Selecting 4wd issue

Anything Triton related

Selecting 4wd issue

Postby bombers77 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my GLX-R ML Triton. When I go from 2wd to 4wd H, after a couple of minutes a loud crunch and a bit of a shudder comes from the front wheels. Happens also when turning in 4wd. Any ideas?

thanks
bombers77

Re: Selecting 4wd issue

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 am

Are you driving on the road? Super Select or Easy Select??
ML-VR08

Postby bombers77 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:29 am

Was driving on sand. Have an easy select.
bombers77

Postby snowman on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 pm

there is a bit of an unknown problem with super select, however with easy select it sounds like you might have windup, but on sand that would be hard to develop.

are you sure you are not on hard packed surfaces when you remove it from 4wd ? it is also best to try and disengage when you are going straight.

you will have windup when it feels like the handbrake is on when you try and drive. only real option to getting rid of it (other than being in soft surface) is to turn in the opposite direction to the windup (i.e. opposite to the last turn you did before you took it out of gear). some people try to drive over bumps etc to break traction on a wheel as well.

the shudder it a bit of an issue and you would not normally get that in 4wd on sand so you might have bigger issues.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bombers77 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

It generally happens within a minute of engaging 4wd. Never happened when disengaging. Although it says you can engage 4wd while moving, I always come to a stop first before engaging 4wd.

cheers for the advice
bombers77

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Hmmm weird really, i have easy select and i have never really needed it in the sand but have occasionally, and never found there to be a problem... do you take ur foot off the loud pedal when engaging 4wd? Its def windup that you have, but not sure how/why if your on sand... :?
ML-VR08

Postby fridgie on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Seeing as you come to a stop... I'm wondering if it's actually engaging before you take off? Could be that you take off and it finally engages causing the problem :?
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby snowman on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:03 pm

fridgie wrote:Seeing as you come to a stop... I'm wondering if it's actually engaging before you take off? Could be that you take off and it finally engages causing the problem :?

Yes you might have a vacuum problem and it actually does not engage until you add RPM (hence after you drive off) and then engages on the move?

My MK made some horrific noises doing this and it was a cracked vacuum hose.

check vacuum hoses. Maybe try some revs when stationary whilst engaging and then drive off and see what happens.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bombers77 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Might have to give the vacuum hoses a look over. Come to think of it, the 4wd symbol will stop flashing and then start flashing again after I strat moving. I'm assuming this must be when it drops out again after initially engaging?
bombers77

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Check the transfer case fluid level too. Had a lot of issues at one stage, keeping and changing into awd and 4wd. Found the fluid was at 1/2 level. Just a thought to check.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby bolt on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am

I have same issue
ML triton once 4wd is engaged even with out moving after awhile the ute will start to shudder,

I wonder if bombers77 sorted his problem.
bolt

Postby bolt on Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:15 pm

I fixed my problem. it was a missing bolt on the transfer case joining transfer case to chassis cross member.
replaced the bolt and all my problems where gone.
bolt

Return to General Discussion