (steering wheel) from and how much were they?
Are any of the clips holding the fascia "escapees" ....ones that get away and are never seen again...for at least 3 years?
ainsjac

Postby andriesvdv on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 pm

I ordered the switch online from: Amayama Trading (http://www.amayama.com/)
Part no: 8701A087 "SWITCH Mitsubishi" @ $66.36

I also ordered a light stork with fog light switch from the same Mob
Part no: 8614A021 "SWITCH Mitsubishi" @ $88.72

As for the clips, I had one jumping the fence when I installed the UHF (It is still at large) :oops:
andriesvdv

Postby jmos on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Nice work, many will appreciate your effort :D
jmos

Postby Dalton on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm

This mod worked perfectly! Many thanks to andriesvdv for working it out :)
Dalton

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Good stuff. This is now on my to-do list :D
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 pm

andriesvdv wrote:I ordered the switch online from: Amayama Trading (http://www.amayama.com/)
Part no: 8701A087 "SWITCH Mitsubishi" @ $66.36

I also ordered a light stork with fog light switch from the same Mob
Part no: 8614A021 "SWITCH Mitsubishi" @ $88.72

As for the clips, I had one jumping the fence when I installed the UHF (It is still at large) :oops:

Yeah this has been on my to do list for two years now. :lol: Good one mate. ;-)
Have you done the fog switch yet? I haven't looked into this properly yet but I seem to remember someone trying and not having any luck? Some wires missing in the loom from memory? :-?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andriesvdv on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Yes mate, got the fog lights to work with light stork switch, thanks to sijmen see http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3330

Even got the fog light indicator to light up in instrument panel(combination meter) ;)
andriesvdv

Postby srb on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:05 pm

andriesvdv wrote:Yes mate, got the fog lights to work with light stork switch, thanks to sijmen see http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3330

Even got the fog light indicator to light up in instrument panel(combination meter) ;)

Ahh cheers mate, looks to be some developments on that thread... Will have a read. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Swap ML Steering Wheel for MN

Postby asilvi on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I have a glxr ml triton and I was wondering if anyone knows if you can swap the ml steering wheel over for a mn triton wheel because I want to gain the steering wheel controls? No big loss if I can't but it would be nice
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to better reflect content and make searching easier
asilvi

Re: steering wheel

Postby koshari on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I suspect the airbags would not be interchangable looking at them so I would imagine if possable it would be a costly endevour.
koshari

Re: steering wheel

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Somewhere in the dim, dark recesses of my mind, in the shadow copy of the NTN forum database, is the recollection that someone tried similar with a steering wheel from a Lancer. IIRC, it was possible....

PS: I've changed the title of this thread so people will know what it's about.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Swap ML Steering Wheel for MN

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Unbelievable. Tex the omnipotent. :mrgreen:

I'll merge them since they're on the same topic.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gunny2380 on Tue May 06, 2014 4:16 pm

HI,
I have the same issue with the 2013 Triton. I have installed an aftermarket head unit which states that the steering wheel controls will work with ant CANbus system. I understand Triton use Canbus. I bought a switch set and installed into the blank space on the steering wheel and connected the wires as directed to the new head unit but nothing works.
The head unit has 3 wires GRND, KEY1 and KEY2. There were 2 wires going into the remote plug at the back of the factory fitted radio. I assume they come from the steering wheel contols(?).
Does anyone know where to go from here??? Is there a wiring diagram available for the Triton?
Thanks
gunny1380
gunny2380

Postby rodeddy on Tue May 06, 2014 6:42 pm

MN 2013 Triton wiring for radio/cd. Shows only the 14 pin plug. Has no connection with steering wheel controls etc. The other plug is a 22 pin plug.

the two plugs on the back. The left has 14 pins and has nothing to do with steering wheel controls.
The right plug has 22 pins and has all the connections fo steering wheel controls.
looking at the 22 pin plug from top left to right - pins are numbered 21 through to 42 (22 pins). Pin 31 red/yellow and pin 42 red/white are for steering wheel controls. ie pin 31 is last pin on the right top and 42 is last pin on btm right ... The others relate to hands free voice activation etc

wiring for steering wheel controls (22 pin plug)

gunny2380 wrote:HI,
I have the same issue with the 2013 Triton. I have installed an aftermarket head unit which states that the steering wheel controls will work with ant CANbus system. I understand Triton use Canbus. I bought a switch set and installed into the blank space on the steering wheel and connected the wires as directed to the new head unit but nothing works.
The head unit has 3 wires GRND, KEY1 and KEY2. There were 2 wires going into the remote plug at the back of the factory fitted radio. I assume they come from the steering wheel contols(?).
Does anyone know where to go from here??? Is there a wiring diagram available for the Triton?
Thanks
gunny1380
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Top post rodeddy
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby harvster on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Hey Guys, I'm trying to get the steering wheel controls working, but can't get the column covers apart.

Got the 3 screws out but can't work out how to separate the claws on the top and bottom sections of the steering wheel column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
harvster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bmc8712 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Ijust did it on my MN GLR works a treat!!

Theres room near the stalks to pry it open, get yourself some automotive trim pry tools alot better than stabbing away with a flat blade screw driver!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7pc-Nylon-No ... 85f&_uhb=1

harvster wrote:Hey Guys, I'm trying to get the steering wheel controls working, but can't get the column covers apart.

Got the 3 screws out but can't work out how to separate the claws on the top and bottom sections of the steering wheel column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bmc8712

Postby harvster on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:09 am

I ended up using an old hacksaw blade pry them apart and then put the fat Bunnings pry tools in.
I think the Bunnings pry tools are more like crow bars

Finally got the job done and controls working.
harvster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Stoneman

Postby koshari on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:20 am

Wow. How primative. Just uses different resistance values between pins 31 & 42!

so just a couple of queries regarding the MN possibility of utilising this,

- it would appear that the clock spring on both the ML and MN are identical going off part numbers, this would suggest both ribbons in each clock spring ribbon contains both the 4 conductors for the SRS (airbag housed in the yellow connector with 2 of the 4 possible wires populated) and the 6 connectors in the black plug with in the case off the non steering wheel controls the 2ns and 3rd from right being unpopulated?

-the headunit in the glxr ML and MN also like the same with the while multi connector which would suggest the headunit is capable with being controlled via steering controls?

-would anyone who has acquired the switches be able to post the different resistances on the unit for all 5 functions (vol up, vol down ch up ch down and mode ) so i could test these before progressing any further on my ML?

meanwhile i may have to look into a switch like the auscruise one that i could use to attach to the ML wheel that doesnt have the areas adjacent to the airbag cover to mount some controls.
cheers
koshari

Postby dirtworm on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:52 am

hi all , I am new here so thanks for your patience. I have just picked up a 2012 GLX that does not have Steering wheel controls. I bought the OEM switched and fitted them in about 3 mins flat. They have power and light up when the head lights are turned on.
The std head unit in this GLX is the double DIN and has a 16 pin pug into the main harness.
I am getting an SWC control unit but I need to find out which signal wires come from the steering wheel switches and which pin number in which plug at the bottom of the steering column. I will post this set up for other users once I have the correct wiring.
dirtworm

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:03 am

Have you looked at the workshop manual? It's full of wiring diagrams (among other things).

One problem with the radios is that there have been different ones here to what they have overseas and the manuals come from overseas for the most part. The wiring from the steering wheel should be the same though.

http://mmc-autoelectric.org.ua/manuals/eur/l200/2012/index_M1.htm
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Look up about 12 posts
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dirtworm on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:23 am

Big thank you to andriesvdv for the details above. My 2012 GLX does not have the small white Plug. My head unit had a 16 pin plug and the factory double din head unit does not have remote capabilities.

NO BIG DEAL, my new head unit is a Clarion NX404AU double din unit that has an input for steering wheel controls( 3.5mm SWI socket). My solution was to add a PAC- SWI-RC. I found a unit for$89.00 on the net.
I was quoted by two separate Pirates $285.00 - $350 to install with No guarantee it will work.
The website for PAC has no Tritons/ L200 or anything else close listed and they offer very little help but refer you to the above mentioned Pirates. I ordered the PAC-SWI-RC on line and it arrived with an inch thick pile of instructions that are only supplied in the box to cause complete confusion.

I you follows Andries instructions in the above post, remove the steering column shroud, the yellow and black plugs are at the underside of the clock spring. I used 2 crimp pins I got from Jaycar for (part number HM3410) These pins fitted directly into the two empty spots in the black plug at the base of the clock spring. I used a WHITE wire and any other colour wire (Black), and ran these two wire down the steering column over two the fuse box.

The PAC- SWI-RC mentions many time about having to add resistors and BLAH BLAH which just scared the pants off me as I have the brains of an indoor plant when it comes to electronics.

The SWI needs a power supply which I just happened to find conveniently available in the plug of the electrical mirrors. You need and Earth which again conveniently available on the bracket holding the whole fuse box. I mention running a WHITE wire from the clock spring plug, this WHITE wire needs to be soldered to the WHITE wire of the SWI unit. The other "any coloured" wire from the clock spring plug needs to go to ground. TA DA that all, no resistors, no other crap to freak out about.
The programming of the PAC SWI-RC took a little trial and error due to the vague instructions but I Can help if any one takes this option. All up it took me 2.5 hours and it works like a champion. Total cost, $121.00 for the OEM audio switch on the steering wheel, $89.00 for the PAC-SWI-RC, $1.10 for the plug socket an Pins from Jaycar.
dirtworm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion