How many Tritons have really bent their chassis??

Anything Triton related

Re: How many Tritons have really bent their chassis??

Postby ag9111 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Yeah
I run airbags for over 5 years and 165,000km, under some very heavily loaded situations.
Airbags should be used to assist the leaf springs, not take over from the springs.
I had HD springs and never went over 8 or so psi.
I never towed with them.
Only idiots would run the 15 to 20 psi that i have heard some do
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 am

Here is a nice pic from the PS forum.Click to view larger picture

crash486
Crash486

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:45 am

Just look at all the mass levering on the chassis. :lol:

Dumb to think those camper modules would work with anyone's chassis, on our roads with random drivers who probably never drive anything other than a hatch back on perfect roads in Europe.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 am

Just noticed the odd wheels (front to back). Suggests they needed stronger wheels up back, maybe being aware that they've already overloaded the rear end.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 pm

I would happily have one of those, I wonder if they sell them cheap after they bend a chassis. I would just slow right down and let my tyres down offroad.. Last year I took a trailer up north with slipper springs. After a surf I mentioned how rough the road was and that I didn't go over 60 and spent a few kays at about 10kph on the way in. I was met with laughter and a comment of "you need to go much faster and skim over the top of the corrugations". 5 minutes later the same person said they were going back into town in the morning as they had bulges in the sidewalls of 3 out of 4 tyres. I couldn't be bothered informing the person that if you had slowed down and taken half an hour longer you would've saved yourself a days trip to get new tyres as well as spending ~$900. If people treat there own cars like that its no surprising rental cars end up with bent chassis
bodia

Postby srb on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:08 am

This recently happened my mates dual cab MN, whilst crossing the Simpson..

Luckily for him it's been declared a write off from his insurance company, but only after months of anxious waiting and wondering. He knew he was close to GVM, but definitely not over it, nothing wrong with his setup, had a light weight alloy tray and half canopy with all his heavy camping gear forward and or just over the rear axle.
Wasn't towing and had no air bags, just HD Ultimate shocks and springs.

Apparently the insurance accessor noted that the rear suspension had been hitting the bump stops, luckily couldn't find any fault with the setup.

My first thoughts were drive error but he assured me that he was driving to the conditions, I believe him.
Non of these dual cabs are built to carry their max gvm loads on harsh tracks like the Simpson.. Certainly not long term without chassis modifications.

My advice to the good people on this forum.. if you have any brand of dual cab 4wd, and you wanna do some serious outback touring with heavy loads.. get your chassis strengthened!!

He's now looking to buy 200 series wagon.. luckily he has no use for a ute anymore.Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Just thought I'd add a bent gladiator. Full details on > https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6840902469

This gladiator owner had shocks installed that were TOO LONG, causing the shock to be used as a bumpstop. The shock mounts are on the “weakest” part of the frame. Add this, with hitting the dunes and a trailer, you’re gonna have a bad day.
Click to view larger picture

Crash486
Crash486

Postby WarbyD on Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:30 pm

Crash486 wrote:Just thought I'd add a bent gladiator. Full details on > https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6840902469

This gladiator owner had shocks installed that were TOO LONG, causing the shock to be used as a bumpstop. The shock mounts are on the “weakest” part of the frame. Add this, with hitting the dunes and a trailer, you’re gonna have a bad day.
Click to view larger picture

Crash486

I wonder if the miniature lion hiding under there had anything to do with it? Trailer overloaded with gazelle to keep it fed?
WarbyD

Previous

Return to General Discussion