Anything Triton related

Re: steering wheel audio controls

Postby Tritonchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:37 pm

josh_cod wrote:look here for how to post pictures: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2732

thanks mate
Tritonchad

Postby fraz91 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

SecondEye wrote:With Jamoglxrs comment on mismatched commands going to the head unit. I found sometimes my head unit gets skip forward and back mixed up. Till i give it a thump, so i think its shitty connections in that little button for me.

I get the same thing happening in my triton, however it's dependent on how far my steering wheel has turned. Sometimes it's Vol- = Voice Commands, other times I get skip back = vol -

Have asked for it to be checked time after time at each service, and it's only getting worse. Loose connections methinks.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Tritonchad on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm

are there any GLR owners with the audio controls installed?
Tritonchad

Postby mjrstar on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:59 am

My 09 glxr 2wd has a differed wheel to that pictured would it be possible to upgrade the wheel to one with buttons and control the new dig options head unit? Or is it likely that the clock spring does not have the correct connections.
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
04 Turbo airtrek (outlander)
96 Lancer evolution 4.
79 Toyota starlet race car.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Postby mjrstar on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:59 am

oops double post.. :?
Last edited by mjrstar on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
96 Lancer evolution 4.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Postby dan.batto on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14 am

Sounds like you have the last of the Ml's. I'm looking into after market/other steering wheel controls that may fit at the moment. I'm not in a rush for it, just a bonus if I can work something out. So don't expect a response quickly on this one ;). But EBay have one where it will learn the settings of your remote control and then use infrared to control your device.
Good luck with it!
dan.batto

Postby RMX on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 pm

One of the blokes on the PB Challenger forum has retrofitted steering wheel controls to his Challenger and his were plug and play, But the Challenger has a single din unit below the A/C unless fitted with MMCS.

As above, I'd check the back of the headunit.. It's possible the GLR headunit isn't wired for it or doesnt support it..

Thread here: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... stcount=11
The first XROX equipped Challenger.

XROX Bar and Sliders, HID's, 4 x HID Spotlights, Tinted, Lifted, Locked, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear drawer, fridge and 15" sub
RMX

Postby mjrstar on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:03 am

The new head unit is designed to take the audio controls though i don't know if the body loom would be fitted. If i attempt to find a later model steering wheel.
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
96 Lancer evolution 4.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Postby bmc8712 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:28 am

possibly a bit late.....bit im thinking of doing this mod (used to own a CJ lancer and a member of that forum), a few of the guys have had problems but not as frequent as what you guys are experiencing. Im mates with the main group buying guy and have been getting cheap mitsu bits through him.

wizards piss might help with the poor connections :lol: (CRC-2-26 its plastic safe too)

**the connector is there, 2012 MN GLR**
bmc8712

Postby ainsjac on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:48 pm

I am new to the forum and would like to know whether the GLXR audio controls on the wheel will fit my 2012 GLX without any trouble? What about the bluetooth controls as well?
ainsjac

Postby Robmurray on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am

ainsjac wrote:I am new to the forum and would like to know whether the GLXR audio controls on the wheel will fit my 2012 GLX without any trouble? What about the bluetooth controls as well?

My question as well except I have 2013 GLX only. Think I may try and find the lancer at a wreckers and pinch it off there and give it a go. From the Challenger post it looks like you just lever the cover off gently then plug the harness straight in.

Some have said you need to program the radio to accept the steering wheel controls, I have no idea how to do that however, and the poster didnt mention how to do it either.

Ill let you know how I go, and please let me know if you get a solution as well.

Cheers
Rob
Robmurray

Postby ainsjac on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks Rob...looking forward to your experiment and result.
ainsjac

Postby Mick H on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the info on the boards ive found a heap of info all ready.

Can any one tell me Please if the above audio control kit will fit the Triton ute ive just bought. its a 2011 MN MY11 GLX Triton, the stearing wheel look very simular to tritonchads above except the buttons on the lower left hand side. Ive tried to find a contact button on the ClubCJ site but counldnt ??

I really want it for the phone controls ie to answer and hang up but the audio volume ect is cool too.

Thanks Guys in advanced for you responses

Regards Mick
Mick H

Postby Mick H on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the info on the boards ive found a heap of info all ready.

Can any one tell me Please if the above audio control kit will fit the Triton ute ive just bought. its a 2011 MN MY11 GLX Triton, the stearing wheel look very simular to tritonchads above except the buttons on the lower left hand side. Ive tried to find a contact button on the ClubCJ site but counldnt ??

I really want it for the phone controls ie to answer and hang up but the audio volume ect is cool too.

Thanks Guys in advanced for you responses

Regards Mick
Mick H

Postby Mick H on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Bugger thought someone might know :(

Anyone know a contact for the ClubCJ

Cheers Mick
Mick H

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:36 pm

My recollection is that on that site you have to have a certain number of posts up before you can send messages and stuff.

I didn't actually understand your question so perhaps that's the reason no one answered. You have to make it easy for people. So stick up a photo of what you have and a photo of what you want (steal it from somewhere else on the forum) and I reckon you've got a better shot of someone replying.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mick H on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Tritonchad wrote:Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture

Can Anyone tell me if they know if the above steering wheel controls (Audio controls) will work with my new work car its a 2011 GLX ??

Cheers in Advance

Mick
Mick H

Postby Fushie on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:31 am

Hey Guy
I got a question regarding the above mentioned steering wheel stereo controls. I have found a few places online that sell the controls new, such as:

http://mptuner.com.au/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=76

My understanding is that on the MN GLR and GLX that you can pop open the left cover on the steering wheel, find a plug for the audio controls and easily connect the controls. I believe that those controls do not connect to the stereo in the GLR and GLX.

What I was wondering was where those cables from the steering wheel run to, if any where. My ASSUMPTION is that they run to the location of the GLXR stereo (single DIN spot). Could anyone confirm this?

My basic intention is that when I get my GLR, I purchase these controls install them on the steering wheel. Then relocate the other end of the cables and harness to the higher Double DIN location on the GLR and install a DIG Options head unit that supports the steering wheel audio controls.

Has anyone been able to confirm the location of where the wiring harness runs to and if my intentions regarding the DIG Options head unit would work.

Any input etc is greatly appreciated :-)

Fushie
Fushie

Postby singlemalt72 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 pm

I have just done the same on my new 2013 GLX - I have plugged in the audio controls, but they aren't working. Before I go pulling apart the dash to see if there is wiring loom to plug in at the head unit (why wouldn't it all be plugged in at the factory???) I'm wondering if anyone has solved thus problem??

Cheers
singlemalt72

Postby Fushie on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 pm

They are different head units that are used in the GLXR (single DIN) where the GLR has it located up in the double DIN section. So so maybe their Double DIN unit does not support the steering wheel option. I'm not to sure what unit the GLX has.

Thats why I'm think the DIG Options head unit that does support the steering wheel control. I just need to find out where the wiring loom leads to, I assume near the single DIN slot but I haven't got my GLR yet so I cant check
Fushie

Postby Dalton on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Hey guys, just got my controls today and wanted to know if anyone got any further with this? There are two cables that appear unused In the factory head unit? (green & black) in the White connector, was thinking maybe that's for the controls, the other end of the cables has a plug on it but nothing going into that plug, had a bit of a dig around but I couldn't find a plug that fits anywhere. I've tried to trace the cable from the steering wheel to under the dash but I think the cable has a colour change between the wheel and the column and will need belling out.. I didn't like the idea of slicing into cables to bell them as I don't know what the air bag will do :p. Does anybody know where/what
colours the steering controls are meant to be, they are white, black, grey, and purple at the wheel, from memory. Purple is probably dash lights, and black ground...
Dalton

Postby andriesvdv on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:46 pm

I just managed steering wheel audio controls to work on my GLX, will take some snaps and probably post over the weekend :) :)
andriesvdv

Postby Dalton on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 pm

andriesvdv wrote:I just managed steering wheel audio controls to work on my GLX, will take some snaps and probably post over the weekend :) :)

Thats awesome news mate, very keen to get them working in my GLX.
I think we'll all owe you a beer after you post up a how-to :)
Dalton

Postby Juggz on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm pretty bloody keen to see how to get this working :lol:
Juggz

Postby andriesvdv on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 pm

For this exercise I removed the following:
• Steering upper and lower covers
• Lower panel assembly

• Central lower panel assembly
Note: the illustrations are not the exact images!!!
Once these are removed a white plug with two wires can be located – It has a Black wire and Green wire with a Brown strip- connected to it.

At the bottom of the steering column you will see two plugs: a yellow plug and a black plug. The black plug is for the audio controls, you will notice it seems to be missing two wires - these two wires simply have to be connected to the white plug mentioned above.

Connection to the white plug was done by cutting the wires and soldering two extensions to it:

The other end of extensions goes to the black plug under the steering column:

I stripped the wires back about 10mm and (with the plug disconnected) inserted them into the lug openings of the plug (due to the lack of crimp terminals) and re fitted the plug. You do not have to worry about polarity, as it seems to be a resistive array (I have swapped them, with no difference noticed)

Note: This worked for the stock 2DIN Head Unit of my MY2013 GLX
andriesvdv

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion