How many Tritons have really bent their chassis??

Anything Triton related

How many Tritons have really bent their chassis??

Postby hayesy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 pm

I've just finished reading an article in the latest Overlander magazine and two of their so called experts have included in their top five 4WD failures as late model Tritons bending their chassis.

I've read the threads that air bags and so forth contribute to this but I wanted to know just how many Tritons have really bent their chassis?? How many Tritons do members or friends of this forum know have bent their chassis?

I have just finished a 7 week trip to the Cape and admit our vehicle was probably on the wrong side of its GVM and we did some minor damage to the rear of the cab and front of the tub because of the chassis flex. I have seen the threads on this before. However this has been repaired and there is no permanent damage to the chassis from what I can tell.
hayesy
hayesy

Re: How many Tritons have really bent their chassis??

Postby Tony on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

This has more or less been covered here, not as many as you may think. ;) I know plenty here including my self that abuse these great vehicles with in their limits with no failures to speak. The longer tub on the MN obviously does put more stress with towing as acts a bit like a pendulum in effect. :lol:

Mine does twist and flex allot, but touch wood, it hasn't bent as yet. We carry up to 750Kgs, have LR tank and tow a 2.5 ton extended angle load horse float. now near 100,000K 8-)
I have a well set up ultimate suspension with no bags and ARB rear Bar. (The said bar has has a minor issue as we lost it once when the bolts sheared off :o )
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hayesy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Tony I know the topics of bent chassis and chassis flex has been covered here. There is not much that hasn't been covered on this forum! I was looking more at the number of known bent ones if possible. I just thought if any one knew, the people on here would.

After reading this article it just made me wonder if there were more than I thought. And I have just ordered a camper trailer and really couldn't afford a bent chassis as well!!
hayesy
hayesy

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm

We do hear about some, but not all. From what I understand this is something that affects all dual cab utes and numbers of bent ones are roughly in proportion to the numbers sold, for each brand.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mattz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:32 pm

hayesy wrote:
I've read the threads that air bags and so forth contribute to this but I wanted to know just how many Tritons have really bent their chassis?? How many Tritons do members or friends of this forum know have bent their chassis?

None.......zip........zilch ;) apart from the ones I've heard about on hear.
But my brother has bent his navara chassis. :roll:
I think the triton got a bad reputation because of one person who made it go viral over the net through many different forums to make a point. :roll:
So everyone heard about it through the net or word of mouth...... some people would hear about it from 2or 3 different sources and not realise it was the same one they were referring to :roll: ........that's why tritons bend chassis. :roll:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm

I think there's been more than one. I'm sure I remember hearing about some from a hire joint where they were putting camper pods on the back. But airbags seemed to be the common theme and the reality is that there are plenty of guys on here that have given them plenty of stick without any adverse outcomes (well at least not busted chassis anyway).
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:43 pm

I have seen several dual cab Tritons around Brisbane that appear to have bent chassis. Invariably these are tradies vehicles with aftermarket full (or near to) size aluminium trays with two MASSIVE toolboxes down either sides of the tray extending way past where the OEM tray finishes, no doubt chockers with tools and then fully laden ladder racks.
The angle of the tray versus the lines of the cab indicate the stress that the chassis is under!

It Will happen because these vehciles are NOT DESIGNED to carry crazy loads!
Froggy

Postby hvac guy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Got it in one people seem to think dual cabs are like a single cab cruiser
Load it up and she will be right, I've herd more nivaras than tritons.
From tradesman.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm not aware of a single Triton that has a bent chassis that happened operating under specified load limits or without another factor like airbags.

I have pushed my vehicle reasonably hard and know others on this forum that push much harder and am yet to see anyone do chassis damage under normal circumstances.

If you want a vehicle with a large towing capacity or to load ridiculous amounts in the tub you really only have two choices in a dual cab and they are the Landcruiser and the Land Rover Defenders.
coxy47

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Maybe this will put it in perspective. I've lifted the text of a post on 4x4 Earth:

HI GUYS,
I repair bent 4x4 chassis for a living, so i probably shouldn't write this post as 80% of my work comes from the fitment of air bags.
But i feel i need to help out my Earth freinds so hear goes.
We buy these 4x4s ,load them to the gunnels then wack a fully loaded camper trailer(maybe another three tonne )on the towball and serprise! the ass and is sagging. Well i'll just wack some air bags in,takes the load of the springs they say.
So wear dose the load go ???
straight on to the chassis
I've had 4x4s dragged in to work from all parts of this wide brown land at huge cost to their owners due to over loading and air bags ,some bent beyond repair with the towbar at 30 deg. bellow parallel.
The utes are the worst (Hilux,Triton,Navara,Ranger-bt50)with their flimsy 2 mm thick rear chassis.How they have a three tonne towing cap. is beyond me.Had a ford ranger just the other day cracked near threw at the bump stops.
Patrols- while the chassis are fairly strong their weak point is their rear spring mounts,they bend up into the floorpan, busting brakelines on the way&bending the body.
Defenders- (don't get me started.what a pile of sh!t) while they might look strong they are not. bending & cracking at the shocker mounts.
Land Cruisers -haven't had a bent one yet (gess what i drive).

Hope this opens a can of worms , there's alot to be said about over loading 4x4s makeing dangerous& unroadworthy...air bags don't solve the problem-if you won't to carry five tonne buy a truck.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby hvac guy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Nuff said!!!!
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:14 pm

nice little find 5th.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Well maybe my comment about the Land Rovers was premature :oops:
coxy47

Postby mattz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:40 pm

coxy47 wrote:I'm not aware of a single Triton that has a bent chassis that happened operating under specified load limits or without another factor like airbags.

I have pushed my vehicle reasonably hard and know others on this forum that push much harder and am yet to see anyone do chassis damage under normal circumstances.

If you want a vehicle with a large towing capacity or to load ridiculous amounts in the tub you really only have two choices in a dual cab and they are the Landcruiser and the Land Rover Defenders.

You forgot to add the ford F truck. ;)
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Tony on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm

I call BS on the land Rover,(Typical Toyota owner comment there). Again, would be abuse with people using them as an ice breaker like the original posters concerns on the Triton
Have you seen how I treat my Rover and it is bagged too. :roll: Yes the chassis is a milder box section and can be dinted with a direct hit, but at least they dont explode like some of the Jap crap. :roll: We have cruisers here, have broken the chassis on all bar the older ultimate sprung 75series. (Very good vehicle) The newer cruisers have a much thinner chassis and longer wheal base so significantly more prone to chassis issues. :roll: Tried patrols in the early 2000, all of them had chassis failure and also ripped the rear spring turrets out. (there is a fix for the latter issue) None were beefed up, nor were overloaded aside of the 89 model Landy I still have here.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 pm

mattz wrote:You forgot to add the ford F truck. ;)

Yep, it bends too
Click to view larger picture

As do Land Rovers

My point, to OP and others, is that they ALL bend if subjected to improper loading or stress. I really don't know why the journalists of this country seem to have such a hate on Mitsubishi. Maybe their lunches aren't lavish enough? The bottom line though is that all too much is made of these failures and fingers get pointed by people who are probably better qualified to be covering Saturday morning's Under 11's soccer match.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Tony on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 pm

FFS, look what the Landy has on its back, is also on an extended chassis. :shock:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Tony wrote:I call BS on the land Rover,.

Hit a nerve there.......didn't he. :lol:
The rant thread is over there :?
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm

I think the last line sums it up... "if you won't to carry five tonne buy a truck" pretty strait forward ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Tony on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

:lol: :lol: I leave it here. :roll:

Typical forum induced scare tactics. :roll: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hymie on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:

Yep, it bends too

Try bending this one :lol:

People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Hymie wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:

Yep, it bends too

Try bending this one :lol:

With the right load you can bend anything all it does is shift the goal posts :twisted:
coxy47

Postby al coholic on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:56 am

I think everyone should send a nice email to the editors of this mag explaining that they have no clue :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 am

Why bother Overlander is run/owned by EMG, so it was written by a 20 year old with the investigational quals/skills from a cereal box.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby deermaster on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:04 am

I know of one Triton dual cab that the bloke bent the chassis, BUT, they had an aftermarket large alloy tray on it loaded to the gunnels with too much heavy stuff to the rear. (You should know how to arrange a load properly IMHO) to top it off he had an overloaded trailer on the back with two quads and fuel oil etc etc and was hitting washouts at speed. Naturally something had to give. :roll:
Fools can stuff up the best designed stuff no matter what. Like one chap said, you want to carry five tonnes, then buy a five tonne truck. :lol:
deermaster

Next

Return to General Discussion