All terrain tyres - Discussion

Anything Triton related

Re: All terrain tire help.

Postby Mooons on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
chris_s wrote:Re comments by NowForThe5th
I state that the BFG AllTerrains can exceed 100,000km (I know four vehicles that have covered these distances with minimal chipping and cutting of treads).
You don't state any other tyre (brand) that does this but criticise my observations by saying they are misleading. How are they misleading - I am stating my observations on what I have seen and what other tyres appear to get - notably 50 - 70,000om seems a good run out of them.

Chris, my statement that your earlier post was misleading related not to the mileages attained but that you attributed this to 3 ply sidewalls. You will note that I said " the number of plys in the sidewall construction has little to do with mileages achieved.". I acknowledged that the BFGs do quite regularly get very high mileages by saying "Other brands are also capable of very high mileages" I did not criticise your observations, although you did not state that these were observations, rather than fact. Instead I simply pointed out that linking the number of sidewall plies to potential mileage is misleading and then went on to explain why, including giving an example. Might I suggest that you go back and read my whole post, rather than jumping to a conclusion and taking umbrage at something that I did not say.

Do I have personal experience with other brands? Sure. You may wish to follow the link that I provided in my second post in this thread. In the linked post I give details of personal experience with three sets of Cooper tyres that lasted in excess of 120,000km. I have heard anecdotal evidence on high mileages achieved by other brands as well, curiously all American brands, but without verification I wouldn't offer this in support, even though I have no reason to disbelieve the claims.

I feel it may just be the way you read it 5th as I could see what Chris was commenting on and didn't feel misled
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 am

If you want a tough tyre, then the Toyo M55 will be of interest.

This is the sort of tyre you'd expect to get high mileages and reduced puncture risk from. Bought by many of the mines for their vehicles for this very reason.

Were becoming popular with 4WDers until Toyo bumped the price up due to demand. Prices settling back down again and you should be able to get them for just over $300 a piece for 265/75/16.

Don't know how they handle, just know they are built to last, so a good touring tyre.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 am

Mooons wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:
chris_s wrote:Re comments by NowForThe5th
I state that the BFG AllTerrains can exceed 100,000km (I know four vehicles that have covered these distances with minimal chipping and cutting of treads).
You don't state any other tyre (brand) that does this but criticise my observations by saying they are misleading. How are they misleading - I am stating my observations on what I have seen and what other tyres appear to get - notably 50 - 70,000om seems a good run out of them.

Chris, my statement that your earlier post was misleading related not to the mileages attained but that you attributed this to 3 ply sidewalls. You will note that I said " the number of plys in the sidewall construction has little to do with mileages achieved.". I acknowledged that the BFGs do quite regularly get very high mileages by saying "Other brands are also capable of very high mileages" I did not criticise your observations, although you did not state that these were observations, rather than fact. Instead I simply pointed out that linking the number of sidewall plies to potential mileage is misleading and then went on to explain why, including giving an example. Might I suggest that you go back and read my whole post, rather than jumping to a conclusion and taking umbrage at something that I did not say.

Do I have personal experience with other brands? Sure. You may wish to follow the link that I provided in my second post in this thread. In the linked post I give details of personal experience with three sets of Cooper tyres that lasted in excess of 120,000km. I have heard anecdotal evidence on high mileages achieved by other brands as well, curiously all American brands, but without verification I wouldn't offer this in support, even though I have no reason to disbelieve the claims.

I feel it may just be the way you read it 5th as I could see what Chris was commenting on and didn't feel misled

Agreed. I knew what he meant. Not misleading at all. Punctuation is a fantastic tool :grin:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 am

I'm just surprised at the vastly different reviews of BFG's.

I'd say 90% call them very bad to dangerous in the wet and 10% call them sensational :?

Makes you think there are 2 different supplies as I've heard there can be in other tyre brands?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby trumpy955 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 am

I had bfg's on my old 2.8 hilux years ago. I have to admit as they wore down, I could get them to slide around in the wet, although I didn't ever have weight in the back just a canopy. But it was a pretty underpowered ute so that isn't great , but geez they did ok off road
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby DocBassett on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:57 am

Homer wrote:I'm just surprised at the vastly different reviews of BFG's.

I'd say 90% call them very bad to dangerous in the wet and 10% call them sensational :?

Makes you think there are 2 different supplies as I've heard there can be in other tyre brands?

The secrets of the tyre world have just been revealed! :O i drove 500km in the rain at night last weekend with no dramas. Having said that, my bfgs are up front and wranglers in the back. Even my misus drove for a few hours. And as much as i love the dear, her driving is terrible. We survived though. So they cant be too bad. She even sat on 130km/hr most the way.
DocBassett

Postby snowman on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 am

DocBassett wrote:The secrets of the tyre world have just been revealed! :O i drove 500km in the rain at night last weekend with no dramas. Having said that, my bfgs are up front and wranglers in the back. Even my misus drove for a few hours. And as much as i love the dear, her driving is terrible. We survived though. So they cant be too bad. She even sat on 130km/hr most the way.

they are all OK Doc, until you have to turn or stop. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chris_s on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 am

LOL - Agreed - it depends on where you put the emphasis when you read something. Put the comma in the right (or wrong) spot and the whole meaning changes.
I didn't mean the sidewalls contributed to a longer lasting tyre - just appears to take be able to take greater hammering from sticks, rocks and other things that like to do damage to sidewalls.

Re BFG All terrains in the wet when worn down after about 60,0000km. I do find them slide a bit when taking off quickly or cornering. Once you become aware of this, then drive accordingly (ie slow down a bit, don't put your foot to the floor when taking off, give ample braking room with the car in front, etc). I think the rubber compound hardens a bit and isn't as grippy as it once was. Perhaps this hardening of the compound attributes to the longer wear?
chris_s

Postby kevin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 am

^ may be onto something re "hardening" there!

I've done 38K on BFG AT in the Triton and wet handling is no issue at all.

I'm on my 2nd set of BFG AT on the Forester. The 1st set were fine until about 90% worn then a bit dicey in the wet, however, the 2nd set at about 50% worn are crap in the wet. Either a different compound or another thought - these are the set that crossed the Simpson and I'm wondering if the hard work at low pressures on hot sand has perhaps generated extra heat that has hardened the rubber such that the grip in the wet is no longer as good.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby SPB on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 pm

I had BFG AT on my MK for about 9 years. Only one punture 9 inch nail through the tread. I replaced them with Good Year Wranglers AT and in 4 years Ive had 5 shredded tyres driving in the same areas, same car, same driving style.

So Guess what the MN is getting in two weeks? For me its BFG.
SPB

Postby deermaster on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 pm

SPB wrote:I had BFG AT on my MK for about 9 years. Only one punture 9 inch nail through the tread. I replaced them with Good Year Wranglers AT and in 4 years Ive had 5 shredded tyres driving in the same areas, same car, same driving style.

I would guess that the Goodyear Wranglers that you had before were the ones made in India. They were absolute shit and even the Goodyear rep will tell you the same. The new ones made in USA with Kevlar are the ducks guts and I was a died in the wool BFG man before. :D
deermaster

Postby SPB on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm

No they USA Silent Armour with Kevlar.
SPB

Postby deermaster on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:50 pm

SPB wrote:No they USA Silent Armour with Kevlar.

Shite, that's hard to believe. My mate runs them in NT too and he abuses them something fierce. Maybe you got a bad batch eh? I suppose theres good and bad ones of everything. Sorry to hear they were no good for you. I love mine. :D
deermaster

Postby DocBassett on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:53 pm

SPB wrote:I had BFG AT on my MK for about 9 years. Only one punture 9 inch nail through the tread. I replaced them with Good Year Wranglers AT and in 4 years Ive had 5 shredded tyres driving in the same areas, same car, same driving style.

I am the exact same as you- new wranglers mid last year and destroyed two relatively quickly. Also had a mate who destroyed a brand new wrangler mud tyre (luckily they covered it by warranty. I guess ultimately it depends on everyone's personal experiences. I will wait and see what my BFG's are like worn in the wet. But for know they are the bees knees :D
DocBassett

Postby Froggy on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm beginning to find the ST MAXX's a bit slippery in the wet when cold.
I'm wondering if this might be what people are noticing with the BFG's.
I find and the first few k's I do, the car wants to understeer at round abouts, but after that it seems fine.
Perhaps if you doing a lot of stop start driving in wet weather, the tyre's might be cooling out and thats what people are noticing.
Froggy

Postby Custom Offroad on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:00 am

Froggy wrote:I'm beginning to find the ST MAXX's a bit slippery in the wet when cold.
I find and the first few k's I do, the car wants to understeer at round abouts, but after that it seems fine.
Perhaps if you doing a lot of stop start driving in wet weather, the tyre's might be cooling out and thats what people are noticing.

Mate that is typical coopers! Cause they give their tyres a huge warranty they make the tyres out of harder compound so they can get high km's. The couple of sets of coopers I had all suffered the same problem.
Bash Plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad accessories......

viewforum.php?f=80
Custom Offroad

Postby butch 78 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 pm

My brother runs BFG ats and gets 100000 to 120000 thousand out of a set but he's a bit light footed , when I drive it its a bit lively in the rear but taking an LSD out of a for runner and putting a locker in it will do that. I've run coopers st got about 50000 out of them an they where half worn I got to many puncture in the old lux with them.
I got mickey 4 ribs on the triton since new awesome tyre been further on rocky stuff than mates with pro comp muddies and I've had to winch every bit they have in the mud and wet stuff have got 46000 out of them so far and they are about half worn starting to get to the smaller lug on the side .
We use our triton for everything towing ,4 wd , touring even going to town and every thing we have thrown at it. When it is pouring and I'm on some winding roads towing or not I stick it in all wheel drive ,I have it so I use it.
I'm happy with these tyres they are pricy they stop well ,corner well , and drive great in the wet , over all I feel safe with them .
But hey that's my 2cents worth.
butch 78

Postby GLR2012 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks for your help and opinions guys appreciate it. Ive allowed for more in my budget for tyres so im probably going to get BFGS or bridgestone ATR 697s. I went shopping for prices and 3 beaurepairs and 1 bob jane also suggested when the time comes to maybe consider the yokohama geolandern ATR, as apparently people have been really happy with them and are a great all rounder, has anyone had experience with these and could give me and other users feedback on them.
thanks again :D
GLR2012

Postby nealh82 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm

tyre guy i know that owns a bob jane and has been a family friend for close on 40 years suggested to me the pirelli scorpion ATR's. keep in mind this is for my ute, and 75% of my driving is on the black top the next 15% is sand and the rest gravel and a little mud. i have also had massive issues with the worlds slipperiest rubber being under my truck for the year i have owned it and have been struggling to keep it pointing the direction i want when it even looks like rain.

they probably aren't for everyone, but he puts them on his 'Lux and under his wifes car as well. i trust the bloke.
nealh82

Postby nealh82 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 pm

plus every other store i've gone to has tried to sell me their most expensive tyres, despite what i've told them i want to use them for.
nealh82

Postby odie602r on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Prestige Offroad wrote:
Froggy wrote:I'm beginning to find the ST MAXX's a bit slippery in the wet when cold.

Mate that is typical coopers! Cause they give their tyres a huge warranty they make the tyres out of harder compound so they can get high km's. The couple of sets of coopers I had all suffered the same problem.

Down here wet and cold are terms that get used fairly frequently to describe the weather conditions. I've had the Cooper ST Maxx for 15k now and through a full winter season, and haven't noticed the above.

I guess any tyre that is getting north of 50k life (as do 697's, BFG's etc from what I've been told from friends who have them) will by design have to have a harder compound - regardless of brand. That's why the sticky low profile sporty tyres are often only good for 15k on the road - phenomenal grip, but soft compound. To my knowledge, you can't have both! I would definitely buy another set of ST Maxx's, based on my experience to date with them.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm

odie602r wrote:
Prestige Offroad wrote:

Down here wet and cold are terms that get used fairly frequently to describe the weather conditions. I've had the Cooper ST Maxx for 15k now and through a full winter season, and haven't noticed the above.

I guess any tyre that is getting north of 50k life (as do 697's, BFG's etc from what I've been told from friends who have them) will by design have to have a harder compound - regardless of brand. That's why the sticky low profile sporty tyres are often only good for 15k on the road - phenomenal grip, but soft compound. To my knowledge, you can't have both! I would definitely buy another set of ST Maxx's, based on my experience to date with them.

Mine are up round 40k now and this is something I've only just started noticing.. I wasn't picking on the coopers, just saying that maybe this is what others are noticing with the bfgs.
I still rate these tyres very highly + will probably get another set when these are done!
Froggy

Postby daryn on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 pm

GLR2012 wrote:Thanks for your help and opinions guys appreciate it. Ive allowed for more in my budget for tyres so im probably going to get BFGS or bridgestone ATR 697s. I went shopping for prices and 3 beaurepairs and 1 bob jane also suggested when the time comes to maybe consider the yokohama geolandern ATR, as apparently people have been really happy with them and are a great all rounder, has anyone had experience with these and could give me and other users feedback on them.
thanks again :D

Had the yokies, soft rubber, handle great, but wear real quick, that was on the triton, now running the 697's on the Pajero, very very happy, expecting much better wear, handle just as good.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby anthraxx66 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:28 am

I love tyre threads... everyone is right, and just about everyone now runs the best (or the worst) tyres they've ever had!

Here's my 2 bobs worth:

- in very bit of tyre research I've ever done (for my current Triton ute, past cars, current and past work cars, current and past road bikes) I will always find someone who tells me a specific tyre is the greatest thing, and someone else will tell me that same tyre is the worst thing they've ever driven on. One person will say it's the quietest another will say it's the noisiest, someone will say it's fantastic in the wet, another will say its slippery, and so on.
- the country of manufacture can make a difference. I've personally experienced this first hand, buying 2 consecutive sets of tyres for a past vehicle where the company changed the country of manufacture. the two sets on the same vehicle were completely different.
- what I expect from a tyre, how I drive, and how I expect my vehicle/bike to behave will be completely different from another person. I know people who do not give a rats about how many ks' they get from a tyre, yet others rate how good a tyre is by how many k's they get out of them.
- acceptance of cost versus benefit will also vary immensley from person to person. for example: I'm happy to pay a bit more for a tyre with excellent wet road grip, and accept they may not last as long. Someone else is happy to buy cheaper tyres which provide looooong life, and happy to sacrifice wet grip...

There are so many variables, and so many different experiences that one tyre may be "great" for one person, but not for another. I tend to take the best comments out, and the worst comments out and then look at what's left and that generally gives me a pretty good idea. Then if I find the cost acceptable, i'll buy the tyres...
anthraxx66

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 am

True that ^^^
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion