All terrain tyres - Discussion

Anything Triton related

Re: All terrain tire help.

Postby Brent1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 am

All the high mileage users and manufacturers speak of when they refer to the tyre life, is it effected greatly by where you drive? I too will upgrade to AT's as soon as my stock ones wear out and like the idea of getting 75-100,000 km from a set if I'm spending a few bob. However when people say they get 100,000km I'm wondering if that involves a lot of off road work at lower speed in softer conditions. My car will spend a good 90% of its time on road as my daily driver but when I see a bit of mud I don't really want poor grip either so an AT is what I want. I'm just curious to know whether I won't achieve the high mileages spoken of though because most of the running is on tar. I understand that this is much like the, "how long is a piece of string" argument as well though and apologize if this has been covered
Brent1

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am

Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought high speed straight line road work would see a tyre last longer. I gather high pressures can improve longevity too?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Brent1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought high speed straight line road work would see a tyre last longer. I gather high pressures can improve longevity too?

I have no idea. I just wondered whether all the work on hard surfaces instead of softer surfaces may increase wear, but as you say maybe more rolling momentum and higher tyre pressures might have the opposite effect? Oh well, if you're right it will only be better for me :-)
Brent1

Postby Hymie on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm no tyre expert but from what I know the higher the tyre pressure the less rolling resistance the tyre has however if you go too high what than happens is the due to the high pressure of compressed air there is very little movement in the side walls so as you drive the air inside the tyre heats up quickly causing the rubber to heat up unnecessarily. The hotter the rubber gets the quicker it wears. Also with the high pressure you end up with the centre of the tyre wearing out quicker.

Now if you put too little air in the rolling resistance is higher and there is a lot more movement in the side walls which heats up the rubber etc etc. If you are off road and the speeds are low you can lower your pressure without adversely affecting the tyre because everything is done so much slower which equals less heat in the tyre.

When manufacturers achieve high mileage out of there tyres it is done at optimum pressures and also due to the fact the have a much thicker tread depth so a lot more rubber to wear down, they also insist you have your tyres balanced and rotated every 5000km.

Now it comes down to personal preference as to how you like your car to handle as to what pressures you run. A little bit more grip can be achieved from a lower pressure but if you are carrying more weight you will need more pressure.

So how long is that piece of string now?
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Lol! Thanks for all the info Hymie. The string is lengthening! ;-) But yes, by the sounds of things bitchumen running shouldn't adversely effect the wear if you keep your tyres at the proper pressures I gather from what you say. Although getting them balanced every 5,000km sounds like a chore lol! That all makes sense
Brent1

Postby GLR2012 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Alright so ive thought long and hard about it. I am finally pleased to say i will be getting the Bridgestont 697 265 70 16. By far the best service and price i could get is around 250 a tire fitted balanced anbd aligned from bridgestone at coopers plains. Reasons why, free rotate and balance every 5000km to maximise tire life. the best price by a long way, BFS similar size 335 fitted balanced, goodyear wranglers 350 fitted balanced, mikey T 320 fitted balanced so on and so on. Also fitting the other tires i dont get a free rotate and balance every 5000km or anything like that. The main drawing points were the price, and free rotate and balance. They have just as an aggressive tread pattern as the other main brands so i couldnt be happier.

On another note, could i get peoples feedback on the standard tires the HT 840's what kms people got out of them, im a carpenter and tow monday to friday a 7x5 trailer. Ive rotated and balanced the tires about every 12000kms and will be lucky to see 45000kms out of them, did any of you guys get similar life or shorter or longer, the reason im asking is because they are about a 360 tire and expected more out of them thats all......................
GLR2012

Postby KRBMN on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 pm

GLR2012 I had 58000kms out of my HT 840's would of got maybe another 10000kms if they had of been rotated more often, replaced them with Bridgestone 697 245 65r 17s at $297 per tyre, so $250 sounds like a good price. pretty happy with them only done about 2000klms so far, they make more road noise than 840 though, good compromise but.
found the same other tyres were way over priced
KRBMN

Looking for an all terrain

Postby mnbrodie on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi my Goodyear wranglers mt are on there way out and I'm after a all terrian, I found most of the ones I've seen are near road tyres, trying to find some with a bit of a side lug and decent tread pattern, don't want to go past 330 a corner

Thanks
mnbrodie

Re: Looking for a all terrian

Postby Joel on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Been pretty happy with the toyo open country at2s can pick up as cheap as 265 a corner
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Minza on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Hey mnbrodie,
What size tyre you running? I have the bfg A/T Ko's on mine,not noisy on the road and perform reasonably well off road, have seen them on special for under $270 a corner this is for 265 16's though.
Minza

Postby mnbrodie on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 pm

I will have a look at those tyres thanks and 265/75/16
mnbrodie

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I'll be getting Cepek Fun countries again when the time comes.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 am

I'm running Kumho AT51, they are nice and quiet on-road, and good in dry off-road. Like most AT's, they are not the best mud tyre.

http://www.kumho.com.au/tyres/4x4/road-venture-at51/
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2ENIL8 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:20 am

I am running Cooper St Maxx in 265/65/17, have done about 20,000 kms on them and are more than happy with them. They are a 50/50 tyre the same as the BF KO'2, they cost me about $365 a corner.
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Geoff3DMN on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:19 am

I'm running Maxxis AT980 tyres on my ute, I've been very happy with them.

They are chunkier than most of the All Terrain tyres around these days, they're not noisy on the road and they're wearing evenly and well and they're under $300 a corner.

Click to view larger picture
Last edited by Geoff3DMN on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Geoff3DMN wrote:I'm running Maxxis AT890 tyres on my ute, I've been very happy with them.

They are chunkier than most of the All Terrain tyres around these days, they're not noisy on the road and they're wearing evenly and well and they're under $300 a corner.

Click to view larger picture

+1 for the MAXXIS 980s
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby Maxiy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Got Dick Cepek trail countries on mine, have been great so far. $230 a corner
Maxiy

Re: Looking for an all terrain

Postby tacticaltriton on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Have a look at the Kelly Safari TSR. I had a real good run out of my set.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 75&t=73126
tacticaltriton

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:06 pm

tacticaltriton wrote:Have a look at the Kelly Safari TSR. I had a real good run out of my set.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 75&t=73126

As above, l don't have the ATR's but have the Kelly muddies TSR in 265/75/16, these are a pretty aggressive tread and surprisingly quiet on the road for a muddie, I do regret not going the ATR's though.

Edited: got my ATR's and STR's confused :?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ranga Tang on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 pm

I just did a rego check this morning and my D697's purchased in 2013 have now got 67,000 k's on it with about 6 months life.

So pretty damn good.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
Ranga Tang

Re: All terrain tyres - Discussion

Postby V6 Petrol on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Any updates on current AT tires/prices?
1st ute - 2nd owner! :D
V6 Petrol

Postby gentanoby on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 am

Glad I found this thread. I've been planning to buy mud tires this year. I've got great insights from this thread and decided to go on with my plan. I'll be acquiring Toyo all-terrain tires this month and I'll still be using the set of chrome wheels that I have since last year. Hopefully, I'll be able to focus and finish my setup.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove spam link
gentanoby

Postby deermaster on Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 pm

GLR2012 wrote:Alright so ive thought long and hard about it. I am finally pleased to say i will be getting the Bridgestont 697 265 70 16. By far the best service and price i could get is around 250 a tire fitted balanced anbd aligned from bridgestone at coopers plains. Reasons why, free rotate and balance every 5000km to maximise tire life. the best price by a long way, BFS similar size 335 fitted balanced, goodyear wranglers 350 fitted balanced, mikey T 320 fitted balanced so on and so on. Also fitting the other tires i dont get a free rotate and balance every 5000km or anything like that. The main drawing points were the price, and free rotate and balance. They have just as an aggressive tread pattern as the other main brands so i couldnt be happier.

On another note, could i get peoples feedback on the standard tires the HT 840's what kms people got out of them, im a carpenter and tow monday to friday a 7x5 trailer. Ive rotated and balanced the tires about every 12000kms and will be lucky to see 45000kms out of them, did any of you guys get similar life or shorter or longer, the reason im asking is because they are about a 360 tire and expected more out of them thats all......................

I used to get close to 100000from a set of BFG Mud Terrain but when they get down their noisey and don't hold the road so good. The BFG all terrains the last set I only got 70000 but I do run them a bit too low to get good wear. I bought Bridgestone all terrain and my trips to NT the rough bits through rough dirt roads they kept getting punctures from the rocks that tend to get sharp. I also tried Kumho Muddies and they were great in the mud, but after not many miles they wore out quickly and were noisy as hell. I had great wear from Goodyear can't remember the name but not grippy enough (and they don't make that tyre any more) for places I go. I spend a lot of time off road as well as heaps on bitumen as drive to NT every year and also to Cape York each year.
deermaster

Postby JaseM on Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:36 am

I'll be acquiring Toyo all-terrain tires this month

Are they the Open Country AT2s? How are the tyres holding up? I am looking at some A/T for my MQ and live off grid on a farm that has 4wd access only atm so I am looking for a suitable tyre that can handle for steep terrain, so mud (when el nina hits) and I do some highway driving every few weeks.
JaseM

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:50 pm

JaseM wrote:Are they the Open Country AT2s? How are the tyres holding up? I am looking at some A/T for my MQ

The post you replied to is two tears old and that member hasn't visited the forum since 4/2/2021.

If most of your driving is off-road then I'd be looking at a tyre something like the range from Cooper Tyres.

For example:
Screenshot_20230109_160326.jpg

The S/T MAXX is probably the best all rounder - good grip in wet or dry and super strong construction to resist damage from rocks or staking while still giving reasonable performance on road. Tyres like the STT PRO are great in the really serious stuff and mud, but a big compromise on-road. The RUGGED TREK might be suitable for you, too with a bit less compromise on-road than the STT PRO, but not as good as the S/T MAXX.

Personally I like Coopers and Mickey Thompson tyres because they're tough and they last exceptionally well. I'm currently running the MT Deegan 38 All Terrains and after 40,000km they've only worn about 4mm. Looks like they'll be good for 100,000km.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion