All terrain tyres - Discussion

Anything Triton related

Re: All terrain tyres - Discussion

Postby srb on Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:55 am

Jase, the open country at2 that you're inquiring about are a great tyre from what I've seen and heard. My old man just put them on his Suzuki Vitara, he loves them so far, reporting they're great on the lumpy country roads and gravel.

I really don't think you can go too wrong with any of the well known brands, tyres have improved a fair bit in the last 10years.Tyre opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

Stick to a well known brand and look after them... Tyre longevity will really depend on how you drive, the weight of your vehicle, tyre pressure, and the time frame.

Always check the date of manufacture on the side wall when your tyre shop fits them, they might already be old stock, this might only be a problem if you do small kms per year. Remember, tyres only have a life of 3- 5 years no matter how little wear and tear.

In my case, I change my tyres every 2 to 3 years. I'm currently running Maxxis razr MT 772 both on the Triton and the Cruiser, I'm lucky to get to get 40% tread wear out of the tyres on the Cruiser before I'm out of time, I then sell them and get fresh ones.
The Triton gets driven more and I've got 35k kms on this set in just over a year and a half. Even though the these tyres still have plenty of tread depth, about 60% worn, they're certainly not performing like new. I'll be selling them in about 6months. I do this because I like fresh rubber, no good if they're not performing like new in my opinion, especially mud tyres.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 pm

Just had a rude awakening with my BFG AT s. Always had BFGs and always got great mileage, but this last lot 52000klms and their stuffed. Went to get them rotated and found big splits down the center of the tyres between the treads. So dangerous. Chap at Bob Jane rang someone from BFG not sure who and they didn't want to know about it, he is however going to pursue it and get onto someone else. He also said that BFG are not made in the states now, so I suppose their probably inferior quality. I finished up getting a set of Falcon Wild Peaks as they are supposed to be good and wear well. Will see what happens but the strange noise that sounded like a bearing noise, has now gone and runs quiet like it is supposed to. So the splits in the tyres must have been causing that noise. I even got my mobile mechanic to check my bearings before I changed the tyres and he said they were good, so it was the flaming tyres. That has finished me with BFGs after all the years of running them
deermaster

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:59 pm

I know that lots of people swear by their BFGs but my one experience didn't leave me impressed and I've heard, but not really verified what @deermaster says.

FWIW, I only managed <40,000km from Bridgestone D697s in the Pajero (after a great run in the Triton) but these were the "upgraded" ones and I understand that they've fixed the issues of heavy wear and inability to take the heavier weight. I changed to Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 ATs (similar to Cooper AT3 which are the same tyre with a very slightly different tread) and nearly 60,000km later they're only about half worn. Almost as grippy as the soft compound Bridgestones, quieter (even half worn), better balance and good steering response. Mickey Thompson have gone to just about only competition tyres now, but I'll stick with the Cooper brand.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Duck on Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 am

I have 80k on my bfg ko2 at, they are getting close to finished but seems the ko3’s have no delivery date in Aus.
$1500 for new tyres !!! More then I paid for my first Gemini.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

I'm at the point where I'm checking options to replace my Fun bags. First set gave me nearly 130kand were replaced mainly due to age, harder ride and less grip on wet roads. My second set now have three approaching seven years and strangely, one at five years. Again hardness and grip are main reason for retirement.

From reviews I'm considering Maxxis & Fallen, but money tree has to bear some fruit first. lol.

One thing I've really been impress with the Fun Bags is that they never gone out of balance during their working life.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion